Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

We use childrens Bonine which I can only find online. You may be pleasently surprised my girls needed meds for the drive down but not on Dream. They didnt even get sick when were out running a bad thunderstorm and lisiting a bit. Very difernet than my experience on older ships 20yrs ago.

tiggspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom

I will be honest, back in high school I took Dramamine & it knocked me out for 6 hours!!!! I have bought non drowsy to try, but haven't yet. As I get older I find I need to take Tylenol pm to sleep, just recently switched to the natural herb to be safer... Not as effective! So even though you take them at night, they don't leave the effects during the day of the drowsiness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

definitely try it before the cruise.

the non-drowsy formulas knock us out.

I tried it on DD many years ago, on our first cruise and she was like a zombie, so i took her off it and it turned out she was fine on that cruise (the water was as smooth as glass that year).

last summer when she and her husband went to alaska, her husband took the non-drowsy bonine the evening before the cruise, but the next day, when they boarded the ship, he felt horrible. totally knocked out like he was drugged.
So he stopped taking it right away...
DD went to the general store on the Radiance of the seas and bought sea bands for herself and 10 minutes after putting them on she felt better (the ship was really rocking and rolling in the pacific)...
but her husband didn't want to spend the $16 on the sea bands.
here they'd spent $6,000 on the cruise, but no, not $16 on the sea bands..
anyway, he suffered for 3 days and then finally, on the 3rd night, when he (and everyone else on the ship) was really really suffering and couldn't leave the room, he let my daughter buy him a pair of sea bands...
and 10 minutes later he was fine...
i'm really sorry they don't work for you, as they saved my life on the ship (and i just used them last week when i had a bad attack of dizziness - instead of taking my medication i figured what they hey, i'll try them out..)

everyone's different.

I hope you can find something that works for you!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually neither are non drowsy just labelled "less drowsy". Technically the drugs can be taken every 6 hrs but usually someone with motion sickness will only take it once maybe twice a day. You really don't have much of a need for it while at port right . But many still get the effects by taking it at night and manage to make it through the day fine. Some people also don't tolerate these meds (in rare occasions it an make people, especially children) hyper vs solemn, and sometimes people don't get drowsy either. It just depends on the person and "practicing" before the trip is really good advice so you can see what to expect if anything.

The only boats I've ever had issues on we're smaller ones. Granted I've only been on one cruise sized vessel but that trip we also passed a hurricane and had a rough night but not too terrible. I did feel it but had no issues like when on sail boats and fishing vessels. So you never know.

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Actually neither are non drowsy just labelled "less drowsy". Technically the drugs can be taken every 6 hrs but usually someone with motion sickness will only take it once maybe twice a day. You really don't have much of a need for it while at port right . But many still get the effects by taking it at night and manage to make it through the day fine. Some people also don't tolerate these meds (in rare occasions it an make people, especially children) hyper vs solemn, and sometimes people don't get drowsy either. It just depends on the person and "practicing" before the trip is really good advice so you can see what to expect if anything.

The only boats I've ever had issues on we're smaller ones. Granted I've only been on one cruise sized vessel but that trip we also passed a hurricane and had a rough night but not too terrible. I did feel it but had no issues like when on sail boats and fishing vessels. So you never know.

i was really shocked at how badly i was affected by the Dream - i had assumed that because it was such a big ship, it would move much less...
yet, the moment i set foot on her - when we were still in port - i was ill...
as were both my mom and sister...

truly, i was shocked that it hit me that way the second i set foot aboard her...

i'm curious to see what will happen when i try the Allure...i've heard it doesn't move at all, but that's what people told me about the Dream, and it didn't matter to that place in my brain that controls that awful feeling!!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
wen-tom
spit spot!

I have always been fine and had 10 nights on the magic and aside from 1 night on the med during the roughest seas that the crew had seen for a while!
Yet when we boarded the dream for 3 nights in September I was fuzzy and dizzy and the feeling did not stop for the whole trip and even at WDW after the cruise I still felt off!

I thought that a bigger ship would have less movement so I didn't worry at all but I will certainly think of taking something with me if I ever sail in the dream (or fantasy) again !

wen-tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #35
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen-tom View Post
I have always been fine and had 10 nights on the magic and aside from 1 night on the med during the roughest seas that the crew had seen for a while!
Yet when we boarded the dream for 3 nights in September I was fuzzy and dizzy and the feeling did not stop for the whole trip and even at WDW after the cruise I still felt off!

I thought that a bigger ship would have less movement so I didn't worry at all but I will certainly think of taking something with me if I ever sail in the dream (or fantasy) again !
For me the more subtle the movement, the more sick I feel. I grew up on small boats and never got seasick. I never get car sick. The moment I step onto a big ship I go downhill fast. Yet when that same ship hits rougher waters I actually feel better. Go figure. Its like as long as the movement is noticeable I am OK.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #36
EricaG
Mouseketeer

For me, sea bands and Bonine just took the edge off, but I still didn't feel great the first couple of nights--had to leave dinner the first night.

Next cruise I got the scopolamine patch from my doctor (no appt needed--just called the nurse and then the doctor called it in for me). Several weeks before our sail date, I put the patch on and left it for a few days to make sure I didn't have a bad reaction. The only side effect I got was some dry mouth.

I put the patch on when we boarded (several hours before sailing) and then changed it three days later, and I felt great all cruise. The first night, I could definitely sense the motion, but it just didn't have any effect--no nausea, and no "woozy-head" like I had experienced before.

Doing it for next cruise and recommended the same process to my mom and sister who are also prone to motion sickness.
Jan. 2000-POR (Ran WDW Marathon!) ; Feb. 2002-Offsite ; Jan. 2004-WL; Dec. 2006-POFQ (Trip with extended family); Mar. 2008-OKW (Just the two of us); Oct. 2008-BWV; Sept. 2009-3nt. cruise on the Wonder and 1 nt. at BLT; Feb. 2011--7nt. Mexican Riviera on the Wonder; Oct. 2011-POP!; May 2012--5 nt. on the Dream and our first stay at Ft. Wilderness in our new (to us) VW Westy ; May 2014--7 nt. Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
EricaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i'm curious to see what will happen when i try the Allure...i've heard it doesn't move at all, but that's what people told me about the Dream, and it didn't matter to that place in my brain that controls that awful feeling!!
From my experience with scuba students on boats, a lot of times if you go in with the attitude that you are going to get sick, you do. That isn't the only factor obviously, but a positive attitude can help (a placebo effect of sorts).

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
disneymagic316
DVC Owner since 2000
BWV VB SSR HHI

I take BONINE. I start taking them 2 days before the cruise. I think they work great. I don't get tired at all.

I tied the wrist bands and they didn't work for me.r
SSR Oct. 17-19 2014,
OKW Oct. 19-23,2014
Last WDW trips:
OKW- March 27-April 2
SSR Oct. 23- 28, 2013 OKW Oct. 28-29,2013
HHI- Oct. 29-Nov. 1, 2013
DCL- '01 Eastern Caribbean, ' 03 Western Caribbean, '05- Mexican Riviera, '07 Mediterranean, '09 Tortola,
2011 Inaugural Alaska Cruise, Aug 5,20102 NYC Canada-New England, Disney Fantasy- July 20-27,2013.

Next DCL- Disney Dream Oct. 2014
disneymagic316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagic316
I take BONINE. I start taking them 2 days before the cruise. I think they work great. I don't get tired at all.

I tied the wrist bands and they didn't work for me.r
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that the wrist bands don't work on...started to think I was really an odd duck! (Well, more odd then I already knew I was) lol
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

My daughter has it pretty bad! Even needs meds for 3d movies and roller coasters. She won't wear anything. Does 24hour less drowsy Dramamine or bromine and does fine!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #41
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

I get horrifically sea sick. Like why-am-I-on-yet-another-cruise sea sick. I tried it all:

Sea bands: cut off the circulation to my hands so bad that they were tingly (stupid fat wrists)

Bonine: Worked great, except I had to take a double does every 8 hours and the eye dilation was scary looking and sucked in the sun.

Dramamine, ginger, etc.: didn't work

We even always pay more to make sure we are in a center of the ship room, mid way up and midway between just to minimize the motion (on RC last October we even got an interior balcony room - basically as close to the middle of the ship as we could possible get.)

The Patch: *cue choirs of angels singing* The patch was magical! It was amazing. Even on the night when we had rough seas I was able to eat dinner and go to a show afterwards rather than lay in bed praying for death.

Hope this help!

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
mydisneyanytime
Earning My Ears

We tried the patch on our first ever cruise. I am NOT a fan of it. I was not motion sick but was cranky, tired, and had issues with my eyes due to the medication. I won't use it again but will instead do what I normally do which is use Bonnine. These symptoms did go away a few hours after I took off the patch.

For many the patch is fine. Just like previous posters I encourage you to try the patch before you use it on board for the first time.
mydisneyanytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #43
gunka
DIS Veteran

Bonine works for me. Heard it makes you drowsy, so I take it before going to bed each night (Including the night before the cruise). No side affects and no funny feelings...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #44
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.
I get EXTREMELY Seasick on fishing boats and some pleasure crafts so I was worried about cruising. We also used Bonine, started taking it the day before our cruise and then 1 a day during the cruise and no one in our party(including me) had a single sickness issue. Zero symptoms!!!!!!!
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

this is such an interesting thread!!!
it's so interesting to me how things affect everyone so differently!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: