Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
aburleson3
Earning My Ears

San juan

Any advice on touring the el yunque rain Forrest in San Juan? Has anyone used the Disney excursion for this or a private company?
aburleson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
geekboy
Platinum Castaway Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburleson3 View Post
Any advice on touring the el yunque rain Forrest in San Juan? Has anyone used the Disney excursion for this or a private company?
I used a private company that I booked via the Caribe Hilton's Tour Desk. We went in a 16-pax mini-bus, and did the "moderate" hiking tour. It was actually much milder than I expected, but the incline was pretty steep where we wandered into the forest. We must have been the luckiest tour group ever, because we went into the forest around 10AM and was there for 3 hours, yet it didn't rain. And this was in July (actually July 4th weekend). Make sure you heed all the recommendations with regards to wearing comfortable walking shoes (I would wear sneakers or hiking shoes... not flip flops!), bring some rain gear, some small snacks, and some bottled water. We had a backpack with some snacks and water in the backpack, plus hats and an umbrella.

We went to the Yokahu Tower and went in near La Mina Falls but I don't remember exactly. Only that it was a very steep climb at first. From my pictures, the tour guide wore a polo shirt that read "Group Services, Inc.". You could probably also check out Viator which seems to be the largest tour consolidator that I know.
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/2013
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/2013
Disney Magic (3-Night Repositioning San Juan to Canaveral) 10/18/2014
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburleson3 View Post
I woudn't use a private company if you want to go there. I went years ago (on vacation to PR) - El Yunque is about 45-hour (or more, depending on how much of the rainforest you explore) away from the port. If you get delayed for some reason you may miss your ship if you're with an outside group.
Miumiu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy View Post
I used a private company that I booked via the Caribe Hilton's Tour Desk. We went in a 16-pax mini-bus, and did the "moderate" hiking tour. It was actually much milder than I expected, but the incline was pretty steep where we wandered into the forest. We must have been the luckiest tour group ever, because we went into the forest around 10AM and was there for 3 hours, yet it didn't rain. And this was in July (actually July 4th weekend). Make sure you heed all the recommendations with regards to wearing comfortable walking shoes (I would wear sneakers or hiking shoes... not flip flops!), bring some rain gear, some small snacks, and some bottled water. We had a backpack with some snacks and water in the backpack, plus hats and an umbrella.

We went to the Yokahu Tower and went in near La Mina Falls but I don't remember exactly. Only that it was a very steep climb at first. From my pictures, the tour guide wore a polo shirt that read "Group Services, Inc.". You could probably also check out Viator which seems to be the largest tour consolidator that I know.

Did you encounter many mosquitos? Would you advise old shoes? Was it muddy? Don't want to ruin a nice pair of shoes.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
JimGA
Mouseketeer

If you go to El Yunque definately book it through DCL. Puerto Rico is very un-predicatable and has its share of violence.

I have been to the rain forest on all three of my visits, not on a cruise though. You never know what you will get as far as weather, but be prepared to get wet and muddy.

Last time we visited 2 years ago there was not a cloud in the sky, it was so beautiful, we could see all the way to the ocean.

IMO, I would stroll around Old San Juan instead of heading out to the rain forest if I was going there on a cruise. The rain forest is nice, but nothing great.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer

I'd also recommend old San Juan over anything else. It's a lovely (and very safe) place.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
Did you encounter many mosquitos? Would you advise old shoes? Was it muddy? Don't want to ruin a nice pair of shoes.
It's extremely muddy. Use old shoes.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
geekboy
Platinum Castaway Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
We used Off! DEET Deep Woods. I don't recall many mosquitoes, but they usually don't like me anyhow (they don't make me itch). I would not wear my nice new pair of white sneakers or any "good" pair of shoes. These should be worn-in hiking shoes/boots or a good pair of sneakers that you don't mind getting dirty. The ground and path was very wet, parts covered with green moss, and the paths had lots of erosion damage on the edges.

I booked outside the cruise because I was not there on the cruise at that time. When I was on the Fantasy, I just walked around Old San Juan and went to Fort Morro and Fort Critobol in the city. I would not have booked this through the Caribe if I were actually cruising at the time.
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/2013
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/2013
Disney Magic (3-Night Repositioning San Juan to Canaveral) 10/18/2014
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: