Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
catra121
DIS Veteran

I personally prefer taking Disney transportation and that has pretty much been buses for me based on where I have stayed. Last trip was with my parents and brother and since we stayed at Bonnet Creek instead of onsite (I did not care for it at all) my parents drove us to the parks every day. I did not like it at all and I wasn't even the one driving.

I just feel more relaxed taking the buses. I don't mind waiting in line and if I really want a seat (which I have to have now due to physical limitations) I will wait for the next one. Buses come pretty quickly in my opinion. Also keep in mind that while the drive itself may be quicker...parking, walking, taking the tram, etc does add up. The buses drop you off right at the front gate to the parks.

It really just depends on your personality more than anything. I don't want to or like to drive...hate dealing with parking lots and such. Some people REALLY HATE waiting in line so even if it's not a long wait it FEELS to them like they are waiting forever. Do whatever leaves you less stressed and happier. Since you will have the car anyway maybe start out with Disney transportation and then switch to driving if you end up liking that better.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZombie View Post
Well I'm still on the Fence about it but I'm shaping a map out by the responses, I think for Epcot, MK, and DTD we will rely on the transportation, and drive to animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios.

@ Redkel
Thanks for the Wedding wishes, very excited.

Again thanks for the helps guys, Opinions and experiences are always nice.
I personally would never wait for a DtD bus if going there from my own resort, if I had my own car. The buses to DtD are notoriously infrequent, compared to park buses. I'd definitely drive there.

As far as parks go, we like to drive to all of them except MK. Since you have to park at the TTC, and then walk or tram to the ferry or monorail, driving doesn't necessarily save you much time versus waiting on a bus which drops you off right in front of MK. No other park has this scenario, so driving to them really can save time versus waiting on a bus.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
mm1971
DIS Veteran

We rent a car and drive most of the time. We usually stay at POR/POFQ. It's just easier for us since we kind of "wing it" a lot. We park hop sometimes, do half days, go only for EMH and things like that. I know that most people plan, we just like to relax on vacation and not stress.

The few times we have taken the busses, admittedly at busy times, it just took too long to get where we were going. For example, we took a bus from CBR to Typhoon Lagoon. If you go out the hotel and take a left, TL is right down the street. On the bus, we take a right and go to 3 DTD stops first. Took almost an hour by the time we got there. I know this may be an extreme, but it does happen. After fantastic, it's nice not to have to fight the crowds for a bus and at both EPCOT and AK you can park close enough to just walk from the car to and from the parks.

Just our preference. I can see the benefits of just hopping on a bus and letting someone else bring you where your going and have friends that would never drive.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
jgh
Peter Pan!

I also wanted to congratulate you! How exciting! My fiance and I will be going down April 2014 for our Honeymoon.

As far as the transportation I much, much prefer the buses to anything else. There are several reasons for this...
1) I don't like having to worry about my car when I'm on vacation. Gas, parking, etc. I just like to leave it in it's parking spot at the hotel. It's kind of helps complete the "break from reality" that Disney gives.
2) You often have much further to walk to your car than you do to a bus stop. After a long day in the park, I'd rather walk to my bus stop and sit on a bench or the ground than walk all the way to my car. ...even if you wait for a tram...the way I see it, you almost might as well wait for a bus anyway.
3) I find riding the buses/boats/monorails in between parks to be FUN. You get to sit...which is often the best part.
4) Occasionally you get a doubly awesome bus driver who starts your Disney day off & your ride to or from a park with an even more happy note!

I always feel like if I'm driving I'm missing out on something! Not sure why!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
DisneyZombie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
I personally would never wait for a DtD bus if going there from my own resort, if I had my own car. The buses to DtD are notoriously infrequent, compared to park buses. I'd definitely drive there.

As far as parks go, we like to drive to all of them except MK. Since you have to park at the TTC, and then walk or tram to the ferry or monorail, driving doesn't necessarily save you much time versus waiting on a bus which drops you off right in front of MK. No other park has this scenario, so driving to them really can save time versus waiting on a bus.
I mean the Ferry's for Downtown because we're staying at POFQ and they have a ferry boat that goes directly DTD.

The ferry's should be a lot better since its from the two Po resorts as opposed to buses shared by all.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #21
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
I mean the Ferry's for Downtown because we're staying at POFQ and they have a ferry boat that goes directly DTD.

The ferry's should be a lot better since its from the two Po resorts as opposed to buses shared by all.
That boat is nice, but it is a LONG trip. If time is of the essence, I'd still drive to DtD. We stayed at POFQ before, and while we enjoyed the trip, we ended up using our car the next time we went to DtD. 5 minutes vs. 45 minutes (including the wait for the boat).
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
DisneyZombie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
I also wanted to congratulate you! How exciting! My fiance and I will be going down April 2014 for our Honeymoon.
Thank you and Congrats Right back to you. I hope the wedding goes great and the trip is heaven.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
DisneyZombie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
That boat is nice, but it is a LONG trip. If time is of the essence, I'd still drive to DtD. We stayed at POFQ before, and while we enjoyed the trip, we ended up using our car the next time we went to DtD. 5 minutes vs. 45 minutes (including the wait for the boat).
Thanks that's helpful to know, I'm just nervous at the thought of driving since we will be drinking while we're in downtown and as said we don't intend to get wasted but the boat even if it is long might be safer.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would like a little advice on whether we should drive to the parks and DTD or use the buses and such. We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter if that helps and we will be down with our own car. We will be going in October 22 to 27. I want to Say we will be early risers at 7am for parks opening at 9am but my fiance might put up a fight over that one.

I've read good and Bad about the Buses that transport you around the parks.
I'm just not sure if it would be better to drive or relax since this is our honeymoon and let Disney do the driving. We do intend to drink when we eat Dinner, specially at Epcot and Downtown Disney ( Since we're at POFQ we will probably use the boats). We won't be getting Drunk mind you.

Again Thanks for any help or Tips.
Haven't read the posts, but sure they are very mixed.

We use Disney transportation 100% - seldom have issues big enough to bother us no matter where we are going. We like the *freedom* of relaxing and leaving the driving to Disney. No worries, no stress, no schedules for us - we are on vacation, and truly immersed in all things Disney. We actually *enjoy* the transportation as part of the experience.

But, the *bottom* line is what each and everyone *wants* to do. No one can tell another what they feel works best for them. We all have our reasons/opinions why one vs. the other works better for us. That's what matters most - have a great trip.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

This August will be our first trip to the world with a car. In all of my past trips, I've had decent experience with Disney transportation. My plan is to use Disney transportation to go from our resort to each park. The only planned exception to that is for our evening return to HS for F! I figure The busses will be mobbed at that point and we'll have sleepy kids. For travel to other resorts and DTD for four ADRs, I plan on driving. I can't see wasting all of that time to make a transfer.

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
DentalDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

I think the best thing is to have the option to drive if you want to. We prefer to drive over taking the bus ANY DAY. We love monorails and ferries, but forget the bus. The only plus about the buses is that they drop you off close to the park entrance, so no need to take trams.

Driving seems like the quickest way to get to the parks since you don't have to wait for transportation and you don't have to make any other stops. Plus, you can decide to leave something in the car if you wish, or go back to retrieve it from the parks (like jackets or change of clothes.)

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Drive everywhere including the MK. It's not as big a deal getting from the parking lot to the park that everyone makes it out to be. Especially if you plan on getting there early...you will be in a lot that is close enough to walk to the monorail/ferry if you want to. Then, it's a pleasant ferry ride (my preference) away. Driving your car is fun, convenient, pleasant, and much much faster. The only place I might use Disney transportation for you would be to DTD since you can take the boat from your resort which we have done. It's a very nice ride.

Congrats Zombie on your pending nuptials. My DW and I honeymooned there in 1988 and we will be there for our 25th anniversary this coming May. My son just honeymooned there a few months ago.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Being able to get around without driving is one of the main reasons I choose WDW as a destination.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Being able to get around without driving is one of the main reasons I choose WDW as a destination.
It's not *why* we choose WDW, but we definitely enjoy the transportation, and have had no problems with it for many, many years.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

We just got back and this was a huge concern of our if we should take the bus or drive. We drove to DTD and it was a hassle to find a place to park. Took the bus to all the parks, were the for RD, and never had to wait more then 5 minutes for a bus. We stayed at ASMo and only twice we shared a bus w/ the other AS resorts, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: