Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #691
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
And are extras provided in the room or do we have to call for them?
Mousekeeping stops by daily, unless you put out the DND sign. In that case, you can check with a Mousekeeper working in that area for extra supplies.

You can also call by pressing the Mousekeeping button on the phone, if you need additional supplies or items that may not have been restocked that day or if you need extras.

I always need extra pillows!

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #692
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Mousekeeping stops by daily, unless you put out the DND sign. In that case, you can check with a Mousekeeper working in that area for extra supplies.

You can also call by pressing the Mousekeeping button on the phone, if you need additional supplies or items that may not have been restocked that day or if you need extras.

I always need extra pillows!
One thing I noticed since the refurb, the DND signs do no stay on the handles too well with the slightest breeze they come off.

So stick them on there some how with those free Mickey stickers as you check in
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #693
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Looks like things are looking up for the little one. Ready to restart the vacation.

Thank you all showing your support and wishes!
Yay! Glad she is bouncing back quickly. Happy vacationing

Me DH
DD10 DS8
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #694
amybaud
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch
Looks like things are looking up for the little one. Ready to restart the vacation.

Hopefully, today will be much more magical than yesterday was!!

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #695
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Venomhatch, I am so glad she is feeling better today!! We've been at WDW 2 times with stomach illness (airborne in our case, not food poisoning) and its so sad.

Here's hoping the rest of your trip goes smoothly!!

And thanks for the info about Magic Band testing (if anyone has seen me on the Theme Park Board, you know its an obsession of mine )
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #696
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:

So glad to hear she is feeling better. We had multiple illness during our stay with our extended family, and my daughter got strep throat unfortunately. Enjoy the rest of your vacay.

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #697
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

I have been reading these posts for months. We are leaving next MOnday for 5 days in a royal room at POR. We will be celebrating our daughters 5th birthday, our 4th anniversary as a forever family and her first real Disney trip after extensive surgery on her feet. I am not sure what room we are getting but just looking for advice. I am looking at renting a good stroller while there as I know she will get tired from walking. What kinds of things can we do for some down time at POR? Any advice on making the best trip possible? We will be getting there on a Tues morning and will be heading straight to MK after checking in. Sweet girl has experienced a lot in her little but blessed beyond belief. Just trying to created some sweet memories for her!

Read our family's adoption story at www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #698
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok so we are on day two and I got pics and videos of the requested areas only because our little one got food poisoning from "Be Our Guest", the only thing she ate the night before and the Disney referred clinic confirms the Cornish hen was not cooked properly. So today at 3:15 am our little girl started getting sick constantly. Around 4pm she finally was able to eat some grapes and drink some power aide and keep that down. We returned to the room right after where we woke after a nap and she has now been since 12 noon no sick moments just tired. Point being avoid the Cornish hen for now. I had the strip steak and my fiancé had the same and we're fine. I am sorry I have not been on here more today but its been first priority to her and when she was settled down this morning and resting I went out and snapped the photos and vids real quick. PM me if you have more photo requests and ill see what I can do.

Oh also for future guests... If you or someone in your group is not well, they will cancel your dining and tour ressies on that circumstance alone for no charge on the same day. So if your not well they won't force you to keep your same day reservations.
Quote:

Venom, so glad your little one is better. I am so sorry you and she had to experience that, but I'm glad your vacation is getting restarted. Been there and done that with the sickness. 2009 just was not our year....each kid got sick for about a day and a half. Thank goodness my MIL was there and didn't really want to "tour" (she was happy sitting by the pool while the kids rested).

Happy rest of your vacation.

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #699
Roborn
Earning My Ears

Post Trip Impressions of POR 2-14/ 2-20

Thanks to all on this thread for making our trip a wonder one. Andre and Venom, your knowledge and willingness to help so many people is truly appreciated. I just wanted to give my impressions of POR on a pretty busy week crowd wise. You can find my full trip report at this link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3073321

We enjoyed our 6 nights at POR (Feb. 14th-20th) and were quite happy with our room ( AB, Building 17, 2nd floor, Bayou View). Very quiet location and close to laundry, a plus for a longer stay.

The room was comfortable and clean. One thing that had me scratching my head is how quickly the motion activated exhaust fan in the shower/toilet area turned off. I found myself in the shower doing some type of interpretive dance every 15 seconds so the fan would restart and evacuate the room of the steam. This may have just been the room we were in and not a resort wide thing. Anybody else find this?

The grounds themselves were very nice and it was a relaxing and relatively quick walk to the main building and Ole Man Island. I never felt like the resort was packed while walking around though I'm sure it was fully booked.

Food court choices were excellent and plentiful. I enjoyed the open feeling of the dining area and didn't feel at all crowded there even during busy times. I stated this in my full trip report above but I will ask again. Why are food courts not in any of the Deluxe resorts/ DVC's? They offer such a variety of good food that is reasonably priced by Disney standards. We enjoy our table service meals but it was nice to just get a good meal in a fair amount of time without having to book a reservation.

Ole Man Island was quite nice and a favorite of my DD8 (Shocking ,right?) Water taxi to DTD was delightful and a nice break from the other forms of transportation.

Ah, transportation. One of the sticking points to some while staying here. I will preface this by saying that we did have a rental car for our stay so the trips by car to Epcot, DHS and AK were timely and efficient. This is our preferred mode of transport around the World especially during busy times.
We thought we would leave the car keys behind for our 8 am departure to MK on Friday the 15th. Should have kept the keys in my backpack! Lines for the MK bus at the south depot were snaking back through the DHS/ Epcot shelter and towards the main entrance.(At least 100 people) We saw several buses from the other parks come and go and 1 completely full MK bus pull up and go. Even though we were fairly close to the front we thought it might be a few more buses at least before we boarded and decided that a cab to CR was the way to get to MK before opening. Got through the turnstiles just as pre-show was beginning. Didn't affect our day but I'm sure some were not happy.

Overall besides the minor issues listed above the entire stay was a great experience. Being DVC members affords us the opportunity to sample many different options on property but we enjoyed this resort so much we are staying here for 4 nights of a VWL/ POR 8 night stay at the end of August. We thought this would be an awesome way to wind down the vacation and expect to be completely satisfied again.

Thanks for reading

Bob
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #700
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We have a one night garden view room only stay booked for May. We will arrive mid-afternoon by our own car and will be checking out the next day to begin our package stay at the CBR. But, we want to eat in the food court at POR and check out the resort and it's amenities that afternoon and the following day until it's time to check into the CBR.

My 79 year old mother will be with us and, while walking isn't a really big deal for her, I would like to request something a little bit closer to the food court, pool, etc. We live in a log home and the furniture in the Alligator Bayou rooms look very very similar to our son's bedroom furniture so booking preferred is out. The furniture in the other rooms look very very similar to what is in our bedroom.

All things considered, I'm wondering if it would be best for me to change our reservation to a royal room even though our son is 15 and there are no little girls in our party. This way, we'd at least be guaranteed a room in one of the two royal room buildings.

If we don't book the royal room and just keep the garden view we have booked now, do you have any suggestions on a location to request.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #701
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

applying gift cards at check in

We are planning on staying at POR (2 rooms) end of May and I was wondering if when you check in you can put gift cards on the accounts so you have "credit" on the account for room charging. I don't want to have to carry around gift cards every where we go and I didn't want to have a "bill" at the end of the stay. Also, if we can put the giftcards for "credit", what happens if you have money left over, do they just refund it back to you in cash or have to put it back on the gift card.

Thanks!

Also glad to hear Venom, that your young one is feeling better. Being sick at Disney is not fun.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #702
hobbs6799
Earning My Ears

So glad your little one is doing better, Venom. I hope you and your family have a magical vacation. You deserve it, especially after the hard work you put in here st the Dis for us.

Beverly

Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #703
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
All things considered, I'm wondering if it would be best for me to change our reservation to a royal room even though our son is 15 and there are no little girls in our party. This way, we'd at least be guaranteed a room in one of the two royal room buildings.

If we don't book the royal room and just keep the garden view we have booked now, do you have any suggestions on a location to request.
A Royal Room would not really guarantee you a room any closer than your current booking (although Royal Pool View might). To be honest, I'd leave it as it is and put in a request mentioning the medical reasons for wanting a room close to the main building, and add your desire to avoid Alligator Bayou if possible. Perhaps ask for Magnolia Terrace?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #704
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:

YAY!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #705
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
A Royal Room would not really guarantee you a room any closer than your current booking (although Royal Pool View might). To be honest, I'd leave it as it is and put in a request mentioning the medical reasons for wanting a room close to the main building, and add your desire to avoid Alligator Bayou if possible. Perhaps ask for Magnolia Terrace?

Andre
Thanks for the info Andre! I couldn't really tell from the map if the royal rooms were any closer or not. I know that we really don't want an AB room simply because it looks too much like home.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: