Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #1141
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Doing a little sig maintenance. Does it look cleaner? PM me with your thoughts.
You are going to be staying next at the Poly..I have always wanted to stay there. I am perfectly happy to be booked into POR as I loved FQ years ago and think it is a good fit for my group. Great grounds and the boat to DD is perfect for teens. But, one day, some day, Poly here I come.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #1142
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSD
We are staying at POR from May 12th - 19th for our first family trip to DW. We are taking my 8 year old daughter out of her last week of school thinking crowds would be lower since school is still in session around the country. Touringplans.com is projecting lower attendance levels during our stay (mainly a 3 or 4 out of 10).

I was just curious if people have visited this time of the year and what their experience was with crowds? Also hoping for low humidity during our stay!
Yes! I love to visit during that time of the year. We only experienced larger crowds one year when Spring break was during the same time. Normally, though the crowds are pretty manageable.

About the weather the days can get really warm, but mornings and late evenings can be a bit cooler. Just bring a light jacket or sweater.
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #1143
luckypup
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSD
We are staying at POR from May 12th - 19th for our first family trip to DW. We are taking my 8 year old daughter out of her last week of school thinking crowds would be lower since school is still in session around the country. Touringplans.com is projecting lower attendance levels during our stay (mainly a 3 or 4 out of 10).

I was just curious if people have visited this time of the year and what their experience was with crowds? Also hoping for low humidity during our stay!
We will be at POR at the same time! We have gone that week in 2009 & 2011 and were VERY happy with the low crowd levels. But get done any high crowd attractions early in the week, it will be MUCH more crowded at the end of your stay. Last time we skipped the parks on our last two days because we prefer them empty like they were at the beginning if the week. Weather has been summer like for us both times. (2009 was our first trip with DD who was 9 at the time. )
BWI 5/11
POR 5/13

Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #1144
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

OK....so call me a traitor: my family will not be staying at POR this year. I have a friend that was able to get me in a 1 br villa at OKW for the same price I was paying at POR. I know free dining *might* be offered during our stay, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd rather take the space, appliances and tranquility over free dining any day. We're not big eaters and this will give us more of an opportunity to sample the goods at the Food & Wine Festival.

I've met some really great people on here and will check in occassionally. Venom and Andre, you guys rock!!!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #1145
mcever4
DIS Veteran

Driving...Getting luggage to room?

This will be the first time we have driven and not flown to WDW. It has always been so easy to have ME take care of our bags and have it taken to our room. Since we will be driving, will we have to lug all of our luggage to our room or will there be bell hops to do it? With POR being a moderate and not deluxe, I have a feeling I will have to do it. That is fine, I was just curious what a big pain (and lots of walking from parking lot to room) it was going to be.

Thanks for any help!

Robin

Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #1146
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSD View Post
Venomhatch,

I hope your household is feeling better!

I was reviewing your trip report and noticed that you had the Fantasmic! package at Mama Melrose's. I have and ADR for the same package at Melrose's as well, and I have a few questions:

1. Did you purchase the dining plan? If so, did the dining plan cover the Fantasmic! dinner package? When I look at my reservations on DW's website, it states that my dining plan doesn't cover this meal.

2. How was the food there? What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Yes you should be able to use dining plan on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
OK....so call me a traitor: my family will not be staying at POR this year. I have a friend that was able to get me in a 1 br villa at OKW for the same price I was paying at POR. I know free dining *might* be offered during our stay, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd rather take the space, appliances and tranquility over free dining any day. We're not big eaters and this will give us more of an opportunity to sample the goods at the Food & Wine Festival.

I've met some really great people on here and will check in occassionally. Venom and Andre, you guys rock!!!
We have tossed the OKW around also. We also like the space and SSR gave us a kitchen which we liked very much, along with our own laundry services right there in the room.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #1147
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcever4 View Post
Since we will be driving, will we have to lug all of our luggage to our room or will there be bell hops to do it?
It's up to you, you can do it yourself if you want to, or use Bell Services.

Just drop your bags at Bell Services by the main entrance when you arrive (they will give you a numbered tag) and then park in the 30-minute check-in bays. Get yourself checked in and then head to your room, and once there call Bell Services to have your bags brought up to you (you must be present in the room for them to deliver). Simple as that.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #1148
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

We just booked POR for the first week of June! This will be our second stay there. We stayed there last year during Spring break. This trip we decided to do 5 nights at POR and the last 2 at the Poly! I can't wait!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1149
BrentSD
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Yes, you can use the DP for the Fantasmic Package. The thing that's nice about it is you get an appetizer with the Fantasmic Package, so it's a pretty good deal for 1 TS credit.

We really enjoyed MM. I hadn't read great reviews, but we really enjoyed it. The flatbreads were great (especially the one with the carmelized onions on it!). Can't remember what everyone else ate, but there were no complaints. Our waiter and the service was excellent as well.
Perfect...Thanks for the information!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1150
BrentSD
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
Yes! I love to visit during that time of the year. We only experienced larger crowds one year when Spring break was during the same time. Normally, though the crowds are pretty manageable.

About the weather the days can get really warm, but mornings and late evenings can be a bit cooler. Just bring a light jacket or sweater.
Thanks for the crowd info. We live in the northern plains, so I think we will be used to the cooler evenings given how cold it is here now!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #1151
BrentSD
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypup View Post
We will be at POR at the same time! We have gone that week in 2009 & 2011 and were VERY happy with the low crowd levels. But get done any high crowd attractions early in the week, it will be MUCH more crowded at the end of your stay. Last time we skipped the parks on our last two days because we prefer them empty like they were at the beginning if the week. Weather has been summer like for us both times. (2009 was our first trip with DD who was 9 at the time. )
We are planning on going to MK Wed - Fri while spending time at the other parks Sun - Tues. Saturday is up in the air...we may relax and spend it at the resort or visit a theme park for only a partial day since we have to get up early on Sunday and fly home.

Bad idea to wait on MK until the latter part of the week?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #1152
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

There are times when people ask me why I keep going back to Walt Disney World every year, even always staying in the same boring old hotel?

Oh I dunno, I guess I must have my reasons...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 03-12-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #1153
nonstopdisneymom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley
There are times when people ask me why I keep going back to Walt Disney World every year, even always staying in the same boring old hotel?

Oh I dunno, I guess I must have my reasons...

Andre
So pretty I would love to have a picnic there today!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1154
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Beautiful Picture Andre!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #1155
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThopeful35
Beautiful Picture Andre!
I agree! Gorgeous!