Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
DH6230
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltTeddy View Post
DH swears by "Bonine". One pill a day. No side effects.
I agree. My wife has severe motion sickness. It took me 25 years to get her on a cruise. We went last year and she was 100% ok. She took one bonine every day and it worked great! The key was start taking it 2 days before the cruise, take it every day of the cruise and 2 days after. That way it is already in your system when you start your cruise. The best thing is it is available at any drug store and it did not make her tired at all.
DH6230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH6230 View Post
I agree. My wife has severe motion sickness. It took me 25 years to get her on a cruise. We went last year and she was 100% ok. She took one bonine every day and it worked great! The key was start taking it 2 days before the cruise, take it every day of the cruise and 2 days after. That way it is already in your system when you start your cruise. The best thing is it is available at any drug store and it did not make her tired at all.
You'll laugh at this and I'm sure you'll relate.

Our very first cruise, we were literally pulling away from the pier and DH says "OH, I don't think I'm going to like this, I feel sick. The boat is rocking." I said "Oh stop, it is not." He says "It is too. Look at the pool." I looked at the pool and sure enough the water was going back and forth from side to side. I then said "Well, don't look at the pool!" (Mind you, it couldn't have been that the diabetic had one of those sweet sailaway drinks.....)

We then go to the late dinner seating and we sit down (with strangers). He's the friendly, talkative one. We all introduce ourselves. Place our orders and he turns to me and says "I need to go back to the room. I'll see you later." He then leaves me sitting at the table with all strangers. I'm at the opposite end of everyone and the other people for our table never showed up so there I am sitting all by myself.

The next night he was fine, having taken the Bonine when he got up. We get to dinner and the one man says to DH "Hey, I felt the same way. In fact, when we get to St. Maarten, I'm going to kiss the ground." Don't you know it, when we all got off (same excursion), he got down on all fours and kissed the pier. He started taking the Bonine too and was fine the rest of the trip.

You are right. DH starts taking it the day before we go and takes it one day more than the cruise. We've been on a total of 4 cruises after that ill fated one and he can't wait to go on the next.

WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
chudson98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan
We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.
I do the same thing and it works great! I also take it 1-2 days after I get off the ship and it helps getting my "land legs" back. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Comprehensive List - But it's about 10 years old

Motion Sickness - Everything you EVER wanted to Know

This information was posted by Hydster on 9/20/2004. It is the most complete information that I have seen (and I agree with all of it - especially the part about trying the meds out at home BEFORE you leave on your trip)

Note: any references in the following to "me", "my", "mine", "us", "I", "DW, DH, DD, DS" are refering to Hyster and her family not me or my family. -JRA-

Note2: It's been years and years and years and years since I've reposted this on the DIS. It might need to be updated with newer / additional med/remedies. -JRA- (Feb 13, 2013)

Note3: I take a strict regimen of Dramamine EVERY day while visiting Disneyland / World, any other theme park. (I prefer the less drowsy since its once per day, the normal stuff does NOT put me to sleep). I have never had any issue on any of the DCL ships (have now cruised all four of them), and do not take any meds. BUT before going on any snorkeling trips, I fully dose up on the meds (1 the night before and 2 the morning of (yes that's one more in 24 hours than you are supposed to take, but it helps to keep me feeling OK). -JRA- (Feb 13, 2013)

So I revised my motion sickness stuff and added a few tips given from WVMD (it was his idea and a darn good one at that)and so now here is the new REVISED motion sickness information. -Hydster-

Sea Bands and Relief Bands

Sea bands are a terry cloth type band that you wear on your wrist. It has a white knob that if positioned correctly CAN put pressure on the wrist pressure point. Here is a website with a picture of a Sea Band

http://www.etravelergear.com/noqmotdiswri.html

These bands are very cheap but beware that since they rely on hitting a specific spot in your wrist it is possible that they will not work very well. They did not work well on me or my husband as our pressure point is too deep. The spot it is supposed to sit on is called the NeiGuan Pressure Point (P6) if you want to research that pressure point.

The Relief Band is a sort of watch looking contraption that actually shocks your wrist with a shocking impulse that is supposed to help with motion sickness as well. It is quite pricey and in the same sort of category as the Sea Bands where if they work I hear they work great but if they donít work well you hopefully have another method with you. Here is a website with what these are:

http://www.reliefband.com/

We found them at a local store for about 70 dollars but ended up returning them as they didnít work for either of us.

These two options are nice if you donít want to take any medication but please beware that there is a chance that they will not work and make sure you have a backup method.

The Transderm Scop patch is a patch that contains scopolamine and you put it on behind your ear and wear it continually for 3 days at a time. Can have irritating side effects but, most people complain of a dry mouth. Wear the patch for a day or two prior to going on the cruise to see if you can tolerate it. It is a prescription only medication. Drug clears rapidly from the system - hence the need to wear the patch - so side effects should be resolved in 4-6 hours after removing the patch. You MUST be diligent about washing your hands after they come in contact with the patch and if you accidentally touch it and touch your eye(s) they can dilate your pupils and give you symptoms much worse than seasickness alone! These patches work well for some but have a higher rate of allergic reactions than other forms according to my pharmacist (take that for what it's worth). Their website is http://www.transdermscop.com/site2/
I would suggest that you read the side effects in the patient information section. I didnít try this out at home before we left on our first cruise and I ended up in the cabin sick with a nasty headache, upset stomach, dizziness, dilated pupils and miserable. Turns out I am highly allergic to scopolamine and didnít know it! I would suggest if you plan on using this you try it out at home first to make sure that you are not allergic to it. I have also heard that there is a new scopolamine product called Scopace that gives the same benefit as the patch but with fewer side effects. Ask your doctor if you want to go this way if they think it is good for you and your body.

Then there are the over the counter drugs like Dramamine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and the active form of Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy which is Meclizine.

Dramamine is a dimenhydrinate and it has the ability to make you really really sleepy! I'd suggest trying these methods out at home before you go as well to see how they react especially if they make your extremely tired and if you drink how you react with alcohol. Original Dramamine can be used in small children although not under the age of 2 but can make them extremely tired and agitated. Here is their website
http://www.pfizer.com/do/counter/di..._dramamine.html

Dramamine Less Drowsy and Bonine are actually Meclizine. You can generally buy Meclizine over the counter (although some pharmacy's keep it behind the counter) but without a prescription and the Meclizine is generally cheaper. We get 100 Meclizine tablets for 8.00 where we get 12 Bonine for 8.00 so the difference is a big deal to us! Meclizine, Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy are all antihistamines such as Benadryl. We usually start taking this medication 2-3 days before we leave and continue to take 1 pill every morning until we have been home for at least 2 days. Our pediatrician told us we could give a 1/2 of a 12.5 mg pill to our older kids and my dd needed it but my 2 boys did not. They didnít suffer from motion sickness at all but my 9 year old did suffer. I would also suggest trying this out at home before you go as well. Better to lose a weekend than a whole trip! Here is an online pharmacy (prices are outrageous) but it has some good information on Meclizine http://www.online-health-pharmacy.c...y_meclizine.php

Antivert - Prescription version of Meclizine - no difference in strength/ingredients - just price!

Claritin = Loratadine - Not as effective for most people - makes very few people drowsy

Any antihistamine has the potential to help with seasickness. Remember if you are already taking an antihistamine - start at the lower doses of meclizine - as there can be an additive effect

Alcohol can intensify the side effects of all of these medications!

There are also Ginger tablets or candy that you can take with you to help with nausea and generally you can buy them in any health food store. As with the relief bands since they are "natural" and not a drug it would be hard to try them out before you go so make sure you take a backup method as well. Also some people find that mint is helpful as well. I believe these are in the same kind of category where ginger and mint have a calming effect on the stomach. Another short term trick is to eat a green apple. Our servers told us this on one of our cruises and it did help when I was already feeling ill. It kept my stomach somewhat calm UNTIL the meds took effect.

For children, Benedryl is supposed to help them overcome motion sickness

As you can see there are many ways to combat seasickness but you need to make sure that you pick the right one for you!! I honestly canít say this enough but make sure you try whatever medication you can out at home before leaving on your trip so that you can deal with the side effects at home. A trip to the ships' doctor is quite costly and MOST insurance require that you pay for the treatment up front and then submit a claim to get reimbursed. I know my one trip to the ships doctor cost me over 200 dollars because I had to get an anti-nausea shot, diagnosis, more medication and I lost 3 days of my trip! Remember it is a lot easier to prevent sea sickness than it is to cure it.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

What is cola syrup? Do you have a link?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Micheme
DIS Veteran

I have SEVERE motion sickness. Can't sit in the back seat of a car, all rides make me sick (esp soaring), boats are out of the question (i puked off the side of boat in turks). Elevators and escalators are nightmares, since i have vertigo as well.

Now i have been on 3 cruises and this is the only thing that worked for me.

I have the patch AND i take bonine every day. This is the only combo that has worked for me. Tried bonine alone and didn't work.

You have to start the day before the cruise, preferably put the patch on in the morning and take the bonine pill. The first night on the cruise will be the worst for motion sickness and you Do Not want to be puking in the small space of your bathroom, it will make it 10x worse.

The patch can make your mouth dry, but compared to puking i'll just drink more water.

A crazy side effect from the patch is that I have a huge problem judging how much space i take up. It throws off my spatial perception. The last cruise I kept banging into things and had a horrible bruise when I thought the steward coming in when i was dressing. Smashed so hard into the door way of the bathroom my bones were ringing. It has happened on 2 cruises so far. Weird
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom View Post
What does everyone use? Do you use over the counter or prescription from the doctor? What works best?

Never cruised before, but all 3 of us get motion sick/car sick, so preparing for it.
two words for you: sea bands.

for years i thought they were a bunch of bologna - but my last cruise (in hurricane sandy) has turned me into a believer....

i suffer from terrible motion sickness on land, so you can imagine what a rocking and rolling ship can do to me...

but those sea bands totally saved my life...
i felt the ship rocking and rolling, but not even a twinge of motion sickness..
it's a miracle!!!

and DD had the same experience on her alaska cruise in the summer..
10 minutes after she put on the sea bands - poof, her motion sickness disappeared..

i haven't a clue how they work - clearly on some sort of acupressure concept - but they do....
they don't look pretty, and you have to keep them on 24 hours a day (including in the shower and after you get off the ship for a few days), but they work....miracle of miracles!!!

as for all the chemical options - even the nondrowsy formulas put us to sleep....
so we can't use them...
but no matter - we have the miracle of sea bands to keep us cruising along!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

two words for you: sea bands.

for years i thought they were a bunch of bologna - but my last cruise (in hurricane sandy) has turned me into a believer....

i suffer from terrible motion sickness on land, so you can imagine what a rocking and rolling ship can do to me...

but those sea bands totally saved my life...
i felt the ship rocking and rolling, but not even a twinge of motion sickness..
it's a miracle!!!

and DD had the same experience on her alaska cruise in the summer..
10 minutes after she put on the sea bands - poof, her motion sickness disappeared..

i haven't a clue how they work - clearly on some sort of acupressure concept - but they do....
they don't look pretty, and you have to keep them on 24 hours a day (including in the shower and after you get off the ship for a few days), but they work....miracle of miracles!!!

as for all the chemical options - even the nondrowsy formulas put us to sleep....
so we can't use them...
but no matter - we have the miracle of sea bands to keep us cruising along!!!
Unfortunately I have tried them before (in the car) and they don't help me at all! :-(
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have very good luck with Bonine. I take one the night before the cruise and each night during the cruise. Works like a charm.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #25
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Unfortunately I have tried them before (in the car) and they don't help me at all! :-(
that's too bad because we had really bad experiences with non-drowsy bonine and dramamine.

did you use the regular sea bands? - the ones that are elastic with a hard plastic ball that presses into your wrist?

there is only one medicine that is effective against my motion sickness that doesn't make me drowsy, but it's not available in the US.
It's available everywhere else in the world, including Canada, but not the US, so i guess you wouldn't be able to get hold of it.
The chemical name is betahistine dihydrochloride (be sure it's the betahistine dihydrochloride and not the betahistine hydrochloride - the claim by the pharmaceutical company that manufactures the latter is that they're the same, but my experience is that they're not).
It's actually for meniere's (which i have), but it seems to also work on non-meniere's motion sickness as well.
i used it on my first two cruises, but i stopped taking it about a year before my most recent cruise and i didn't want to start taking it again, so when i boarded the Dream and immediately felt ill, i put on the sea bands. And much to my surprise and joy, they worked!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
that's too bad because we had really bad experiences with non-drowsy bonine and dramamine.

did you use the regular sea bands? - the ones that are elastic with a hard plastic ball that presses into your wrist?

there is only one medicine that is effective against my motion sickness that doesn't make me drowsy, but it's not available in the US.
It's available everywhere else in the world, including Canada, but not the US, so i guess you wouldn't be able to get hold of it.
The chemical name is betahistine dihydrochloride (be sure it's the betahistine dihydrochloride and not the betahistine hydrochloride - the claim by the pharmaceutical company that manufactures the latter is that they're the same, but my experience is that they're not).
It's actually for meniere's (which i have), but it seems to also work on non-meniere's motion sickness as well.
i used it on my first two cruises, but i stopped taking it about a year before my most recent cruise and i didn't want to start taking it again, so when i boarded the Dream and immediately felt ill, i put on the sea bands. And much to my surprise and joy, they worked!
Yes, they were gray with a white ball that went on your wrist, the white ball goes on the inside as a pressure point. I just didn't know they were called sea bands.
There are many meds that don't work on me either Like for instance I get migraines & so many swear by imitrex... it does NOTHING for me, not even the shots! I have had 3 shots piggybacked in the ER & no relief! Im just an odd duck I guess! LOL
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

I normally don't get seasick unless the seas are REALLY rough and I'm on a small boat (I am a scuba instructor). When I am taking students out in these situations, I take Dramamine, but these are generally trips of 8 hours or less. We were on the Dream during Hurricane Sandy and my five-year old son was with me. The pharmacist recommended Bonine for him, since most everything says "ask your pediatrician" for children under age 12. I gave him a half a tablet every night (we called them his 'sea leg pills') and he was fine. The are chewable but taste awful so he learned how to swallow them instead. One girl in our group tried the Sea Bands but they made her even more sick than she was with nothing.

Whatever you choose, try it out before you cruise to make sure that it doesn't cause you any adverse side-effects. Medications like that affect people differently and it's best to find out well before you set foot on the boat.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Bonine and Dramamine are the same things depending on which version you get. They are either meclizine or diphenhydramine (diphenhydramine is Benadryl). So if you go this route, read the active ingredient then purchase the cheapest product! Meclizine and diphenhydramine are both 1st generation antihistamines which mean they cause drowsiness an you can best counteract that effect by taking them at night (FYI diphenhydramine is also the sleep agent in Tylenol PM and Advil PM). It helps to read the box as each Bonine and each Dramamine are NOT the same!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele
Bonine and Dramamine are the same things depending on which version you get. They are either meclizine or diphenhydramine (diphenhydramine is Benadryl). So if you go this route, read the active ingredient then purchase the cheapest product! Meclizine and diphenhydramine are both 1st generation antihistamines which mean they cause drowsiness an you can best counteract that effect by taking them at night (FYI diphenhydramine is also the sleep agent in Tylenol PM and Advil PM). It helps to read the box as each Bonine and each Dramamine are NOT the same!
I will be honest, back in high school I took Dramamine & it knocked me out for 6 hours!!!! I have bought non drowsy to try, but haven't yet. As I get older I find I need to take Tylenol pm to sleep, just recently switched to the natural herb to be safer... Not as effective! So even though you take them at night, they don't leave the effects during the day of the drowsiness?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
I will be honest, back in high school I took Dramamine & it knocked me out for 6 hours!!!! I have bought non drowsy to try, but haven't yet. As I get older I find I need to take Tylenol pm to sleep, just recently switched to the natural herb to be safer... Not as effective! So even though you take them at night, they don't leave the effects during the day of the drowsiness?
definitely try it before the cruise.

the non-drowsy formulas knock us out.

I tried it on DD many years ago, on our first cruise and she was like a zombie, so i took her off it and it turned out she was fine on that cruise (the water was as smooth as glass that year).

last summer when she and her husband went to alaska, her husband took the non-drowsy bonine the evening before the cruise, but the next day, when they boarded the ship, he felt horrible. totally knocked out like he was drugged.
So he stopped taking it right away...
DD went to the general store on the Radiance of the seas and bought sea bands for herself and 10 minutes after putting them on she felt better (the ship was really rocking and rolling in the pacific)...
but her husband didn't want to spend the $16 on the sea bands.
here they'd spent $6,000 on the cruise, but no, not $16 on the sea bands..
anyway, he suffered for 3 days and then finally, on the 3rd night, when he (and everyone else on the ship) was really really suffering and couldn't leave the room, he let my daughter buy him a pair of sea bands...
and 10 minutes later he was fine...
i'm really sorry they don't work for you, as they saved my life on the ship (and i just used them last week when i had a bad attack of dizziness - instead of taking my medication i figured what they hey, i'll try them out..)

everyone's different.

I hope you can find something that works for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: