Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #391
amybaud
Earning My Ears

I, too, will miss the live feed when it is gone. Too bad disney couldn't install permanent ones. What has shocked me the most is how quiet the resort looks. My first thought was that there must not be many people there, but when I checked a crowd calendar, they are at an 8 or something. This really excites me. AKL was crazy busy all the time. The peacefulness after a day in the parks will be very rewarding and makes me so glad I am staying here.

Now, for my question. In the end, it was cheaper for me to upgrade to a river view room than it was to keep my single night rack rate room prior to my week long package. Haven't researched these rooms because I was expecting to stay in the preferred ones. My question is how far is the farthest river view room from the main building? I believe these would be the rooms in AB 38 and Acadian House. We will not be checking in until around 8pm and know that our room pool will not be as plentiful as those that get to check in earlier.

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #392
G719
Mouseketeer

I was checking out the webcam a couple days ago and I saw someone toss some trash into the bushes. She probably thought nobody was watching her.
LOL
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #393
Smuckles
Suffering from Post-WDW Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I would still send a fax, specify that you made some requests during online check-in and would like to change or add to them.
Yeah, it couldn't hurt. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
This has turned into a general answer, as well as to your specific question...

I had quite a long chat with the room assignment manager yesterday, and had a good discussion about requests. He said that the information you give to the reservations center DOES get through to them, and they run daily reports pulling out keywords from the free-form text field (which apparently can contain as much as you want, so make sure the DRC agent enters exactly what you ask them to). For example they have automated searches which pick up words like "Alligator Bayou", etc.

Online checkin helps too, especially in terms of letting them know arrival times and it speeds up the process at the desk as they have all the necessary info already to hand. About 25% of arriving guests are using this facility at the moment. (The "Corner Room" option is becoming a bit of a headache by the way, as almost everyone is ticking it and they only have so many corner rooms available!).

I did suggest adding AB vs. MB as an online choice, but apparently it's difficult at the moment as the listed options need to be able to apply to all possible rooms, and Preferred Location rooms can't be requested in MB. Hopefully it will come at some point though.

Faxed requests 3-5 days out are still very welcome, but please make sure you address them to the room assignment team generally, rather than to an individual or to the team manager. Otherwise, if that person happens to be off for a few days, or on holiday, the rest of the team may not go through a 'personally' addressed message to their manager. Try to keep to the point rather than giving your whole life story, so the important information stands out. I guess if you find you've written more than a page, you've probably overdone it for a room location request.

Also please keep to the published fax and phone numbers rather than being tempted to try to contact individuals directly; it may work out fine, but Disney have noticed an upsurge in direct communication which they don't really encourage. I think POR is kinda drawing a bit of attention to itself regarding room requests at the moment, and it seems to be showing up on Disney's corporate radar - which may not necessarily be a good thing in terms of their overall desire to offer a consistent guest experience - so it might be best not to rock the boat.

Oh, and yes, the senior folks at POR have worked out that people are using a pre-prepared template and Googled around and tracked down where it comes from.

Andre
Okay, thanks for the explanation. At the end of the day, these requests aren't hugely important to me. It would just be nice to be in AB. In reality, I could receive none of my requests and still be thrilled.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #394
jenn91997
Earning My Ears

I actually sent a fax early this week for a room request. We are arriving on Monday
I was very pleased to get a return email from the room inventory manager informing me that all my requests will be met.

I was surpised to get a response.. but super happy
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #395
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

If we are staying at POR can the kids swim at the feature pool at POFQ or is that a no-no. I know you can't pool hop, but I wasn't sure if that was considered pool hopping since it's sorta the same resort. Thanks for your help!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #396
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybaud
I, too, will miss the live feed when it is gone. Too bad disney couldn't install permanent ones. What has shocked me the most is how quiet the resort looks. My first thought was that there must not be many people there, but when I checked a crowd calendar, they are at an 8 or something. This really excites me. AKL was crazy busy all the time. The peacefulness after a day in the parks will be very rewarding and makes me so glad I am staying here.

Now, for my question. In the end, it was cheaper for me to upgrade to a river view room than it was to keep my single night rack rate room prior to my week long package. Haven't researched these rooms because I was expecting to stay in the preferred ones. My question is how far is the farthest river view room from the main building? I believe these would be the rooms in AB 38 and Acadian House. We will not be checking in until around 8pm and know that our room pool will not be as plentiful as those that get to check in earlier.
Acadian and Magnolia both have river views. I find that they are not that much farther to the main building than the preferred rooms. The big difference is that you have to walk across ol man island. Thats a quick walk. Magnolia is somewhat closer than Acadian.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #397
mum2four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Elf View Post
If we are staying at POR can the kids swim at the feature pool at POFQ or is that a no-no. I know you can't pool hop, but I wasn't sure if that was considered pool hopping since it's sorta the same resort. Thanks for your help!
Yep! POR and POFQ are considered "sister" resorts, so you can swim at both pools.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #398
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
Yep! POR and POFQ are considered "sister" resorts, so you can swim at both pools.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, that will make my kids happy campers!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #399
scrappinggirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybaud View Post

Is the weblink still working now? how do I get a look at it??????

Me DH (Won't fly, not going) Kyle DS (12yrs old)
1989 ~Fort Wilderness
2006 ~ Comptemporary
2008 ~POFQ
2012~Disneyland (only 1 day)
2013 ~POR/Hardrock Universal
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #400
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

I booked POR garden view for July 20th, thru 27th. Our last Disney vacation for a few years, so we're going to make it count. We're flying this time, which I'm really happy about. I am soo over that ten hour drive. Do I need to add Magnolia Bend to my request now? Or wait and just fax it in a few days out? I could live with Alligator bayou....but Magnolia is more my speed.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #401
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

From what I understand, if I booked a Preferred location, that is automatically the AB rooms, correct?
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #402
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom
From what I understand, if I booked a Preferred location, that is automatically the AB rooms, correct?
Yes, correct!!

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #403
mum2four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinggirl View Post
Is the weblink still working now? how do I get a look at it??????
It's on Andre's site, portorleans.org:

http://portorleans.org/video.php

I believe it will only be up until tomorrow, so check it out soon!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #404
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom3 View Post
Yes, correct!!
Great! Thanks!! We are so excited about going back!! We stayed there 21 years ago on our HONEYMOON!! It was only 6 months old! So excited to be sharing the wonderful resort with our kids!!!
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #405
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Hello all! I have been reading the previous thread getting ready for our upcoming trip, and didn't even get a chance to comment on anything before the new thread started. So as I read over the posts here I have to say this thread is incredible! This our first time stay at POR and I normally have tons of questions and concerns and this thread really addresses them all. Those of you who take the time to answer questions and keep this thread updated do a wonderful job! Thank you!!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: