Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Disney World in December (Christmas season)

I am starting to lean towards a Disney World trip in early December, but have a few questions about that time of year! I hope this is the right forum for these questions!

During December, do the Christmas lights come on every evening after dark, or do they only come on for the "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party"? (It's in Magic Kingdom, right?) If I understand right... you have to pay separate admission to stay in the park during that time and you get booted out when it begins? Or could you stay but just not ride any rides? Are there different parades that happen during the Christmas party as opposed to the ones during the daytime? I would really love to see Disney all lit up, I'm sure it's beautiful in person!

Does the Magic Kingdom still feel "Disney Magical" or does the Christmas atmosphere kind of take over? I love Christmas, but I also love the feeling of Magic Kingdom the way I think of it, which is kind of a "loaded with magic, hot summer vacation feel".

Does "It's a Small World" change to a Christmas theme the way Disneyland's does? I searched on the net but it always brings up Disneyland's Small World. I know it sounds silly, but my boys love the rides as they know them and I think they might be somewhat disappointed if the rides were totally different than usual, etc.

What's to be expected of the weather? I have heard it varies hugely! I'm wondering if it will likely be too cold to have a pool day at our hotel, etc. Is it warm enough to "sit out by the pool" or do people pretty much stay away from that in December? I'm from Canada, and part of the thrill of coming down there during the winter is being able to be warm, wear shorts, go swimming, etc. I saw photos of people wearing puffy winter jackets during the Christmas season and I was surprised! I'm assuming it was people who are from around the area, and not Canadians but still. We went at the end of September last year and to me it felt deathly hot and humid (though I was thankful it was warm) and I figured that December might be a little more moderate. Does the temperature etc change THAT much by December? Maybe it would feel warm to us, and just not to those who live in the area? Or is it chilly to everyone? (any people from cold climates who have been to Orlando in December want to chime in?)

Thanks so much in advance, any opinions are totally appreciated!! :D
canadawithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I haven't been to WDW during Christmastime, but just wanted to say to the DIS!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

moving to the theme parks board

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Jen0504
Mouseketeer

We absolutely love going at the beginning of December. You get all the wonderful Holiday experiences without the crowds. Now to answer some of your questions....

1) They do light the castle every night even if it's a MVMCP night. However, if it is a MVMCP night you will either need to purchase a ticket to stay at the park past party time, or you will need to leave. I would recommend doing the party at least once if you've never done it. It is amazing!!

2) You will definitely still experience and feel the Disney Magic during the Holiday Season.

3)No, Small World does not change at all during the Holiday Season.

Hope that helps. Ohhh, another thing.....if you go during this time don't miss Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios!!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Jen0504
Mouseketeer

Ohhh forgot to mention we always had great weather when we were there at that time too. Very little rain, and pleasant temps. I usually wear capris or jeans, a t-shirt, and I bring a light jacket in case I need it in the evening.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen0504
Ohhh forgot to mention we always had great weather when we were there at that time too. Very little rain, and pleasant temps. I usually wear capris or jeans, a t-shirt, and I bring a light jacket in case I need it in the evening.
We went this year between Christmas and New Years.

It's a small worked did not get changed.
It's still Disney magic, but with Christmas magic too,
Yes, the party is sep admission, and you have to leave.
It's beautiful!

We even went swimming Christmas Day, but two days later the high was 50f and it got in the low 30s at night.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
cammie810
Mouseketeer

Early December is a great time to go!! All of the resorts and theme parks are decorated for Christmas. We have been several times and the weather can vary alot.....one year it was very chilly during the day and we saw many families wearing shorts freezing their butts off. This past year it was beautiful...shorts during the day and jeans and a sweatshirt at night. Either way it will be warmer than Canada! Like another poster said the Osborne Spectacle of lights at MGM is not to be missed. Plus, Epcot has different storytellers in every country and the candlelight processional. All of this is included with your park admission. The only separate ticketed event is the Christmas party at the MK.
cammie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Disneyaunt4
I wonder what they put in that waxy little stick that make my lips crave it
I am a huge animal lover
No chili this year

and the beginning of December is an AWESOME time to go, you will not be disappointed
Disneyaunt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

We "just got back" from Disney Christmas (Dec 6-14th). It was HOT. We swam every day. But some years, it has been frigged, so hot weather is not guaranteed.

There are tons of christmas things, but none of the rides change.
MK has the party, lighted castle and holiday add on to the projections show.
Epcot has Candlelight Processional and a special ending to IllumiNations.
DHS has the Osbourne Lights (a must do).
AK has a special daytime parade and the santa village at Camp Minnie Mickey

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Last edited by Raenstoirm; 02-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Redarrow5150
DIS Veteran

Disney during Christmas was incredible. I want to go again and probably will someday but you will not be disappointed. My only concern is going during peak season like Christmas time with the enforcement of the fast pass. We don't have the option of going in early December with the spouse being a teacher.
Redarrow5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for moving this to the proper forum, I wasn't sure where to put it!
And thank you so much everyone for your input! Ok, I'm totally becoming more set on the idea of going now!
Does Magic Kingdom still run it's "regular" parades during the Christmas season? I LOVE the Electrical Parade, and would hate to miss it!
Is the weather such, in general, that you could hope to get a bit of a tan? :D Or is that asking a bit much? SO true that it will be warmer than Canada, regardless, LOL!!
canadawithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I just booked our second trip for 2013 for December 8th-15th. We've never been this time of year either and I'm excited to see it all decorated for the holidays. We are bringing my cousin, his children and my aunt and uncle, none have ever been to Disney. I can't wait!

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
hannahryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys
Thanks so much for moving this to the proper forum, I wasn't sure where to put it!
And thank you so much everyone for your input! Ok, I'm totally becoming more set on the idea of going now!
Does Magic Kingdom still run it's "regular" parades during the Christmas season? I LOVE the Electrical Parade, and would hate to miss it!
Is the weather such, in general, that you could hope to get a bit of a tan? :D Or is that asking a bit much? SO true that it will be warmer than Canada, regardless, LOL!!
Best time of the year to go, even more magical than usual! Yes, regular parades run during the time you ill be there. Yes, you can get a tan! I was just in Orlando in early January and laid by the pool for 2 hours and got sunburn.

Dad Myself Hannah (17) Ryan (15) Isabella (9) Ryder (6) Madeline (3)
hannahryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
OLIVIA'S DADDY
Mouseketeer

It's our favorite time to go! The weather is high 70's to mid 80's, not too hot, not too cold, just right. Sometimes it does get chilly at night (50's) but we like that type of weather, we hate if it's too hot.

The Disney magic is enhanced in my opinion, the decorations make it that much better and the christmas music, parade, and Christmas feel is amazing.

MVMCP is a must do at least once. Its not in the park every night, only 3 or 4days out of the week so you only get kicked out once in a while if you are not attending.

Also, the first week in December usually has light crowds, right before the holiday rush and schools getting out.

Enjoy your trip!
OLIVIA'S DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: