Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #736
SomePixiedust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
There are several types of boats; they are based on 30 minute or 45 minute rental time. The prices and types are listed on the first page of the thread or on Andre's website - portorleans.org - under recreation.

They are first-come, first-serve. Often, it is good to do it when most people are in the parks in the afternoon.
Thank you
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #737
cartoon lover
Earning My Ears

Going to WDW for the first time in April. I was wondering if anyone knew how well the bus system is and about how long it will take to go to the different parks (Magic, animal kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood) from POR
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #738
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi from canada View Post
If you are looking for a room nearest to the bridge leading to the main building, this is what you should request. It is the closest room to the bridge. Closer even then Oak manor.
Agreed. I keep trying to tell people that although Oak Manor is generally a better option if you want to state a specific building, the northern wing of Parterre actually has the very closest rooms. So it's often better to request the feature you want ("close to main building") rather than specifying a building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
We booked a king room- I can now request preferred and have a decent shot, right? I know there are king beds in the preferred buildings, just don't remember if those are booked as preferred with king requests, or booked as king with preferred requests...thanks!
Yes, "King Bed" trumps all other categories. There are King Bed rooms in the preferred buildings, and there are king beds in rooms with river views too. All of those fall under the King Bed booking category (see the floorplan maps I created).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
Just wondering if people still decorate their windows in their resort rooms?

And what about Lime Green Mickey Heads?? I don't hear much talk of these either.
You can if you want to, people tend to do so quite a bit around holiday times. I don't think you can get the LGMHs any more, they stopped giving them out at the store which did them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon lover View Post
Going to WDW for the first time in April. I was wondering if anyone knew how well the bus system is and about how long it will take to go to the different parks (Magic, animal kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood) from POR
See that piece of string... it's about that long. The actual driving time is quite short (Epcot is less than 10 mins, then Studios and MK at 10-15, and finally AK at 15-20 plus a possible Blzzard Beach stop). However you need to factor in all the variables, such as whether you just miss one bus, have to wait 20 mins for another, then one goes past full, there is a wheelchair load/unload, and/or if you go around the circuit of all the other stops at the resort before getting to your destination (which can add 8-10 mins).

For the record, I've never had any major problems in many years of visiting POR, but other people have reported long waits on occasions. I guess I do tend to avoid peak travelling times though.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 03-05-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #739
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon lover View Post
In general, we have always enjoyed using the WDW bus system. The below is from the 1st post of this thread.

Epcot is the closest resort (usually less than 10 minutes from leaving the resort), then Studios, Magic Kingdom and finally Animal Kingdom (sharing its service with Blizzard Beach) which can take up to 20-25 minutes.

If you’re travelling to Downtown Disney, a much more relaxing and romantic option is the 20-minute free water taxi service which runs along the Sassagoula River every 10-20 minutes from 10am to 11pm. Outside of these hours you’ll need to take the bus to get to or from Downtown Disney, and during the day that bus also serves Typhoon Lagoon.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #740
alhurricane
DisDads #733

One thing I noticed when watching a few Youtube videos of the Royal Rooms is that appears one of the queen beds is up very close to the wall. Is there any room for an average sized person to get out of bed on that side? Any pictures floating around of how much space there is? Just curious.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #741
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhurricane View Post
One thing I noticed when watching a few Youtube videos of the Royal Rooms is that appears one of the queen beds is up very close to the wall. Is there any room for an average sized person to get out of bed on that side? Any pictures floating around of how much space there is? Just curious.
There are pictures on the first page of this site, as well as Andre's site, portorleans.org.

In addition, he has a panoramic view as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #742
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Average sized? Hmmmm I dont know what is averaged is anymore. But Id say a gentleman with a waist of 32-40 could think it to be a little tight but manageable. It is perhaps a 1 3/4ft area, kinda narrow I know.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #743
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
One thing I noticed when watching a few Youtube videos of the Royal Rooms is that appears one of the queen beds is up very close to the wall. Is there any room for an average sized person to get out of bed on that side?
Well I managed fine, it's the same gap as all the other room types (except for King rooms). You can fit a reasonable sized suitcase between the bed and the wall if that helps (which makes a nice bedside table to put your phone on).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #744
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Well I managed fine, it's the same gap as all the other room types (except for King rooms). You can fit a reasonable sized suitcase between the bed and the wall if that helps (which makes a nice bedside table to put your phone on).

Andre
That is what we do when I have more than just myself staying in the room. We place all the suitcases along that wall and you just get out from the side with the nightstand.

Actually works quite nicely, since I usually get a bed to myself.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #745
alhurricane
DisDads #733

Quote:

Andre
Thanks Andre,

It was tough to tell from the pictures. These are the little things that go through my mind at the end of my overnight shift while thinking about our trip.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #746
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539
We are planning on staying at POR (2 rooms) end of May and I was wondering if when you check in you can put gift cards on the accounts so you have "credit" on the account for room charging. I don't want to have to carry around gift cards every where we go and I didn't want to have a "bill" at the end of the stay. Also, if we can put the giftcards for "credit", what happens if you have money left over, do they just refund it back to you in cash or have to put it back on the gift card.

Thanks!
I wonder this as well, anybody know??
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #747
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:

Andre
Now this might very well be the best tip I have read yet!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #748
kknpj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
Friday is the day to book our July trip! And I still can't decide!!!!
Our party will be: Myself, DD10, DS9, DD7 and my Best friend from many duty stations ago and her husband, and DD10.

CSR or POR Royal Room? Price is the same.
I was all set to book CSR, but then I heard about the Royal rooms at POR!

My quandary is this: i have been to WDW many times, but this is the first time for my friends and their DD. And i am in charge of all the planning and I want it to be perfect for them!
i thought the Royal rooms have a bit more "Disney" than CSR without being over the top Princess-ey for my DS9 and my friend's husband. (We were originally looking at AoA, but my son saw the Little Mermaid building and that idea got VETOED!)

Is there anything you could say that would sway me either way?
While I am planning my next stay to be at POR, we stayed at CSR in June of 2010. We actually really enjoyed the resort! We had a first floor room facing the quiet pool in Cabanas. The room was beautiful, as were the grounds. We thought the food at Pepper Market was good, and the portions were huge! My daughter and I split many items. We thought the staff was friendly. I would definitely stay there again in the future. We did not use the bus system, as my daughter has special needs and it is easier for us to drive. And I did not even notice if there were any conventions going on during our stay.

We are trying POR in 2014 because we like to try different resorts. Haven't found our favorite - yet. Maybe POR will be it!

Good luck with your decision - what a fun one to have to make!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #749
amybaud
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

Andre
Great idea!! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #750
LikeSeriously
Mouseketeer

Do any of the Royal Guest Rooms have the Murphy Bed? If not, are there any rooms that do have a Murphy Bed that are themed with young children in mind?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: