Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #2746
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.
 
LovingDisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroof13 View Post
Hi! We are staying at POR from June 16-June 23. On June 20, we are having a resort day and have breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey and a dinner reservation at Ohana. What is the best way to get there?

Thanks!
Hi!
For Chef Mickey's I would take the bus to Magic Kingdom and either walk over to the Contemporary or take the resort monorail. We walked and it was very quick. My kids prefer the monorail even if it takes a little longer, just because they love it.

for Ohana - take the bus to M.K and take the boat or resort monorail to the Poly.
__________________
:Me : DH : DS15:DS7 :
1986- offsite with my high school drill team
1987- offsite with my high school drill team
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
LovingDisny is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #2747
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.
 
LovingDisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post
Ok so here it is: From 8/1-8/8 at POR in the standard RR

ADR's
8/1-check-in
8/2- Tusker House 11:15 am-AK
8/3- Ohana 5:15 pm-resort day pirate cruise DD 8/4- Garden Grill 5:50 pm- Epcot
8/5- Boatwright's 6:40 pm- resort day-DTD
8/6- Mamma Melrose w/Fantasmic 4:30pm- DHS 8/7- BBB/ 3:25 pm- Cinderella's Royal Table
8:15 pm-MK
8/8- checkout

OMG so exciting! I went ahead and said the heck with it and added the RR with dining for our first night. I was trying to save some $ by just getting a standard room but once I did the math I was like forget it just do it. By adding the extra night of dinner I got the ADR for the Royal Table at MK our last night :D Can you tell I'm giddy!! Oh and 100 days to go!!

Looks like you have a great trip planned! And yes, I can tell you are a little giddy.... just a tad...don't worry though, you are not alone!
__________________
:Me : DH : DS15:DS7 :
1986- offsite with my high school drill team
1987- offsite with my high school drill team
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
LovingDisny is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #2748
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking
 
denise5374's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: suburban Phila, PA
Posts: 1,199

How early do you need to arrive to get a seat for the yeehaw Bob show? We will be there in August and are planning on doing this on a Thursday night after dinner at Boatwrights, ADR at 6:15pm.
Thanks
__________________
First trip-1975, Contemporary-1982, off site-1986
Port Orleans-1997, Port Orleans/Wonder-2002, First 7-day cruise-Magic Eastern-8/2004 Saratoga Springs 6/05, CBR-8/07, 8/09, 8/12, 3/13 POR-8/13

denise5374 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #2749
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.
 
LovingDisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 262

Quick story from POR 2010 & a tip for first timers

Ok, I am in full Disney mode today so I thought I would share a little tip regarding POR for any first time visitors.

Our first stay at POR was in 2010. Myself, DH, DS (then 12) & DS (then 4). I of course had our entire stay planned out, reservations made, checked, re-checked, adjusted & completed about 3 to 4 months before departure date. What kind of Diser whould I be if I hadn't, right? Right. so, at the last minute (or in non-diser time, 40 days before departure) my parents, sister & neice decided to join us for a portion of our trip. I was very excited that they were coming, but feeling a little dismayed that I may have to change some of my plans.

So, after many attempts to add our newcomers to some of our ADR's with little success we mananged to make some necessary changes and all was well. The additional family members that joined us think that an 8 to 10 day vacation is crazy. Yes, crazy. They cannot imagine being away from home that long and My Mom only sleeps well in her own bed. I know, I know, I am working on them - but no luck yet. So, they were only staying for 3 days, they rented a car, and were staying off property. That means, no magical express bus with us and meeting up with them later. They really are wonderful people and I love them dearly, but they have a difficult time relaxing and enjoying themselves away from home for more than a few days.

ok, getting to the POR tip soon, I promise. Because of the changes and wanting to spend as much time with our family as possible while they were there, our day 1 plans were modified. I had originally planned for us to swim at the resort & have lunch at the food court until our luggage arrived. Then change clothes and spend a few hours at Downtown disney before heading back to POR for an early night. Our plane left DFW at 6:55 am so we got up at 3:00am. I correctly figured that we would be tired by 6:00 pm or so. Our new plan included meeting the family at MK after we left downtown disney. So, we were a little more rushed than I had originally anticipated. Because we rushed, we did not study our POR map that was given to us. Our room was in Acadian house. Room 8220 to be exact. Wonderfully close to the North Bus Depot, only a 3 min walk tops!

Again, the NORTH Depot. So, we had been up since 3:00am & were so excited to be at Disney World! We had a GREAT, if very busy, first day - but we arrived back at POR at around 11:30 pm, not 6pm----11:30pm. We were TIRED.

4 year old was sacked out in his stroller and then on hubby's shoulder after we boarded our bus. When we rolled back into POR the driver announces that we are pulling up at the WEST depot. I start to feel a little uneasy because I can't remember exactly which depot we left from. DH looks at me, I look at him and we both say "I think this is the one by our room" "yeah, lets get off".................. It is dark, it is our first time at POR, we have a sleeping 4 year old, a stroller, arms full of day 1 shopping bags, a very tired 12 year old and we got off at the wrong darn bus stop. Today, it is really funny. June 4th 2010 11:30 pm - not so funny. We schleped our way through AB for what seemed like 45 min. (probably was not actually that long). As soon as we realized we were a little lost, we put DS4 back in the stroller, so that helped a little, but we wandered for quite a little while until we finally found our room.... ahhhhh 8220 never looked so good.

Moral of this not so short story: Check your map before running off to the parks or DTD and make sure you know which depot is "yours".

Oh and enjoy POR because it is wonderful and fun and I can't wait to get back! 47 more days!!!
__________________
:Me : DH : DS15:DS7 :
1986- offsite with my high school drill team
1987- offsite with my high school drill team
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
LovingDisny is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #2750
WOODY13
Mouseketeer
 
WOODY13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 1600 Seven Seas Dr.(I wish) Geneva,IL.
Posts: 290

Quick question. Do they still have trundle beds in some of the rooms at POR?
WOODY13 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #2751
n3rf
My Ears are growing, can you see them
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post
Ok, I am in full Disney mode today so I thought I would share a little tip regarding POR for any first time visitors.

Our first stay at POR was in 2010. Myself, DH, DS (then 12) & DS (then 4). I of course had our entire stay planned out, reservations made, checked, re-checked, adjusted & completed about 3 to 4 months before departure date. What kind of Diser whould I be if I hadn't, right? Right. so, at the last minute (or in non-diser time, 40 days before departure) my parents, sister & neice decided to join us for a portion of our trip. I was very excited that they were coming, but feeling a little dismayed that I may have to change some of my plans.

So, after many attempts to add our newcomers to some of our ADR's with little success we mananged to make some necessary changes and all was well. The additional family members that joined us think that an 8 to 10 day vacation is crazy. Yes, crazy. They cannot imagine being away from home that long and My Mom only sleeps well in her own bed. I know, I know, I am working on them - but no luck yet. So, they were only staying for 3 days, they rented a car, and were staying off property. That means, no magical express bus with us and meeting up with them later. They really are wonderful people and I love them dearly, but they have a difficult time relaxing and enjoying themselves away from home for more than a few days.

ok, getting to the POR tip soon, I promise. Because of the changes and wanting to spend as much time with our family as possible while they were there, our day 1 plans were modified. I had originally planned for us to swim at the resort & have lunch at the food court until our luggage arrived. Then change clothes and spend a few hours at Downtown disney before heading back to POR for an early night. Our plane left DFW at 6:55 am so we got up at 3:00am. I correctly figured that we would be tired by 6:00 pm or so. Our new plan included meeting the family at MK after we left downtown disney. So, we were a little more rushed than I had originally anticipated. Because we rushed, we did not study our POR map that was given to us. Our room was in Acadian house. Room 8220 to be exact. Wonderfully close to the North Bus Depot, only a 3 min walk tops!

Again, the NORTH Depot. So, we had been up since 3:00am & were so excited to be at Disney World! We had a GREAT, if very busy, first day - but we arrived back at POR at around 11:30 pm, not 6pm----11:30pm. We were TIRED.

4 year old was sacked out in his stroller and then on hubby's shoulder after we boarded our bus. When we rolled back into POR the driver announces that we are pulling up at the WEST depot. I start to feel a little uneasy because I can't remember exactly which depot we left from. DH looks at me, I look at him and we both say "I think this is the one by our room" "yeah, lets get off".................. It is dark, it is our first time at POR, we have a sleeping 4 year old, a stroller, arms full of day 1 shopping bags, a very tired 12 year old and we got off at the wrong darn bus stop. Today, it is really funny. June 4th 2010 11:30 pm - not so funny. We schleped our way through AB for what seemed like 45 min. (probably was not actually that long). As soon as we realized we were a little lost, we put DS4 back in the stroller, so that helped a little, but we wandered for quite a little while until we finally found our room.... ahhhhh 8220 never looked so good.

Moral of this not so short story: Check your map before running off to the parks or DTD and make sure you know which depot is "yours".

Oh and enjoy POR because it is wonderful and fun and I can't wait to get back! 47 more days!!!
Seriously!!

Excellent story and storytelling

will def. keep that in mind for our trip in early August, never been to POR and can't wait to become part of the POR family! thanks for the excellent advise, I will now study the maps more closely.
n3rf is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #2752
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.
 
LovingDisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY13 View Post
Quick question. Do they still have trundle beds in some of the rooms at POR?
They have replaced the trundle beds in AB with murphy beds that pull down from the wall.
__________________
:Me : DH : DS15:DS7 :
1986- offsite with my high school drill team
1987- offsite with my high school drill team
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
LovingDisny is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #2753
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.
 
LovingDisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rf View Post
Seriously!!

Excellent story and storytelling

will def. keep that in mind for our trip in early August, never been to POR and can't wait to become part of the POR family! thanks for the excellent advise, I will now study the maps more closely.
Thank you! Glad I could help and hopefully entertain everyone a little bit!
__________________
:Me : DH : DS15:DS7 :
1986- offsite with my high school drill team
1987- offsite with my high school drill team
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
LovingDisny is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #2754
WOODY13
Mouseketeer
 
WOODY13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 1600 Seven Seas Dr.(I wish) Geneva,IL.
Posts: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post
They have replaced the trundle beds in AB with murphy beds that pull down from the wall.
Thanks for the info. Does that mean you can still sleep 5 in those rooms? Also does anyone have any photos of the rooms with the murphy beds?
WOODY13 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #2755
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(
 
Chuckers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY13 View Post
Thanks for the info. Does that mean you can still sleep 5 in those rooms? Also does anyone have any photos of the rooms with the murphy beds?
go to www.portorleans.org for some great pics
__________________
Chuckers is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #2756
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post
Ok so here it is: From 8/1-8/8 at POR in the standard RR
Maybe even see you there! (30 July-14 Aug)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jroof13 View Post
Hi! We are staying at POR from June 16-June 23. On June 20, we are having a resort day and have breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey and a dinner reservation at Ohana. What is the best way to get there?
For both of them, first get the bus to the MK. Then for the Contemporary just walk over from the bus stop (it's shorter than taking the monorail, unless you've got some time to kill). For the Poly, either take the resort ferry boat if there is already one in or near the dock when you walk past, or otherwise take the Resort Monorail.


Quote:
Originally Posted by denise5374 View Post
How early do you need to arrive to get a seat for the yeehaw Bob show? We will be there in August and are planning on doing this on a Thursday night after dinner at Boatwrights, ADR at 6:15pm.
Sounds fine to me, you'll be finished eating by about 8pm, if not before, which is a great time to cross over to the River Roost lounge (there's even a handy doorway between the two locations).


Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY13 View Post
Quick question. Do they still have trundle beds in some of the rooms at POR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
go to www.portorleans.org for some great pics
Or might I even suggest a quick glance at the FAQ in the first post of this very thread might help too? There is a clue in the subject header after all....

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #2757
Megsmachine
I love Minnie!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 327

We will be there tomorrow!
__________________
DH & Me


Megsmachine is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2758
jaks02
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7

Thank you Pakaramom for the bounce back info! I hope your trip was spectacular!!
jaks02 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #2759
MickeyEars
DIS Veteran
 
MickeyEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Barbourville,KY
Posts: 2,442

Just had to share... We received our Mickey Mail today!!!

I'm sooooo excited!!!

Carla
__________________
MickeyEars is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #2760
WOODY13
Mouseketeer
 
WOODY13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 1600 Seven Seas Dr.(I wish) Geneva,IL.
Posts: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
go to www.portorleans.org for some great pics
Thanks
WOODY13 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: