Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #31
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Thanks SO MUCH everyone! I would have replied sooner but have been caught up in a ton of stuff that hit my family all at once! You all are amazing! Such a wealth of info, I appreciate it!
So if I understand right... the decorations go up little by little from the beginning of November on... and are "complete" by a few days after the Christmas Parade... which is Thanksgiving weekend?
I'd ideally like to go:
A. When all Christmas decorations are up
B. When weather is hopefully warmest for that time of year
C. During as low of a pricing season as possible for that time of year
D. Low crowds if possible.
For those preferences... is first week of December probably the "ideal" time?
canadawithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
Beach Club Villas. How about you?
We are doing a split stay between WL and CR.
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
o2bnoz
I'm more like Eeyore and Pooh than I care to admit...

Loving this thread because we will be there December 1-8th

I have been to DisneyLand at Christmastime several times, but never Disney World. So excited!

I've been to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, but not to MVMCP. Can anyone tell me what all happens at MVMCP?

I can't wait!!!!

Dee
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #34
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynBeth

We are doing a split stay between WL and CR.
We love our Home Resort Beach Club Villas but I have to say I did consider booking at Villas at WL. I'll bet it's so cozy at Christmas time. I can't wait to see Disney during the holiday season!!!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
aml3679
Kita's Mom

We went 10 years ago in early December and loved it. The crowds were manageable. The DVMCP was wonderful, best fireworks ever. We are going this December for 11 nights and staying on site at The Wilderness Lodge. Plan on attending the DVMCP again, seeing LaNouba, and, visiting the resorts besides park time.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #36
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys View Post
Thanks SO MUCH everyone! I would have replied sooner but have been caught up in a ton of stuff that hit my family all at once! You all are amazing! Such a wealth of info, I appreciate it!
So if I understand right... the decorations go up little by little from the beginning of November on... and are "complete" by a few days after the Christmas Parade... which is Thanksgiving weekend?
My understanding is the Christmas decorations will be complete before Thanksgiving. The taping of the Christmas parade is typically the first weekend in December. If I am mistaken I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys View Post
I'd ideally like to go:
A. When all Christmas decorations are up
B. When weather is hopefully warmest for that time of year
C. During as low of a pricing season as possible for that time of year
D. Low crowds if possible.
For those preferences... is first week of December probably the "ideal" time?
You can never tell for sure about the weather. In December you can have days where the high temps are in the 80's, or the 50's, or anywhere in between. Best to go prepared with clothing you can layer as it is often chilly in the morning then warm and sunny in the afternoon, so you will want to have layers you can remove.

But, I can tell you that early December typically has low prices and low crowds. Not as low crowds as there used to be, but still lower than many other times of the year. Crowd levels should be in the 1-3 range many days in certain parks.

The only thing to keep in mind is that Pop Warner football groups are usually there the first week of December. It doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the park experience except for the occasional group of squealing cheerleaders you might come across. But they generally stay at the All Stars, so you might want to avoid that resort during that time.

First two weeks of December is my favorite time to go!
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #37
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
We love our Home Resort Beach Club Villas but I have to say I did consider booking at Villas at WL. I'll bet it's so cozy at Christmas time. I can't wait to see Disney during the holiday season!!!
We plan to make time to resort hop again this trip. We liked the decorations at BC,YC, and BW as well as GF, Poly, CR, and WL. Before our last trip we had never been during the holiday season so all the resort decorations and the decorations at the parks were spectacular to us. We loved the Osbourne Lights and can't wait to see the CP again. It will be our first time seeing the MK tree and attending MVMCP. We don't have a home resort. This will be my 6th trip and we have stayed at a different resort each trip including offsite my second trip as a kid. This trip will be my second staying at CR which was my first ever resort. My husband never went to Disney with his family as a kid or as an adult before we were married. So far we have been alternating between deluxe and mod. We don't have kids unless you count the dog.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #38
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

We are out of double digits, 9 months to go!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #39
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

You will love Disney at Christmas time! We went a couple of years ago and just had a fantastic time. We did the Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party too and that was awesome.

I think our weather was a fluke. We went the second week in December and it was really really cold. I think we had a couple of days where the highs were only in the 40's. Luckily we brought warm clothes, hats, gloves, etc.

I would do it again in a heart beat!

Have a wonderful time!
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #40
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

The weather is really hard to predict as far as a specific week. The best advice is for Dec - Feb is to bring both shorts / t-shirts and jeans & sweatshirt or light jacket (also gloves & hat may be needed.) You can rent a locker to store all of your cold weather gear in for the evening if you're planning on staying after the sun goes down.

I live here and just to give an example -- a few weeks ago, there was cold snap and it was very, very cold for a few days. Then it warmed up for a few weeks and then this past weekend, I was at a hotel watching Wishes fireworks and it was cold and windy.

I went to one the parks a few weeks ago during the cold snap and it was bit of a pain to keep taking the jackets and hats/gloves off each time we went indoors.

I've had my annual pass since April and really enjoyed the Christmas decorations and extras (Osbourne lights although crowded, Candlelight & Storytellers at EPCOT.) I would recommend coming to Disney at least one time over the holidays.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
CynBeth
DIS Veteran

Red face

How much is a locker rental at MK and is it the same cost at all of the parks?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #42
atomicgirl
Mouseketeer

the first week of December typically has very low crowds (except for MK the day of taping the Christmas parade!). weather can be....anything! freezing (to us floridians! ) or very comfortably warm.

IIRC, the HS lights start the first weekend in December, but not positive about that. and if you are around when they are on - they are amazing!!

Christmas in the parks is wonderful!!

"Faint heart never won fair lady."
atomicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #43
bcinohio
DIS Veteran

What kind of wait times are we to expect Dec 8-13? We have never been at Christmas and we can not wait. We usually go in summer when crowds are 8-9 levels. Just curious as to what to expect. We always go for rope drop.

Thanks

bcinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #44
JenniD44
Mouseketeer

We have gone the week after Thanksgiving (late Nov, early Dec) several times. It's just wonderful with all the Christmas decorations and special events. The weather can be a bit iffy. One year we had to wear several layers, North Face jackets, and gloves to be in the parks after dark. No pool days that year. Another year we were able to go to a water park because it was in the 80s. Being from Canada, you will probably be happy with the weather because it's usually pretty nice.

I was planning a trip for spring break this year, but we couldn't do it. We now have reservations for Thanksgiving week. It's a week earlier than we usually go, but the kids can't really miss school like they could in preschool. I"m still excited for the Christmas spirit.
JenniD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #45
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinohio View Post
What kind of wait times are we to expect Dec 8-13? We have never been at Christmas and we can not wait. We usually go in summer when crowds are 8-9 levels. Just curious as to what to expect. We always go for rope drop.

Thanks
we are going the same week. I expect crowds to be about the same as they are the last two weeks in August/Sept.

I have been "studying" Dec for the past two years--lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: