Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #1231
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
I probably shouldn't have caught up on the the thread this morning while eating breakfast.

Andre - I do have a question about your room maps. On the one for Magnolia Bend (because that's where I'm hoping to stay, I keep looking at it), you show room 8746 as a Standard View, but 8546 which is right below it on the 1st floor, shows Garden View. How is this possible? Thanks again for creating and maintaining that site. It is so great for planning a PO stay.
Kelleigh1, so glad to see that I am not the only person who keeps looking at Andre's maps of POR! Maybe we think that if we keep staring at the room we want, it will be magically granted upon arrival??
My son's are also doing it now.. they look at the big map and mark our route from any of the prefered locations (which we have booked) to the food court, the main pool & the closest bus stops. They still try to pretend that I am the Disney freak in the family, but just ask one of them the fastest route from building 15 to the south depot..
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #1232
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I would be ok without it, but I miss the ceiling fan in the royal rooms.
I would agree with you there. My DW can't sleep with the aircon on as it is too noisy, but the ceiling fan she can live with. Luckily in February it's not exactly hot, but in August I think I'd really miss the fans (they were replaced to make room for the new decorative lights in the Royal Rooms only, all other Port Orleans rooms still have the ceiling fans).

Another minor irritation is the way that the new wooden housings vent the airflow towards the wall/window, and away from the main occupied area of the room.

And while we're at it, I also really miss the dimmer switches for the bed lights, just so they could install those awful nasty CFL bulbs to tick a few environmental boxes. If only they'd waited a few years for LED lighting to become mainstream.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #1233
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post
Kelleigh1, so glad to see that I am not the only person who keeps looking at Andre's maps of POR! Maybe we think that if we keep staring at the room we want, it will be magically granted upon arrival??
My son's are also doing it now.. they look at the big map and mark our route from any of the prefered locations (which we have booked) to the food court, the main pool & the closest bus stops. They still try to pretend that I am the Disney freak in the family, but just ask one of them the fastest route from building 15 to the south depot..
I printed out the one for Magnolia Terrace (in color and black & white) and plan to hang it on my "planning door". We use the closet doors in our bedroom for Disney planning. Right now one us being used for our cruise, so I have a printout of the deck we're on and have highlighted our stateroom. I want to do that with the Magnolia Terrace map but I keep reminding myself that I won't know the room number until we get there. But I can still hang the map.

My husband keeps reminding me that I need to put our dining plan info on the door too.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #1234
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Yes, but we had a king bed, garden view. I just can't believe I don't remember. Wonder if hubby remembers? I'm going to have to go look at my photos.
From my source I can not post a link to:

Quote:
Villa Amenities

In Each Villa

Alarm Clock with mp3 Player
Balcony/Patio
Ceiling Fan
Charcoal Grill
Coffee Maker & Setup
Dining Table & Chairs
DVD Player
Hair Dryer
In-Room Safe
Iron and Ironing Board
Crib: Pack 'N Play
Kitchenette (Studios)
Mini-Refrigerator, Microwave, Sink, Toaster, Wetbar
Kitchen (1-2 Bedrooms)
Full-size Refrigerator, Microwave, Stove, Oven, Toaster, Blender, Dishwasher, Glasses, Flatware, Plates, Cookware, Sink, Tea Kettle
Living Room (1-2 bedroom only)
Telephone*
Television
- ABC, Disney Channel, ESPN & more
Washer/Dryer (1-2 bedroom only)
Whirlpool Tub (1-2 bedroom only)
Vanity Area
Voice Mail
Wireless Internet

Upon Request (subject to availability)

Bed Boards/Rails
Electric Mixer
High Chair
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #1235
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmoments4 View Post
Okay forgive me, but where are these rooms exactly? I was thinking of doing Royal, but wasn't in love with the fact that the "closet" was next to the sink. Are there armoires in all of the mansion rooms, if that is what this is? If its AB, I know it's farther away, but I might just be willing to switch from BC to POR.
These are just regular Mansion rooms, but the AB section has ceiling fans also.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1236
kelleigh1
Disney Baby

Now I'm trying to figure out why I ever felt the need to stay at YC. POR seems to have many of the same amenities....campfire, nightly movies, watercraft rentals, etc. So many great things and for so much less money.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1237
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Another minor irritation is the way that the new wooden housings vent the airflow towards the wall/window, and away from the main occupied area of the room.

And while we're at it, I also really miss the dimmer switches for the bed lights, just so they could install those awful nasty CFL bulbs to tick a few environmental boxes. If only they'd waited a few years for LED lighting to become mainstream.

Andre
Yes, Yes, I didn't like not being able to adjust the direction. I thought at first I could but then the fins would not budge. I also agree those CFL ones on the head board were killer bright so if you wanted yours on to read if someone was sleeping in the other bed it would keep them awake.

Quote:
I printed out the one for Magnolia Terrace (in color and black & white) and plan to hang it on my "planning door". We use the closet doors in our bedroom for Disney planning. Right now one us being used for our cruise, so I have a printout of the deck we're on and have highlighted our stateroom. I want to do that with the Magnolia Terrace map but I keep reminding myself that I won't know the room number until we get there. But I can still hang the map.

My husband keeps reminding me that I need to put our dining plan info on the door too.
Ha I normally would print something out just like that but I have the POR maps in my head committed to memory. So my obsessing was done in my head. Yeah I cant get my fiance on the boats at all. Now especially after the Carnival Deal.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #1238
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Now I'm trying to figure out why I ever felt the need to stay at YC. POR seems to have many of the same amenities....campfire, nightly movies, watercraft rentals, etc. So many great things and for so much less money.
Well some of the higher villas would have a strait shot view of Spaceship Earth, World Showcase, and Illuminations.

Sorry Andre, I know back to POR. But I love to talk about Disney, that is why I am perfect for Disney.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #1239
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley
There are times when people ask me why I keep going back to Walt Disney World every year, even always staying in the same boring old hotel?

Oh I dunno, I guess I must have my reasons...

Andre
Someone on another thread said something along the lines of "For people who have been to resorts before, they don't consider POR to have resort class amenities".

I have to respectfully disagree (no pun intended). I have been to first class resorts and for us we LOVE POR. Could I go to a place with cabana boys and turn down service? Absolutely. But for what we want while on vacation when we look at the entertainment, the grounds, the ease of...everything really; we could not ask for more.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1240
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I also agree those CFL ones on the head board were killer bright so if you wanted yours on to read if someone was sleeping in the other bed it would keep them awake.
Hmm... maybe I should add a low wattage old fashioned light bulb to the packing list!?! I love to read before going to bed but don't want to wake the kids.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1241
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
I also agree those CFL ones on the head board were killer bright so if you wanted yours on to read if someone was sleeping in the other bed it would keep them awake.
In fact the lights above the beds in the Royal Rooms only would probably be dimmable if they'd left suitable switches in - I didn't check, but they looked like either halogen or bright-white LEDs to me.

Quote:
But I love to talk about Disney, that is why I am perfect for Disney.
As Mark Twain says in the American Adventure, "I was born modest, but fortunately it wore off..."

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #1242
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Location, location, location!!! YC is within walking distance to EPCOT and DHS so that is the #1 reason it costs more. (Plus the inside corridors for room access)

YC is now and will always be our fav resort but POR Royal is what I have been referring to as Deluxe Lite since the attention to detail and appointments in those rooms seem fabulous!!!

(That being said, we are still switching to YC for the last 4 nights of our trip once DH arrives because he will NOT give up that EPCOT location)
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1243
kelleigh1
Disney Baby

Quote:
Yeah I cant get my fiance on the boats at all. Now especially after the Carnival Deal.
When I told my parents that we booked the cruise, it was right after the Carnival problem and my mother freaked out with "why would you want to go on a cruise." I pointed out that I'm not going to stop living and doing things because of one incident.

Quote:
Well some of the higher villas would have a strait shot view of Spaceship Earth, World Showcase, and Illuminations.
We saw nothing from our room so that did nothing for us. And we've found that we have always enjoyed being away from the parks when we go back to our room. I think it was much more relaxing to feel like we were far away from the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Location, location, location!!! YC is within walking distance to EPCOT and DHS so that is the #1 reason it costs more. (Plus the inside corridors for room access)

YC is now and will always be our fav resort but POR Royal is what I have been referring to as Deluxe Lite since the attention to detail and appointments in those rooms seem fabulous!!!

(That being said, we are still switching to YC for the last 4 nights of our trip once DH arrives because he will NOT give up that EPCOT location)
After staying at YC, which was our first time at a Deluxe, we found that it just wasn't our thing. We liked being able to walk to Epcot, but not enough to fall in love with the place. I think that at some point we'll try one of the Monorail resorts since hubby really wants to do that, but I really think the Mods are our thing. We absolutely loved POFQ and I have a feeling that we're going to love POR too. I just keep watching videos and checking out Andre's site and I think I'm seriously in love with the place. I suspect that Port Orleans is going to be our HOME.

That being said, I am so glad that Disney has all these different resorts. There is something for everyone.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1244
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
In fact the lights above the beds in the Royal Rooms only would probably be dimmable if they'd left suitable switches in - I didn't check, but they looked like either halogen or bright-white LEDs to me.

Andre
They were super-bright LED I looked. Not a traditional socket either, maybe like the ones with two poles and you push them in and twist about a quarter of turn and they are locked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
...POR Royal is what I have been referring to as Deluxe Lite since the attention to detail and appointments in those rooms seem fabulous!!!

I love the Deluxe Lite!!! That is a nice touch!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #1245
ang
"My life, my love, my children"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
If you scroll halfway down the page here http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php you can click on each individual building. Once you click it will pull up the building layout and rooms will be color coded based on room type. That might give you a better idea of where the river view rooms are located.
Thanks so much for the info!!
off site 1994 Port Orleans Resort 1995Caribbean Resort 1996 All Start Movie Resort 1999: All Star Movies Resort 2000 All Star Music Resort 2003 Pop Century 2004 Pop Century aug/2007 Pop Century June/2009 Royal Pacific Hotel 2011/Pop Century 2014

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: