Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
MH1212
Earning My Ears

EPCOT to Port Orleans French Quarter - Walkable??

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was walkable between EPCOT and the Port Orleans French Quarter? You know how much parking lot there is at the gate, so to walk up through that, then out and around is a good 3 miles. But is there something like the International Gateway to the Swan/Dolphin/Beach Club, but on the other side?? Google shows a passable road called Overpass Road, but it looks like it leads through what must be employee parking, meaning, I assume, that we wouldn't be allowed through there. Anyone know?
Thanks!!

--Matt
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

The roadways in between the parks and the resorts are not meant for pedestrians. So to answer your question, no it is not walkable.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

No there is not a gate out of Epcot on that side. Neither are there trails or sidwalks.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Walking along unsidewalked roadways in and around WDW is dangerous. This is how people get injured.
Take the bus between Epcot and POFQ....that's the best way to get to Epcot.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Mike
DIS Veteran

Anything is possible

1983 + 1990 - Offsite; 1991 - Disney Marketplace Villas and The Big Red Boat; 1992 - Offsite; 2000 - POFQ (Considered buying DVC but thought there was no way I would go every year ); 2001 - POR; 2003 - HIFS; 2004 - HIFS and Wilderness Lodge (and finally woke up and bought a OKW resale ); 2005 - OKW and BCV; 2006 - OKW and BCV; 2007 - OKW; 2007 - OKW GV; 2008 - Poly Club Level and OKW; 2009 - OKW; 2010 - Swan, OKW and BLT; 2011- Universal RPH and BLT
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
WildGrits
DIS Veteran

Disney has made the roads so tight that I don't think you could walk them. It pretty much road with shoulders made out of swamp.

I was Boo'ed by Adaygaby
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
MH1212
Earning My Ears

A VERY belated thanks to everyone for helping.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
NE2
Earning My Ears

Yes, it's walkable if you go out the International Gateway. No, it's not a pleasant walk, seeing as there are no sidewalks for most of the way. But Disney has no authority to prohibit walking on Buena Vista/Bonnet Creek, since they are public (RCID) roads and not controlled access.

As for Overpass Road, I think it used to be possible to use Woodpecker Lane from the east side of the parking lot, but recent aerials show that a fence has been installed.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Disneycouple99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE2 View Post
Yes, it's walkable if you go out the International Gateway. No, it's not a pleasant walk, seeing as there are no sidewalks for most of the way. But Disney has no authority to prohibit walking on Buena Vista/Bonnet Creek, since they are public (RCID) roads and not controlled access.

As for Overpass Road, I think it used to be possible to use Woodpecker Lane from the east side of the parking lot, but recent aerials show that a fence has been installed.
But Disney owns/is RCID.

And yes I know this thread is almost 3 years old.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
NE2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneycouple99 View Post
But Disney owns/is RCID.
Yes, but RCID is also a government agency (set up that way for various reasons, including eminent domain to build the Bonnet Creek canal through the land that the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort now sits on). Any RCID roadways are legally public roads, just as if they were maintained by a city. This means, for example, that speed limits are enforceable by normal means; on Disney private roadways you cannot (I believe) get a traffic ticket for speeding, but can be banned from the property.

Look at it this way: the incorporated village of Monowi, Nebraska has only one resident, but she is bound by the same rules as the government of a larger town.

Interestingly, Bonnet Creek Parkway was Disney private property until Golden Joke was created at its north end. Presumably it was easier to transfer the road than to assign an access easement to the residents.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Seriously??? Disney does not want you walking on unlit roadways that have no sidewalks. And neither does RCID!!! Geez.
We're done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: