Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #331
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I am just so excited. ONE more sleep and we will be checking in to POR. Tomorrow night

Many thanks to Venom and Andre for their help in this thread. I'll do my best to pop in and say hello and answer any questions if anyone wants me to check something while I am there.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #332
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

Hi guys...just over visiting. We have actually booked for ASMu this year as budget strings were a bit tight. We are normally die hard CBR peeps. WE have now found ourselves a bit better off than we thought and are thinking of upgrading our resort. We have been thinking of POR. We have a 10yr old and 4yr old boys. Do you think they would like this resort? Is it more adult themed or do you think it has plenty for kids? Thanks in advance. oh btw...we would only be booking a standard room, would it be an alligator room or not? Im a bit confused as to what the standard rooms are. I know you pay extra for the firework rooms. thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #333
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktbMouse View Post
Hi guys...just over visiting. We have actually booked for ASMu this year as budget strings were a bit tight. We are normally die hard CBR peeps. WE have now found ourselves a bit better off than we thought and are thinking of upgrading our resort. We have been thinking of POR. We have a 10yr old and 4yr old boys. Do you think they would like this resort? Is it more adult themed or do you think it has plenty for kids? Thanks in advance. oh btw...we would only be booking a standard room, would it be an alligator room or not? Im a bit confused as to what the standard rooms are. I know you pay extra for the firework rooms. thanks.
My 8 year old boy really liked it. He really enjoyed the main pool, especially because there were a ton of kids his age that were willing to play outside of their family group. He liked the look of the place and the playground near the main pool. We had a very short stay so we barely got to experience it, but he's not objecting to the idea of staying there for a longer trip.

Oh and he liked how the pool had both shallow and deeper spots, instead of all being shallow or deeper. I didn't swim all that much so I'm not sure that's not standard for most Disney pools, but that's what he just told me.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #334
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
My 8 year old boy really liked it. He really enjoyed the main pool, especially because there were a ton of kids his age that were willing to play outside of their family group. He liked the look of the place and the playground near the main pool. We had a very short stay so we barely got to experience it, but he's not objecting to the idea of staying there for a longer trip.

Oh and he liked how the pool had both shallow and deeper spots, instead of all being shallow or deeper. I didn't swim all that much so I'm not sure that's not standard for most Disney pools, but that's what he just told me.
I would agree. My son is almost 9. His favorite pools in Disney World are a tie between CSR and POR. He's stayed at The Poly, Boardwalk, all of the values except AoA, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom Lodge and prefers POR and CSR pools by a landslide (or a waterside ..groan).
Oh and the standard rooms dictate your view but not the section of the resort. They generally overlook the parking lots, but can be in The Mansions or Alligator Bayou sections. Both are lovely, just themed differently. As you get close to your trip you could request one side of the resort or the other based on what appeals to you most. Requests aren't guaranteed but they do try

Last edited by pigletto; 02-21-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: edited for weirdest typo ever lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #335
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I am just so excited. ONE more sleep and we will be checking in to POR. Tomorrow night

Many thanks to Venom and Andre for their help in this thread. I'll do my best to pop in and say hello and answer any questions if anyone wants me to check something while I am there.
No problem we do what we can to help make it more magical for everyone.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #336
volunteeralot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznotyzed View Post
Hello and to posting! Your trip sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary! The way time flies it'll be here before you know it!
Congrats on 34 years this year (we're one year behind you and have two daughters who are both engaged).
Thanks! Before I even suggested this trip I wanted to make sure the boys were with their permanent girls since I'm planning a year in advance. Funny, my younger son (almost 24) is the one who is more sure they'll be engaged, the other just says yes, they'll still be together.
I also want to thank everyone for such helpful hints about everything! Especially Andre and Venom!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #337
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

Im just thinking the fishing watering hole looks fun for the boys and the boat to DTD looks fun too, we couldnt afford any ADRs this time but promised them the TREX cafe so it would be wonderful to have thier own personal resort boat to take them there ( would let me and hubby dump the car for the night too and have a little margarita!!) The 10yr old loves to Kayak so that would be perfect for him. I may be wrong but the pool area looks a little quieter than CBR which may be a good thing.CBR was a little too rowdy for my 4 yr old, he was scared to death of the big dunk tank on the pirate ship and wouldnt go anywhere near it. The alligator rooms do look lovely but then the other magnolia rooms do look closer. I guess I really dont mind which ones we get. We will know within the next few days if we can afford to do this ( hopefully we can) dont get me wrong...a value resort is better than no resort but I dooo prefer a mod resort. I take it the food is all the same at the food courts at the mods?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #338
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowewontgo View Post
P.S. if I book garden view, river view, or pool view, what are the chances of me getting into a Mansion room instead of alligator bayou in Mid July? I really dislike the look of alligator bayou.
No particular category gives much of an advantage over any other on that score (other than Preferred meaning AB-only, and Royal meaning mansion-only). Just choose what category you want and put in a request for the location you prefer, and keep your fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
One more question....What do you think about a Royal Room for a honeymoon? Too childish?
I think you'll be fine with a Royal Room, we're in one now and loving it. But do remember that there are no King Bed rooms in the royal section, so you might prefer to go with a regular King Room and ask for a mansion building for a honeymoon.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #339
Megsmachine
I love Minnie!

I have been mulling over the whole request thing. We are booked preferred and as much as I would like Building #14....I am just thrilled that we are going to Disney!

Venom so kindly emailed me the doc for room request. I know it says to give detail. DH and I are going to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and are leaving our 5 boys at home. We haven't been away for more than a night or two by ourselves in well over 10 years! Like I told Venom before you all think we are meanies for leaving the boys home, they are happy for us (they asked that we bring back a present for them of course ) and we are hoping/planning on staying at the campsites at Fort Wilderness early 2014, as a family.

BUT, Venom and Andre, do you think the people/person that gets these requests ever gets annoyed with all of the requests? I mean, usally everyone has a really good reason for going to Disney...

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #340
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Who on this thread would choose a royal guest room river view over the swan and dolphin?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #341
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Who on this thread would choose a royal guest room river view over the swan and dolphin?
I have not stayed at POR yet, but I have stayed at the Dolphin. The Dolphin and Swan, I believe, are not owned/operated by Disney. I can stay at a hotel like that any where else.. I can't stay at a Disney Resort anywhere else.

When I stayed at the Dolphin, it just didn't have the full Disney feel and I want that when I go to Disney.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #342
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Toss up. I far prefer the theme and overall feel of POR, but I would prefer the location of the Swan/Dolphin. When we stayed at Boardwalk we loved being able to walk to two parks.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #343
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Leaving tomorrow morning!! I cant wait!! I feel like I should have come in here and asked this question sooner, haha! I ordered a custom birthday cake from private dining at POR, who says I can pick it up at Riverside mill (They don't do room delivery) I was wondering if anybody has done this and what your experience is?

One more sleep!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #344
kim thompson
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmoments4

Oh my word I have never been on that site, and wow thank you for sharing!! Just came up with a fun way to countdown to Disney
Thank you for this!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #345
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Leaving tomorrow morning!! I cant wait!! I feel like I should have come in here and asked this question sooner, haha! I ordered a custom birthday cake from private dining at POR, who says I can pick it up at Riverside mill (They don't do room delivery) I was wondering if anybody has done this and what your experience is?
Did it a couple of days ago, it worked out very well. We picked up from the bakery counter at the Riverside Mill. We had a 10" vanilla cake with fruit mouse filling and a TinkerBell picture on the top, with flowers. It was very light and tasty, the mouse offset the sweetness of the icing nicely. It was quite big - we still have a few slices left. It was yummy!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: