Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Luvin*Livvy
Mouseketeer

Do you bring a video camera into the parks?

And if so....I think I'd like to get a new one! Something small and compact, but still produces good videos! I'm not impressed with the iPhone or the Droid cameras...they are OK..but aren't great once you get them on the computer or TV. I would like an actual video camera, digital video, etc...I love the videos the iPad takes, but I'm not bringing that into the parks!

Can you recommend one that is good for the parks?

Thanks!

Mommy to Olivia (7) & Ava(4)*~*~

Our 2012 Trip Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqhCZ9Y8Ds For mobile devices you can watch here: https://vimeo.com/59347155
Luvin*Livvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

You might try looking through the Photography board for some ideas. The sticky thread has a few links to some camcorder threads:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2603154
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
hotcarib
DIS Veteran

No way! I just record video on my phone or digi cam.
No way do I want to lug another piece of gear.

hotcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Luvin*Livvy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
You might try looking through the Photography board for some ideas. The sticky thread has a few links to some camcorder threads:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2603154
DUH! I forgot there was a photography board on here! Thanks!!!!

Our 2012 Trip Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqhCZ9Y8Ds For mobile devices you can watch here: https://vimeo.com/59347155
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I have a pocket camera that takes great videos too. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

So nice just having one camera to think about and easily be able to switch between movies and pictures with a click of my thumb!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Not us. If we want some video of us for any reason, we just use our iPhones. There are podcasts and youtube videos of just about every attraction so definitely no need to video any of that. I feel like asking every person I see videotaping Fantasmic if they have heard of youtube before.?.?.?.?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
chartle
DIS Veteran

I have a small Samsung pistol grip camcorder, that can also do stills. It has a real optical zoom, a small flash and the form factor fits my hand and shooting style. They no longer make that one but here is a similar one and its water proof to around 10 feet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...roof_Dual.html

Folded up they are not much bigger than my Droid Razr Max and can hang from a lanyard.

I could use my droid but I don't like how you have to hold it.

ETA: I picked the above camera to show what it looked like. I really don't know how good of a camera it is.

Last edited by chartle; 02-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Luvin*Livvy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
Not us. If we want some video of us for any reason, we just use our iPhones. There are podcasts and youtube videos of just about every attraction so definitely no need to video any of that. I feel like asking every person I see videotaping Fantasmic if they have heard of youtube before.?.?.?.?
I don't take video of the rides or anything like that.....just my kids with the characters, at the hotel, etc....I did a youtube video of our family vacation last year, but used my husband's iPhone videos, my SIL's regular video camera and then stills...but you can tell all the different qualities of video. I would like to have just one camera.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I'd just bring a decent p&s camera or spend the money you would spend on a camcorder towards a P&S . The reality is most of them do a really nice job shooting video, maybe not as nice as a dedicated camcorder, but close enough. The other added benefit is the fact that you have camera also. . The current versions of iPhone and android phons also do a nice job, but I still prefer a point and shoot camera for a vacation. For a daily walk around camera the phones are fine.

The one area that a camcorder is the best option is if you want to shoot something for long clips. Kids recitals or concerts, sporting events, etc.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

Last edited by mikegood2; 02-13-2013 at 06:34 PM.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I take one with me every year. Actually I've bought a new one several times for the express purpose of taking some video clips of DD and our vacation. WHY I bother is beyond me! I am USELESS!! At least half of the video clips on the cards start off for a few minutes with something of substance before the camera suddenly starts spinning around wildly to the tune of the shutter button of my camera as you can hear me focusing and taking photos, leaving the dang camcorder swinging around on my wrist, completely forgotten

We do have some good footage, 90% of which was captured by DD when SHE had the video camera. I have now officially given it to her as her own.

I would love to have some personal videos of us. Sure, you can watch clips on Youtube, but there is something nice about watching it and knowing you were there. And for personal memories, like clips of your kids, friends or family, you won't get that from a youtube search.

I took DD on a surprise trip in 2010 and a friend of mine kindly offered to edit the video clips and do something with them on my behalf on our return. From a 15 night stay, most of the short vid was made up of stills taken with a camera, which is testament to how little usable footage was actually brought home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j1IXRFgvo

I'd never tell someone not to take a video camera if they were going to use it. I think its great. I'm just not very good at it, lol
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvin*Livvy View Post
And if so....I think I'd like to get a new one! Something small and compact, but still produces good videos! I'm not impressed with the iPhone or the Droid cameras...they are OK..but aren't great once you get them on the computer or TV. I would like an actual video camera, digital video, etc...I love the videos the iPad takes, but I'm not bringing that into the parks!

Can you recommend one that is good for the parks?

Thanks!
What do you want to do with the video? Do you want a traditional camcorder with some optical zoom or are you looking at a small Flip/Bloggie/Playsport type camera? And what is the budget?

You said you love the video the iPad takes but not the iPhone? I believe the current models use the same camera (can an Apple fan verify this?). Personally I've been using the heck out of the camera on my newest Android phone for video. It is a full 1080p and way better than my older Droid Incredible and better than DH's iPad 2. But a lot comes down to which phone you have. There are great cameras on some models, others not so much.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
carver922
Earning My Ears

We take it everywhere

We have a Kodak playsport. It is very small, smaller than our iPhones. Handles HD pretty well (not great zoom though). However, most of our videos of are us being silly at Disney world. We don't really focus on the major objects around us. (We use the internet pictures for that). It is a great camera to take on the rides and watch our kid's face as he rides a roller coaster or an old favorite. It also takes still shots as well.

Did I mention that it also goes underwater up to 10 feet! Our favorite part of the camera. We love taking it to typhoon lagoon and into our pool at the hotel.
carver922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

We carry micro 4/3 cameras which are good still cameras *and* good video cameras. Since these are mirrorless there is no difference in operation between stills and video, in fact these cameras can take full resolution stills in the middle of a video session.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Luvin*Livvy
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I would be using the videos just to have "home movies" at home and to probably make another Disney trip video later on...like on youtube or whatever. I don't tape the rides or shows....just a few little clips of my kids watching them...or if they are included in somewhat...I tape US in Disney....being silly, eating, interacting with characters, at the resort, etc.. But I like a decent quality video, not pixilated the way I find our phone video cameras to be. I'm going to look into all of these. We need a new video camera for our beach trips and stuff.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
mcraige
DIS Veteran

Yes, I bring both a digital camera and a digital video camera. In the past, DW would use the digital camera (a P&S) and I would video practically everything. Now that I have a DSLR, I took more pictures and less videos. Since my DSLR will only record about 10-minutes of video at a time, I use my camcorder for longer recordings (parades, F!, etc.). I have a DCR-SX63 (have had it for several years now), but now wish I had gotten an HD model.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: