Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Traveling with Pets?

Do you travel with your pets? I hate to leave my dogs at home, I have 2 of them, a lab mix and chihuahua. Anyone travel with their dogs? It's really hard to try to find a place to accept my lab, because she is 88 lbs.

I'm looking at going to Lancaster or somewhere in that area. I'm also afraid that she will bark if I leave her since I never have left her and get us kicked out
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Lunchlady
Mouseketeer

We ALWAYS travel with our furbaby. She is family. We stay at La Quinta. They have free breakfast which is a money saver and she can stay in the room while we are out. I have been at some where you hear dogs and sometimes they are quiet. They are very understanding about dogs since they get the pet travelers. When we drove to California last summer we stayed in one and our baby freaked out in the elevator and peed in the floor. My husband went to clean it up but they were right on it. Wouldn't let thim do it. Needless to say he had to carry her up and down the steps from then on.We wouldn't stay anywhere else while traveling. And they DON"T charge for pets.
Lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchlady View Post
We ALWAYS travel with our furbaby. She is family. We stay at La Quinta. They have free breakfast which is a money saver and she can stay in the room while we are out. I have been at some where you hear dogs and sometimes they are quiet. They are very understanding about dogs since they get the pet travelers. When we drove to California last summer we stayed in one and our baby freaked out in the elevator and peed in the floor. My husband went to clean it up but they were right on it. Wouldn't let thim do it. Needless to say he had to carry her up and down the steps from then on.We wouldn't stay anywhere else while traveling. And they DON"T charge for pets.
Do you have a small furbaby?? I noticed that there is normally a weight limit, and have yet to find any that exceed 50lbs. My furbaby is 85lbs (lab/dalmation mix) and I also have another furbaby that is 19lbs, so no problem taking her with me.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

We travel with our German shepherd. Try bringfido.com and search for no weight limit. I've had good luck using them.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminmd View Post
We travel with our German shepherd. Try bringfido.com and search for no weight limit. I've had good luck using them.
Thanks! I will check it out!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

No, we don't travel with our dogs. Primarily because we usually travel a long distance and fly and when we drive, they don't like the car. We have a great kennel near our house where we leave them. I think that's much better for them to be in a familiar place than to spend hours in the car or cooped up in a strange hotel room. How can that be fun for a dog?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
ReneeQ
DIS Veteran

I have a very spoiled 12 year old 5 pound Pomeranian. Sometimes he goes with us, sometimes not, depends on where we are going. If we can't take him, I am lucky that my Mom can come stay at our house with him. He has never been boarded. We had a reunion last October, and the hotel didn't allow pets. My Mom was out of town. I BEGGED my vet, and she kept him at her house. She knows how spoiled he is!

Mom to one spoiled furbaby and Aunt to two spoiled nephews
ReneeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
No, we don't travel with our dogs. Primarily because we usually travel a long distance and fly and when we drive, they don't like the car. We have a great kennel near our house where we leave them. I think that's much better for them to be in a familiar place than to spend hours in the car or cooped up in a strange hotel room. How can that be fun for a dog?
It probably depends on the dog. One of my daughter's rescue dogs had been abandoned at a shelter not once, but twice. My daughter later worked in a shelter and she couldn't even take the dog to events there, because the poor "child" thought she was being turned in again. She would be miserable in a kennel, no matter how nice.

After a few years of hiring dog/house sitters or bringing her 250 miles for us to dog sit, she moved next door. Now we're the built in sitters. The dogs are very happy with us when the kids are away.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Also try dogfriendly.com.

Another chain that doesn't charge is Red Roof Inn.

Hope this helps!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Choice hotels, some of the hilton brands, Embassy suites and some Best Westerns are all pet friendly or have pet friendly rooms. We board our dog-or leave him with his breeder when we go somewhere its not appropriate for him to go.-but we also show him. and i have friends who also show. Its not unheard of for a friend an i to share a room-with our three Bernese Mountain dogs-at a show. Three Berners trump your lab mix-LOL.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

No- I Never travel with my pets....I pay the kids next door to take care of them. I don't want the hassle of caring for them while away. Maybe if we RV'd,I might take some of them....
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
No- I Never travel with my pets....I pay the kids next door to take care of them. I don't want the hassle of caring for them while away. Maybe if we RV'd,I might take some of them....
This is something I have been looking into, renting an rv and taking them with me!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Choice hotels, some of the hilton brands, Embassy suites and some Best Westerns are all pet friendly or have pet friendly rooms. We board our dog-or leave him with his breeder when we go somewhere its not appropriate for him to go.-but we also show him. and i have friends who also show. Its not unheard of for a friend an i to share a room-with our three Bernese Mountain dogs-at a show. Three Berners trump your lab mix-LOL.
Yes, your 3 dogs trump my lab by a long run!!! LOL
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
mrspaha
Mouseketeer

We don't travel much anymore, but we have taken ours a few times and stayed at a Best Western. We took her crate, and when we did have to leave her alone in the room (for short periods of time only), we put her in the crate. I also told the front desk if we left her, and gave them my cell phone number if there were any problems.
mrspaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
minnie1928
WDW addict

If you decide to leave them at home, I found this great site www.dogvacay.com. It's a listing of people who dogsit in their home. I found a GREAT dogsitter to watch my lil boy when we travel. She spoils him like crazy, he gets to play with her 3 little dogs and then they all sleep in her bed at night. And the price (set by each person) is only $20/night and she only watches 1 family of pets per night. So I know that it's only him playing with her dogs, no chance of other bigger, scarier dogs coming over (he's afraid of the big boys). It's been a life saver for us.

LMT Loser and proud of it!

U u
minnie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: