Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1096
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzieheartscindy View Post
And it was very unseasonably cold from what I understand. But I won't take that chance again!
February is always a crap shoot weather-wise. We go around Presidents day week.

Our last POR stay in 2009 it was warm all week.

In 2010 our CSR stay it was in the 60's during the day and 40's at night, and only reached the 70's our last couple of days. (We're Mainers and still went in the pool all week)!

Our last visit CSR/Swan in 2011 it was 80 degrees every day!

This year we're going April 15-22 and expect nice and warm!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1097
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I had assumed I just had to fax in my request but now I keep reading about room requests on the original reservation... anyone know how I would go about adding this from the UK without having to call up an international number?

Also, I am not sure exactly what I want to request...
The official process for making any room requests at Disney is to have them added to your original reservation by the booking agents. The agents can apparently add as much free-form text as you want, and this will be visible to the resort room assignment team - however sometimes it's a bit of a battle to make sure they've entered exactly what you ask them to!

For many resorts, that's pretty much the end of the story, and later faxed requests are often ignored unless they are for specific medical issues, etc. However the room assignment team at Port Orleans are extremely helpful and they do go out of their way to try to help - and they DO read faxed requests and will try to match them if they can. It's still not guaranteed of course, but a lot of people have reported good success using this method.

And as far as calling from the UK, just use a pre-dialler such as www.telediscount.co.uk. All you need to do is first dial their prefix number (0844 861 8686) and then the American number you wish to call (which would be 001 407 WDISNEY for the WDW Reservations Center). That call will cost just one penny per minute from a standard BT landline, and there's nothing to set up, you just call it. If you booked via a UK travel agent it might be easier to speak to them first though, as you'll need your Disney reservation reference number (usually as 12-digit number).

Now as to what you actually want to request... well it seems to me that the only things you're sure about are that you want an upper floor room, not too far from the main area but with a pleasant view... so why not request just that, and leave the rest to chance so you'll have a nice surprise when you get there? As long as you don't end up with too much of a walk the whole resort is really nice, so maybe don't over-think it?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #1098
Wismgari
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The official process for making any room requests at Disney is to have them added to your original reservation by the booking agents. The agents can apparently add as much free-form text as you want, and this will be visible to the resort room assignment team - however sometimes it's a bit of a battle to make sure they've entered exactly what you ask them to!

For many resorts, that's pretty much the end of the story, and later faxed requests are often ignored unless they are for specific medical issues, etc. However the room assignment team at Port Orleans are extremely helpful and they do go out of their way to try to help - and they DO read faxed requests and will try to match them if they can. It's still not guaranteed of course, but a lot of people have reported good success using this method.

And as far as calling from the UK, just use a pre-dialler such as www.telediscount.co.uk. All you need to do is first dial their prefix number (0844 861 8686) and then the American number you wish to call (which would be 001 407 WDISNEY for the WDW Reservations Center). That call will cost just one penny per minute from a standard BT landline, and there's nothing to set up, you just call it. If you booked via a UK travel agent it might be easier to speak to them first though, as you'll need your Disney reservation reference number (usually as 12-digit number).

Now as to what you actually want to request... well it seems to me that the only things you're sure about are that you want an upper floor room, not too far from the main area but with a pleasant view... so why not request just that, and leave the rest to chance so you'll have a nice surprise when you get there? As long as you don't end up with too much of a walk the whole resort is really nice, so maybe don't over-think it?

Andre
Andre, thank you so much! I have never heard of that international phone service before - that is great! And yes you are right, I will just say top floor, close to the main building with a pretty view... I am sure I will be happy wherever I end up - I will FINALLY be at Disneyworld afterall! Thanks again
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #1099
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
I am sure I will be happy wherever I end up - I will FINALLY be at Disneyworld afterall! Thanks again
You're welcome. And then for your next trip, you'll be all clued up as to which area you think you'd prefer next time. (And yes, you will be going back... )

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #1100
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

Andre
I have stayed at a value my three previous trips and always had requests given to the agent over the phone. I have never had any request granted. I had to change my room all three times. Not sure if it's different for Mod's and yes I did add a few request over the phone for my May trip, but with my past experience, I will be sending a fax in to make sure.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14/ CI Dec 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #1101
msdaisy
Mouseketeer

When I made my reservation for June for two royal rooms I requested building 90, 1st floor, connecting rooms. Should I call back and request closest to lobby as well or just wait and fax request? We are garden view so I thought about asking for 9068 & 9067 or 9066 & 9065. Those rooms look pretty close. Or I guess I could ask for north building on building 95???

2006 Offsite, 2009 Yacht Club, 2010 Offsite, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Old Key West, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2013 First Trip to Disneyland! Embassy Suites North
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #1102
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdaisy
When I made my reservation for June for two royal rooms I requested building 90, 1st floor, connecting rooms. Should I call back and request closest to lobby as well or just wait and fax request? We are garden view so I thought about asking for 9068 & 9067 or 9066 & 9065. Those rooms look pretty close. Or I guess I could ask for north building on building 95???
I would not suggest requesting specific room numbers. I think you have a better chance of getting what you want if you request to be near certain amenities, etc. (or ground floor vs. upper floor, specific building, etc. would be fine IMO)
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #1103
magicalmoments4
Mouseketeer

Hey Andre!! I used a snip it of what you said about the main benefit to online check in on the BC resort thread because I wanted to see what others thoughts were if they have done online or physical check-in. Hope you don't mind. You got me to rethinking online check-in, as I was anti before but now with the allure of having our names on the Magic bands and picking colors well, that seems nicer than the generic gray!! Thanks so much for your insight as always

Beach Club: December 2007, December 2010
POR: December 2013
Yacht Club: September 2014
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #1104
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
It is my first ever visit to any Disney park so I am just trying to make it as perfect as possible! Does anyone have any suggestions?
This may sound like a smart-*** remark and I don't mean it to be that way, but my suggestion is 'don't seek perfection.' Which is not the same as 'expect problems.'

Just know that sometimes things may happen and don't sweat it. Disney will work hard to fix things that aren't right, if you don't go psycho when something isn't happening when/how you want it. (I'm not saying you will go psycho, it's just that I have seen it happen and it's not pretty or helpful.)

As someone who has over-planned, under-planned, and not planned at all, over-planning is the quickest way to ruin a vacation. Plan to have fun. Plan to be excited and wow-ed. Just plan to be flexible if the need arises.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #1105
magicalmoments4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers

This may sound like a smart-*** remark and I don't mean it to be that way, but my suggestion is 'don't seek perfection.' Which is not the same as 'expect problems.'

Just know that sometimes things may happen and don't sweat it. Disney will work hard to fix things that aren't right, if you don't go psycho when something isn't happening when/how you want it. (I'm not saying you will go psycho, it's just that I have seen it happen and it's not pretty or helpful.)

As someone who has over-planned, under-planned, and not planned at all, over-planning is the quickest way to ruin a vacation. Plan to have fun. Plan to be excited and wow-ed. Just plan to be flexible if the need arises.

Nope, that isn't smart*** at all, I think it is spot on!!! Exactly what I would have said had I known how to word it perfectly I'm a perfectionist and I would want it to be as perfect as possible too, but yep, you need to keep it in perspective!!!

Beach Club: December 2007, December 2010
POR: December 2013
Yacht Club: September 2014
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #1106
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
... if you don't go psycho when something isn't happening when/how you want it.
Do you know my father?

Seriously, that is exactly how he is. If it's not his way, he flips out. Thankfully, he's never been to Disney and has no interest in going. And even more thankful that I didn't turn out like him.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #1107
Wismgari
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post

Haha, don't worry I know what you mean I know everything won't be perfect and if I don't get exactly what I want I won't be upset as I know I will have an amazing time! But I figured I should try and request something that at least is quite broad and hopefully not too hard to get - so hopefully if I get top floor, not miles away from the main building and something with a pretty view (which with a garden view at POR is pretty much guaranteed anyway!) I will be a happy girl!

I am planning my trip, but I don't think I am overplanning and my bf has been before so I am going to let him lead me round the parks due to my non-existent sense of direction - I a just making the accommodation and dining as good as I can for my first trip
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #1108
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Doing a little sig maintenance. Does it look cleaner? PM me with your thoughts.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #1109
nonstopdisneymom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch
Lol wish I could see peoples signatures but I only access the dis through my mobile app.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #1110
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
It looks awesome!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: