Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #3481
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Well, I got back yesterday from my 7 day trip.

Sadly, I will probably never stay at POR again unless it's a REALLY good deal money wise.

The resort is beautiful, but that's where it stopped for me. I was in preferred building 18, corner room, second floor with a king bed.

The resort is TOO big and too confusing. I booked a moderate because I wanted a hot tub, I got to the hot tub once. Even in a preferred building, the walk was just too far after a full day in the parks.

The room was okay... the bed was a little softer than concrete, the drapes didn't keep the light out well, the shower was extremely weak. A big negative was that the TV was mounted flat against the wall above the murphy bed. The only way I could watch TV was to be lying in the bed. I couldn't sit at the table, work, and watch TV.

The food court was a little better than a value resort and Boatwrights is only open for dinner. I would have had lunch and breakfast there.

However, the worst part had to be the buses. They were truly awful. I had my 45+ minute wait for an AK bus and this was BEFORE the parks opened. I had an hour wait for an EPCOT bus.. which is the closest park.. we watched 6 MK buses go by before an Epcot bus showed up. The 4 separate bus stops make the buses even more intolerable.

I think I'll just stick to values because I can't afford GF or Contemporary. I may try POFQ because the resort is more compact, one bus stop, and beignets are GREAT.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #3482
photos_101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
You cannot pay online with room only, just packages. It sounds like you had a room only, since you tried to pay at online check-in. Payments for packages are due at 45 days before check-in and you can pay anytime you want online.

You leave a credit card at online check-in in order to charge at the resort, not pay off a balance. Online check-in should really be called pre-registration.

Lastly, your requests are supposed to be on your reservation. Online check-in is not meant for making requests.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion.
I did not know this! lol After I read your comment, I went to look up my Ressie and nope, no where to enter pmyt. uggh. And I pay with disney giftcards, so I will have to call in my payments. What a pain!
I guess as long as I get it paid for, it will not matter how I have to enter the pmyt. It is much easier to be able to do it online though.
Thanks for that info!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #3483
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post

Sadly, I will probably never stay at POR again unless it's a REALLY good deal money wise.

The resort is beautiful, but that's where it stopped for me. I was in preferred building 18, corner room, second floor with a king bed.

The resort is TOO big and too confusing. I booked a moderate because I wanted a hot tub, I got to the hot tub once. Even in a preferred building, the walk was just too far after a full day in the parks.

The room was okay... the bed was a little softer than concrete, the drapes didn't keep the light out well, the shower was extremely weak. A big negative was that the TV was mounted flat against the wall above the murphy bed. The only way I could watch TV was to be lying in the bed. I couldn't sit at the table, work, and watch TV.

The food court was a little better than a value resort and Boatwrights is only open for dinner. I would have had lunch and breakfast there.

However, the worst part had to be the buses. They were truly awful. I had my 45+ minute wait for an AK bus and this was BEFORE the parks opened. I had an hour wait for an EPCOT bus.. which is the closest park.. we watched 6 MK buses go by before an Epcot bus showed up. The 4 separate bus stops make the buses even more intolerable.

I think I'll just stick to values because I can't afford GF or Contemporary. I may try POFQ because the resort is more compact, one bus stop, and beignets are GREAT.
So sorry to hear all this

What time of day was the hour long wait for EPCOT? We've been at BWI before and waited that long for a DTD bus in the evening and it was MADDENING! (We watched 4 AK buses come, but that was because it corresponded with that park closing.)
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #3484
brian95
Mouseketeer

with all the horror stories of busses I am thinking of using taxis in the morning for adrs and rd. are there taxis there? do I have to call for one? do the cms call them?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #3485
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian95 View Post
with all the horror stories of busses I am thinking of using taxis in the morning for adrs and rd. are there taxis there? do I have to call for one? do the cms call them?
We used the busses when we were there a couple of weeks ago and never waited more than maybe 15 minutes. We took breaks in the middle of the day so we were on the busses a lot. No problems at all. However, just for the sake of convenience, two time we used cabs to get to another resort. We got a phone number from concierge and called. It was really fast and not too expensive but I wouldn't do it for parks.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #3486
Chuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
So sorry to hear all this

What time of day was the hour long wait for EPCOT? We've been at BWI before and waited that long for a DTD bus in the evening and it was MADDENING! (We watched 4 AK buses come, but that was because it corresponded with that park closing.)

The Epcot Bus was around dinner time. I had two times I was waiting for buses.. either first thing in the morning or around 3-5pm.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #3487
disneyobessed
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if they only have the HA roll in shower rooms for a family of 5 in building 15? That's where we were last month and it was a preferred room facing parking lot.. it was great. Hoping to maybe get the same room..

MeDHDSDS
DD Mia
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #3488
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:

WOW!!! Just goes to show how everyone has different opinions and likes and dislikes and experiences overall. Sorry you didn't love POR. We were also in building 18, top floor, corner room just two weeks ago and we LOVED our location (room 1836)! We have a 7year old and none of us found any of the walks too far at all to get to bus, food court, main pool and we had to deal with rain a lot. The drapes kept out the light great in our room and we found no issues with our room whatsoever. Well...I would agree that the shower is weak but we didn't care. We also thought the beds were super comfy.
We just had one issue with buses and we used them a lot as we came back for a mid-day break and went back out around dinner. We thought the buses were fabulous! So, over the course of a week we rode the buses 24 times(6days am, 6 days lunch time coming back from parks, 6 days afternoon going to parks or DTD and 6 evenings coming home) and again just had ONE Issue......and that was due to them closing the boat service from DTD to POR due to lightening in the area.
Anyway, again sorry to hear you did not have a wonderful experience.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #3489
zabache
DIS Veteran

Hey all
Can I request and early check-in instead of it being at the normal afternoon check-in time? We might be driving down a day the day before our actual check-in date and wanted to know if this could be requested. Also, what about a late check-out?
Thanks
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a Royal Room!Pics of Trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
December 18-23, 2014 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #3490
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Regarding requests

When I went in February, I had my travel agent request a top floor room in either Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. I also did the online check in and I requested top floor and corner room. A few days before my trip, my travel agent faxed the same requests that she initially made with the reservation. When I checked in, I received a 3rd floor (inside) corner room in Magnolia Terrace. I would highly recommend online check in. I didn't feel that my online requests negated the initial requests that were made. Then again, I believe the fax was sent in after I did online check in but I didn't request a corner room with the initial reservation nor with the fax and I received it.

Also, something that everyone should keep in mind when wanting to have no neighbors above you, be sure to request top floor, not 2nd floor particularly if you're in the mansions since there are some rooms in the middle section of the buildings that have 3 floors. Our room was very quiet. The only bad thing about being on the 3rd floor is that there is a bit more walking to get to the front or back of the building but it didn't bother us at all. I much prefer that the room be quiet.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #3491
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
The Epcot Bus was around dinner time. I had two times I was waiting for buses.. either first thing in the morning or around 3-5pm.
Thanks! Again I'm sorry it happened and tarnished your view of the resort. (But I certainly understand why it would.)
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #3492
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post
Hey all
Can I request and early check-in instead of it being at the normal afternoon check-in time? We might be driving down a day the day before our actual check-in date and wanted to know if this could be requested. Also, what about a late check-out?
Thanks
You can check-in as early as 7 am when the computers roll over and get your tickets, etc. Your room may not be ready. You can do online check-in, indicate you will be there early and they will give you the first available room. If you have requests, I would just wait and check-in there.

There is a late check-out, but housekeeping will have to approve it and you won't know until the morning of check-out; there is a fee for doing so and it is done based on availability.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #3493
Towmater Blue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by careheartsdisney
also, something that everyone should keep in mind when wanting to have no neighbors above you, be sure to request top floor, not 2nd floor particularly if you're in the mansions since there are some rooms in the middle section of the buildings that have 3 floors. Our room was very quiet. The only bad thing about being on the 3rd floor is that there is a bit more walking to get to the front or back of the building but it didn't bother us at all. I much prefer that the room be quiet.
ita!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #3494
Chuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
WOW!!! Just goes to show how everyone has different opinions and likes and dislikes and experiences overall. Sorry you didn't love POR. We were also in building 18, top floor, corner room just two weeks ago and we LOVED our location (room 1836)! ... <snip> ...
Anyway, again sorry to hear you did not have a wonderful experience.
I was in 1833.

After all the rave reviews, I was really looking forward to staying at POR. It didn't ruin my vacation, because I wouldn't let it

It's just not for me and that's okay. I tried it, I still had a wonderful vacation, and I look forward to trying someplace new next year
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #3495
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Now you know! next time you can try someplace else Your King room must have been very close to where we were.....I will admit it took a day or two to figure out the fastest way to get places and it seemed like there were a lot of different options of paths to take to get to the same place. By the last day we had it down to the quickest route but the first few days it was the POR maze!

Quote:
I was in 1833.

After all the rave reviews, I was really looking forward to staying at POR. It didn't ruin my vacation, because I wouldn't let it

It's just not for me and that's okay. I tried it, I still had a wonderful vacation, and I look forward to trying someplace new next year
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: