Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #316
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

POR - requests

We did some pre-planning for our trip (wanting to do the Tower of Terror) and guessed the wrong weekend. Now we have to extend (aww shucks ).

In our original request (8 nights) we asked for Acadian House/North Depot. I have asked our TA to do this for our extension (2 nights) and to ask for the same room (it will be on two different packages).

Just asking if you would still send a fax to the hotel letting them know about the requests i.e. Acadian House/North Depot and same room for both stays. I really don't want to have to repack and shift rooms for the last two nights.

Thanks in advance for your tips/opinions!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #317
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteeralot View Post
I've been following this thread and wanted to introduce myself!
My DH and I will celebrating our 35th anniversary next year (not til Oct), and we're taking our 2 sons, and hopefully by then, fiances to WDW the first week in February 2014.
One of the girls has never been to WDW and the other only once. Can't wait to share in the excitement!!!
Hello and to posting! Your trip sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary! The way time flies it'll be here before you know it!
Congrats on 34 years this year (we're one year behind you and have two daughters who are both engaged).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #318
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
One more question....What do you think about a Royal Room for a honeymoon? Too childish? The reason im considering it is because I really like the location of Oak Manor and Parterre Place. They also seem like they'd have the best views of the river. What do you think? Would you book one of these for an adults only trip?
I don't think it's childish at all! WDW is a place to reconnect with your inner kid, so I think you should do whatever you want

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #319
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
One more question....What do you think about a Royal Room for a honeymoon? Too childish? The reason im considering it is because I really like the location of Oak Manor and Parterre Place. They also seem like they'd have the best views of the river. What do you think? Would you book one of these for an adults only trip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post
I don't think it's childish at all! WDW is a place to reconnect with your inner kid, so I think you should do whatever you want
I agree not too childish. I believe even when adults visit they get a taste of being young again. Its Disney on another note, everything is going to have a feel to it. But if your celebrating something why not at POR in a Princess Royal Room!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #320
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

Quote:
I think a Royal Room would be perfect for starting your "happily ever after"!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #321
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

I'm thirding, or fourthing the Royal Room. We had garden/river view on a corner last time and it was magical. Lots of windows, beautiful views, and the interior was so pretty. I don't think it's too kiddish. It's pretty special and magical.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #322
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowewontgo
P.S. if I book garden view, river view, or pool view, what are the chances of me getting into a Mansion room instead of alligator bayou in Mid July? I really dislike the look of alligator bayou.
If you want to stay in a Mansion fathers that Alligator Bayou, then call up the resort 1-2 weeks in advance of your arrival date and request to stay in a mansion room. They will add this to your reservation, and Disney tries hard to honour everyone's request.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #323
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowewontgo View Post
I'm taking the plunge and booking tonight for July 20th thru 27th. Flying this time, and skipping Universal so maybe we'll have a slightly more relaxing vacation. Also only one ADR. Sci Fi! We did so many ADR's last time that I'm just not interested. Except for maybe Be Our Guest...Has anyone been there yet? We were there in September and it was mainly construction. No new Fantasyland yet.
We rarely make ADRs, too much structure for me! I'm a teacher, and my life is SOOOO structured, so on vacation I like to be able to do what I want, when I want We had BOG reserved for our trip planned for last November, and ended up canceling it ( I know, GASP ) But we realized we really just wanted the atmosphere. Most of the lunch choices were more appealing to us, and it's the same atmosphere, so saving some beaucoup bucks was a no brainer, and we're doing lunch instead!

Quote:
We're 2 adults, and we're staying in a Royal Room in June In fact, we're married without kids, and we go every year and stay at the most fun places, eat the most kid-like food, and have a BLAST!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #324
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I really wish you could get a royal room KING bed. I don't think its too kiddie at all, I think it would actually be pretty romantic. What ruins it for us is that its two beds, and its only my wife and I ....
Old 02-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #325
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I feel ya on the ADRs. Last trip we went ADR Happy and boy did the wallet feel it! This year we took it kinda sparingly only booking the ones we really had to have. Skipping the CP, CRT, and Le Cellier a second time. We had booked that twice last year and decided once this trip was fine. We did make sure to get BOG Dinner in Fantasyland!
Yea, our current trip is RATHER ADR heavy. We have 10 ADRs booked over 12 nights ...

I am thinking about booking another trip in the next year (BB hopefully) and maybe just doing a couple that time.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #326
Jake06
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake06 View Post
Just found this thread and love it! We are a family of 5 staying at POR in a preferred room August 7 -18. We have a special needs child so we are requesting the room get steamed\deep clean. Can any room get the special cleaning or is it limited to certain rooms? TIA
Anyone? TIA
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #327
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake06 View Post
Anyone? TIA
My advise is to PM Venom or Andre from this thread, they probably know better than anyone.

I know Dis, and clearly POR, do their best to accomidate people of all needs.

You could also call the resort directly and ask if thats possible ...

Hoping you can get this addressed !!!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #328
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
Yes, please! I'll be there at the end of April and love to hear how people's stays were and if the did anything fun at the resort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDolacki2003 View Post
I would love to hear about your trip. We are going to POR for the first time in October. We have always stayed at CBR and I am really excited about the change.
OK. A quick note: I'm really really open and honest with reports. I will mention the good and the bad. So just because there's less chipper stuff, it doesn't mean it was a bad stay. I really really liked the place. I'm just also really honest.

We stayed in a Royal room, riverview, for just 2 short nights (one of which was partially over by the time we got there). Got a corner room, which was nice. I mentioned towards the end of the old thread, I think, that I had some problems slipping on that blue "marble" room divider thing between bedroom and vanity, and the lobby concierge knew what I was about to tell him before I finished my sentence. It's a common complaint, apparently. I didn't want anything, nor was I offered anything...I just wanted them to KNOW that it was a problem. I even slipped on it while barefoot, which shows how slippery it is.

DH had injured himself just before the trip (actually a cascade of injuries) and was using a cane, and the walk just to the QS or the pool was horrible for him. He absolutely refuses a scooter, and ended up spending most of our full day there in the room, sleeping and resting. Poor guy. But we did hit the hot tub that evening, for therapeutic purposes of course.

Is the owl near Parterre real, or is it like the crickets at WL? I couldn't tell. When we got in, the Bell guy who drove us to the room (and talked really loud, and I'm really sorry to the people whose rooms we walked by with the rolling cart and chatty Bell guy...then again, we realized we could barely hear ANYTHING outside our room, even with the two sets of windows, it's that well insulated) mentioned that there's an owl there, and a little later when DS and I went in search of bottled water vending machines we actually heard a hooting. Only at Disney do I wonder if something is fake or real!

The whole FEEL of the place is really nice. I loved the look of Parterre, where we were. The Royal room wouldn't be necessary going forward, though. We did it because we had free nights through hotels.com but in the future would likely book a cheaper option. The headboards lighting up was really pretty, but alas the last Disney resort we were in was DLH where you have headboard fireworks AND "a dream is a wish your heart makes" playing, and that sort of ruined the amazingness of the Royal headboard lights for us.

I also have to say...there are princess pictures in the room, and that would be fine, except about half of them have the "new" princess face, which looks awful to me. A nice classic Cinderella (etc) face would have been fine, but the sort of Bratz doll style they have now isn't something nice to look at *to me*. It really brought down the niceness of the room for me. So I really do not need to stay in those rooms.

But I loved the wallpaper border up under the ceiling, especially the one in the vanity. I don't have pictures uploaded yet though. And the bathroom fixtures were quite clever.

And in THAT room at least, the shampoo/conditioner bottles had mickey ear caps on them.

We had two meals there, breakfast and dinner, and found it to be good. I had the omelet in the morning and the pasta in the evening, and really liked the way they did the "create your own" thing.

While at the restaurant we met a really lovely man who did his best to convince DH to get a scooter (DH and the man are both "men of size" BUT their problems are not simply because of that, so they bonded), and we got to watch a "signing of the paperwork" moment for a young woman with her future college paperwork.

When we went to the pool that night, my son had a GREAT time. There were some rowdy teens taking up vast amounts of space in the pool, and playing with a REAL football (hello people, that could hurt someone!) IN the pool, but you could find places where they wouldn't run in to you, and if you were sure to pay attention you might not be smacked in the head with a stray football. But there were also many younger kids, and my son found about 6 of them and they had an AMAZING time. He's rapidly approaching 9, he will join the swim team at the Y soon, so I was fine with him playing with all those kids...it was really nice to not have to be in arm's reach of him and to let him PLAY.

The hot tub is WAY too small, for the number of people wanting to use it. And while we were there, there were two jets that were pretty much shooting up in the air. There was almost always a person or two willing to sit pressed up against the jets to keep the water from getting others, but still, I hope it's been reported (I forgot to) and fixed by now. And they need another hot tub, perhaps the size of the wading pool I first thought/hoped was the hot tub! We met some really nice people there, too. Eventually DH got out to go laze in a hammock, which wasn't THE best idea for someone relying on a cane, but the time he spend actually IN the hammock was time he enjoyed.

After we left, my sheepish son confessed that he had not only brought his wallet to the pool in his shorts, without telling us he was doing that (with about $50 in money he'd saved up through the year), but he had decided to put it on a dry spot at the pool (that sort of island?) then had forgotten it. We rushed back, he asked the kids he had been playing with, and they said they had seen it and gave it to their mom. Went over to the mom (in the hot tub!) and she had it. Honest people!!!!

Now I know you can't guarantee that there will be kind, nice, honest people at any given hotel, but we got the jackpot with the people at POR during our stay, from the nice man on the scooter, to the happy college-bound-girl family, to the family who were happy to hand the wallet back (and happy to not have to take it to the front desk). After the fact I realized I should have had DS offer a reward, but I didn't think about it at the time. If it was one of you, THANK YOU.

After that, I let DS play on the play structure there on the path from the pool, which was a lot of fun for him.

We were leaving on the morning of the 7th for a short Disney cruise, and Bell Services was happy to store a couple of our bags for us for those days. The bag pickup for the cruise itself went well. We were then free to wander and have breakfast. DH had given in and started taking ibuprofen by then, but it was still a slow walk especially with our carryons, then we made our way to the meeting spot for the DCL bus. If only I had realized it's all one big building LOL, instead of taking us allll the way around. Whoops!

I did a bit of shopping (Dh finally convinced me to get the hard-shell Heys rolly carryon, so I needed to do a quick unpack and repack there at the Roost) and then we bid POR adieu!

We *definitely* have to go back for a longer stay. The feel and look of the resort was just so nice. We want to swim in the quiet pool near Parterre. I want to walk around some more (hopefully with a husband who isn't injured) and maybe see Yeehaw Bob (is that right?) and really relax.

So now I have to look at what sort of rooms we want for that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #329
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
My advise is to PM Venom or Andre from this thread, they probably know better than anyone.

I know Dis, and clearly POR, do their best to accomidate people of all needs.

You could also call the resort directly and ask if thats possible ...

Hoping you can get this addressed !!!
Thanks where I do post in here a lot. I do prefer special requests by PM only. Thank you again for suggesting them.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #330
TourPixie
Earning My Ears

22 days till we check into POR for the second time. Last year I booked a last minute trip after a tough year with a child being born with a disability, my husband going through a life threatening surgery and losing his job and then my brother being killed I needed to escape and Disney is where we ran to. It was an amazing trip. My husband decided then that we would be back this year.

I booked this trip much farther in advance and we were going to take my father along so it was originally going to be AoA in a suite for all 6 of us. Unfortunately my transmission went out and so the money for my dads trip was used to fix that problem. I called and changed my res back to POR excited to see their refurbished room and looking forward to the fact that this trip was not an escape but a true vacation.

Sadly that though changed in January when my fathers Cancer returned along with several other health problems all at once. 19 days of January were spent in the hospital mostly in critical care. I also had to undergo a radiation treatment and have to see my Dr. 2 days before I travel hoping and praying that things are going right so that nothing effects my travel.

Well long story short we are so ready to be there. I am looking for any extra special magic I can provide for my family. My 2 year old is still battling her disability so she will need to be in her stroller as much as possible as walking can get very exhausting. We travel with one stroller for her and will be renting a double in the parks for my older children. I have lots of ADR's and have an itenary pretty set but I am just trying to find any extra special magic available. I am hoping for a ground floor room, we are in a garden view but I am hoping to not be too far from the lobby as we often would walk to the front for our snacks and to catch the busses along with simply getting drinks for the evening. Also, on our last visit I was told the pool would be heated and maybe its just me but the pool was freezing. I could not even keep my feet in which was very disappointing for my kids after we walked all the way to the main pool.
Any tips for second time visitors to this beautiful resort? I took some beautiful portraits of my 5 year old there last year and my son loved looking for hidden Mickey's. I am just so excited if you cant tell, I have 10 more outfits to finish sewing for the family and then things like hats and bags if I have time, autograph books are ready and pins will be sorted over the next few days. Any special help would be appreciated
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: