Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

50's Primetime - What's your experience?

I'm trying to decide if I should book this for our group or not. My DD and I went last summer and although our server was nice, he did not have the same gig as other servers around us.

Just wondering what the normal 'schtick' is like? Is it a fun, playful humor or more sarcastic and/or embarrassing? I'm not sure the group I'm going with would be into being embarrassed and I know what sarcasm is not our choice of humor.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

I went one time and I don't care to go back. I love being goofy and having a good time and laughing but I just didn't get into this. I felt like our waitress was more sarcastic and seemed on a power trip. I don't know if that is how it was supposed to be or not. It could also be at that point in the day, I was just really tired and hot, and the last thing I wanted to do was pay a decent amount of money to be uncomfortable.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

We've been twice and my family loves it. My kids get a kick out of the "cousin" picking on their parents! The type of experience really depends on your server. A good server will read the group and tone it down if you are not responsive to their antics. Likewise, if you laugh or egg them on, they will run with it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
I'm trying to decide if I should book this for our group or not. My DD and I went last summer and although our server was nice, he did not have the same gig as other servers around us.

Just wondering what the normal 'schtick' is like? Is it a fun, playful humor or more sarcastic and/or embarrassing? I'm not sure the group I'm going with would be into being embarrassed and I know what sarcasm is not our choice of humor.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Here is my review on Primetime 50s we were here a few monmths ago loved it. Pics & experience at this link:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...er-review.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

Much of it is contingent upon the waiter or waitress. The last time we went, our server was terrible.

Then again, I plan on going back this year simply for the S'mores dessert and the drinks.
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I loooove the antics and atmosphere! Its hilarious and a lot of fun! Our waitress was amazing, she played it well. She kept scolding me, my son loved it. Lol!

As for the food, I had the fried chicken...I found it a bit too salty. But it was good otherwise. My fave item there was the PB&J shake, and the apple crumble with icecream. OMG so yummy!!!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
JanB
DIS Veteran

As you previously observed, there will be a mix of approaches among the servers. You can never really know which sort of server you will get. Also, you can never know which person in your party the server will choose to focus on. It's not always the parents. If you choose to go, I think that you have to be prepared for anything from nice & bland to a little fun-loving all the way to really pushing it (and maybe not seeing when they should back off, which we have encountered).

We have been several times because the menu is appealing to us, but we stopped going. Our son dreaded the possibility of being the target. My husband and I could take it, but it honestly was more annoying than entertaining. Clearly everyone doesn't view the experience the same way.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I think with this mix of people I'm going to skip it to err on the side of caution.

Think I'll book Mama Melrose's Fantasmic Dinner Package instead.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helped greatly in making my decision!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
As you previously observed, there will be a mix of approaches among the servers. You can never really know which sort of server you will get. Also, you can never know which person in your party the server will choose to focus on. It's not always the parents. If you choose to go, I think that you have to be prepared for anything from nice & bland to a little fun-loving all the way to really pushing it (and maybe not seeing when they should back off, which we have encountered).

We have been several times because the menu is appealing to us, but we stopped going. Our son dreaded the possibility of being the target. My husband and I could take it, but it honestly was more annoying than entertaining. Clearly everyone doesn't view the experience the same way.
We felt the same way !!! I mean, we love having fun (it IS WDW), but it was a bit much--- A one-time only for us
tinkerhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

My wife and I *LOVE* the 50's Prime Time Cafe. It's truly unique within the WDW dining experience because it has such a comfortable down-to-earth atmosphere.

That said, I don't think our 7yo kids like it quite as much as we do, perhaps because they're used to being told to wash their hands and eat their vegetables, so that bit of novelty is lost on them. But the food is delicious, and they definitely get a kick out of the water making me eat my greens, etc.

If you have kids, and at least one parent is into playing along (e.g. "Do I HAVE to eat my beans?"), then you'll have a lot of fun.

For us, it's the perfect place for lunch after the Indiana Jones stunt show. It's right next to the show, and helps us slow down and relax for a bit.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I haven't been in years but was more embarrassed and annoyed than anything. This (plus the average food) explains why we haven't been back.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

My son and I love 50's Primetime. The food is plentiful, and much like down home cooking.

This is my son't fave restaurant. He loves the playful atmosphere, and wants the servers to pick on him LOL

The last time we were there, we were seated on the other side of an older couple. They were having a great time, and jokingly bickering about something they were eating. Their server Cousin Mary "warned" them about arguing at the table...they kept it up and Cousin Mary put the wife in the corner, literally!! Her husband got a kick out of it, and everyone in the room roared with laughter. She had to stand there for 5 minutes.

It was the most fun experience we had at 50's Primetime.

Me DS 18

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP),
March 2014 - POP, May 2014 Rock Your Disney Side! 24 hr event - POP
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Paradise18
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed our meal there. I had the pot roast and thought it was fantastic. Having read reviews of the restaurant prior to going I think I expected more from the server. Maybe we just had one of the mild ones or he sensed a vibe that we wouldn't be interested. Either way it wouldn't stop me from going again.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Last time we went, we had Uncle Dale and he was great. Funny, but not too harsh and a very nice guy. During the same visit I saw another waitress across the room berating people and blowing a whistle at them and stuff. Not really my cup of tea, so I don't think I'd return. I'd be too nervous to get someone whose not quite as nice as Uncle Dale!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
funkbucket007
Incinerate

We've had a mixed bag of servers but it's still a must every year for us. It's my DW's fave so we actually do it twice every trip. We've never been in "trouble" but get a kick out of those that do.
"We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us." - Walt Disney

Me DW DS/11 DS/7

funkbucket007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: