Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #3226
RandomLindsay
Earning My Ears

First Post - First stay at POR for us this fall with free dining. Yay! Had a hard time choosing a resort. We stayed at POFQ last year and loved it. Couldn't decide between trying something new or going back to what we knew. Excited about POR now!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #3227
magicalmoments4
Mouseketeer

Just called my TA today and after much deliberation, I am making the switch to POR for our December stay from BC. Going Royal River View!! I've never been but absolutely love the New Orleans feel and love The Princess and The Frog and I know my DD (7) will love it and well, my DS (11) will have to grin and bear it!! But, he is excited for the pasta bar at Riverside Mill!! Count me in y'all!!

Beach Club: December 2007

Beach Club: December 2010

POR: December 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #3228
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post
Ok, so is it true that if we are staying at a Disney resort the parking is free at the parks?
Yup, one of the perks of staying on-site. You'll get a parking pass to place on your dash, and then at the parking lot payment kiosks they'll just wave you on through.... it's a great feeling!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #3229
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, so is it true that if we are staying at a Disney resort the parking is free at the parks?
This is true.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #3230
CaraMiaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I don't think it's always deliberate - those doors & springs are heavy, and if you just left them shut on their own (or even worse if you let them slam onto that hinged metal locking-plate device) then they tend to shut pretty heavily.

Well there are a few rooms that you can see the water wheel from, but at something of a distance and at a rather oblique angle:

You could always ask though, but don't get your hopes up for a good view of it. There are some rooms in Alligator Bayou wish views from the other side, but again very much sideways on.

Andre
Beautiful picture, thanks! I figured by the map that weren't too many rooms with a view, but I thought I ask anyway. I guess as you said, I'll ask at check in, you never know. I'll probably upgrade my room to a Preferred just in case...that and with 3 kids 7 and under, that will come in handy anyway!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #3231
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

POR Riverfront

We pretty much had this view from Oak Manor Royal Riverfront. It's zoom and we were just a touch more left and square on, but I loved it.

My DD9 was ecstatic with the royal rooms. It's definitely a girl thing. They aren't huge, but they are very pretty! If you go to Youtube there are lots of PortOrleans Royal Riverfront videos. They are dark, but you appreciate that at night time.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #3232
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

Beautiful picture LisaTC!

I'm so excited to be going back and getting to see that beautiful resort again!

71 days!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #3233
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobern View Post
Just faxed my room request in . 4 more days!!!!
Have a safe trip! We will be there the same time. We arrive Monday!
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #3234
Kalea
Mouseketeer

Hi, guys!

So months ago, I'd booked a POR preferred room. I was lucky enough to get a FD PIN yesterday. But when my TA applied the PIN, Disney told him it couldn't be used with the preferred room. The only option I was given is a Royal Room w/ Garden View.

Is that normal? I'm not complaining... exactly. But I was looking forward to the murphy bed in AB. The TA said he was told that the room was still in a 'preferred location,' but I'm not sure what that means?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #3235
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Extra ME tags

Our TA just contacted me and we have officially got our extra set of ME tags, now to do the basic photopass pre purchase tonight and then 16 days and counting to POR Riverside. I am so Happy counting the days down until we arrive in DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just have to pack, send the fax, etc (so much to do, so little time)
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #3236
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post

Have a safe trip! We will be there the same time. We arrive Monday!
Us too! Monday arrival here
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #3237
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalea View Post
So months ago, I'd booked a POR preferred room. I was lucky enough to get a FD PIN yesterday. But when my TA applied the PIN, Disney told him it couldn't be used with the preferred room. The only option I was given is a Royal Room w/ Garden View.

Is that normal? I'm not complaining... exactly. But I was looking forward to the murphy bed in AB. The TA said he was told that the room was still in a 'preferred location,' but I'm not sure what that means?
It's perfectly normal for PINs or other discount offers to only be available for certain room types (generally the ones for which Disney has the most inventory left).

Your TA saying that Royal/Garden View is a 'preferred location' merely means that your TA doesn't know what they are talking about. "Preferred Location" rooms are in Alligator Bayou 14, 15, 18 or 27 only - which are on the opposite side of the resort from the Royal Rooms (see map in first post).

You need to decide whether a convenient location and the murphy bed outweigh whatever PIN discount you might otherwise get for the pricier Royal Room decor, but with a room further away from the main areas.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #3238
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Got in yesterday at about 9 am. My reservation was totally broken. None of my faxed requests were granted. The CM checking me in, made one phone call, and got me one of my requested rooms.

After about 30 minutes, she finally got me my room key card. I went to the gift shop to buy something and my KTTK card was rejected. Back to the front desk. 40 minutes later, my original reservation had to be deleted and a new on entered. The CMs were great.

Well, POR is a beautiful resort and my room is very nice. But it's very confusing, the pathing is horrible and in just two days, I already hate the bus service. This morning, at 6:50 am it took me 45 minutes to get a bus to AK. I made it to my Tusker house ADR with 5 minutes to spare.

I ate lunch in the food court.. Make your own pasta. It was pretty gross. One does not boil Alfredo sauce. I shouldn't have watched her put together my meal. Not that it would have tastes better. The brownie was really good tho.

I'll see how the rest of the trip goes before I give final judgement on POR.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #3239
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Got in yesterday at about 9 am. My reservation was totally broken. None of my faxed requests were granted. The CM checking me in, made one phone call, and got me one of my requested rooms.

After about 30 minutes, she finally got me my room key card. I went to the gift shop to buy something and my KTTK card was rejected. Back to the front desk. 40 minutes later, my original reservation had to be deleted and a new on entered. The CMs were great.

Well, POR is a beautiful resort and my room is very nice. But it's very confusing, the pathing is horrible and in just two days, I already hate the bus service. This morning, at 6:50 am it took me 45 minutes to get a bus to AK. I made it to my Tusker house ADR with 5 minutes to spare.

I ate lunch in the food court.. Make your own pasta. It was pretty gross. One does not boil Alfredo sauce. I shouldn't have watched her put together my meal. Not that it would have tastes better. The brownie was really good tho.

I'll see how the rest of the trip goes before I give final judgement on POR.
Hey Chuckers, this morning was an absolute CRAP show with the busses, I agree. But it was the first bad day, all the rest have been great for us since Sunday.

As for the food, we had the make your own pasta, and it was great. Marinara sauce though. I can understand the alfredo might not have been awesome, especially since the load the pan with a ton of oil first, I wonder if you can ask for it with no oil ?

The pizza is pretty great, the cakes are awesome, we had a salad, also very good.

As for Boatwrights, HUGE disappointment. The Filet Medallions are no longer available, but there is a New York Strip with a pepper corn reduction, it was pretty great. The Jambalaya was TERRIBLE, it tasted like a bowl of peppers, that was the only flavour to it. And I have been dying to eat the crawfish bites for months, SO excited for them, and they were the worst thing I have eaten (well, not eaten) all week. Instead of Crispy, light and firm, they were heavy, very very oily, and rubber-ish in texture. At first I thought I just ate a bad one, tried a couple more and they were all like that.

The Pecan pie though, ... awesome.

Hope your trip is great !!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #3240
Minnie404
Earning My Ears

Quote:

We have also booked a standard RR. I'm glad you liked your location. Can you tell me where you actually were? I've been debating what request I will make once I go in August.

Glad you had a nice trip!
We were in Room 9295 which I think is Oak Manor. Great location-close to the bridge to head over to food court and lobby. Parking is free at the parks if you are staying on site. They give you a permit (piece of paper) and the people at the parks just wave you through. Have fun-we had a great time.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: