Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #2671
planplan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles4DW View Post
I've never requested a building before and I know it's not guaranteed. My question is which is the best non-preferred building to request? Last time we were in building 37. It was great but quite a long (but beautiful walk) to the main pool and dining. Also, how long before your trip is the best time to fax your request?
I did exactly what this site said and requested bldg 16.....I paid extra for gardenview and asked for a first floor room.....ended up with 1613 and couldn't be happier. Short walk for the morning coffee and Old man isle. Opening the door to the garden made us feel more part of the resort. The standards are on the outside facing the lots. Well worth the few dollars to upgrade. Have fun!! I sent my fax five days out during the spring break and still got everything we requested.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #2672
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I can completely understand the person who asked this question having concerns. While completely safe and secure, we had a not so fun experience with a connecting room at Pop Century a few years ago. There were a few little kiddos in the room next to us who thought it was FUN and HILARIOUS to open their side of the door and bang on ours. No adult correction that we could hear, and it kept happening all....week.....long. Pretty annoying!
That would happen three times if it were my room. The third time would NOT be pleasant for anyone in the adjoining room.
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #2673
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephyarcouette View Post
I don't like using plastic water bottles, we have our reusable water bottles that follow us everywhere!! Is the water out of the taps good?
I wouldn't go so far as to say good, but it is quite drinkable, if a little chlorinated for my taste. It tastes much better cold with plenty of ice in it though. And it is far better than dehydrating in the Florida heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl1818 View Post
My first POR vacation starts on Wednesday! I was wondering where there is a mailbox or somewhere to send out postcards? I've got 5 nephews I hope to send some WDW love!
Yes, there's a mailbox in the main lobby. You can get stamps and postcards from the hotel shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Can you make microwave popcorn brought from home in the food court microwave?? Packing and was just wondering
I can't see any reason why not, the microwaves are there for guest use for whatever they need to heat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
There were a few little kiddos in the room next to us who thought it was FUN and HILARIOUS to open their side of the door and bang on ours. No adult correction that we could hear
There would have some been adult correction fairly sharpish from me I can tell you! Followed by a sudden and alarming opening of our side of the door if it did not stop. And if all else failed, I'd get the hotel management to step in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
Is paying for a view worthwhile? I always pay for a view when staying deluxe since I utilize the balconies a lot. I did pay for a GV for POR RGR. Is the riverview worth the extra money?

Also I see the two buildings where the RGR's are... is that the last bus stop? Is it better to go across the river and catch the bus at the food court? What is the order of the buses?
I do like the River View rooms, yes - but some people who just sit inside with the blinds closed in case someone walks past the window, and if that's likely to be you then there's not much point in paying the extra. See www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Views for more thoughts on the subject.

The bus order varies, mostly by which park you are going to. The East Depot, behind the RGRs, is sometimes the third stop, sometimes the fourth. For example the MK buses usually do the outer stops first and then go on to the main building (South Depot), meaning that the East stop is definitely a good place to catch that bus. It also depends where in the building your room happens to be located as to which bus stop is closer for you.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #2674
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
That is unreal....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
That would happen three times if it were my room. The third time would NOT be pleasant for anyone in the adjoining room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
There would have some been adult correction fairly sharpish from me I can tell you! Followed by a sudden and alarming opening of our side of the door if it did not stop. And if all else failed, I'd get the hotel management to step in.

Andre
I know!! We did call the "front desk" (which I know really isn't the front desk) and asked to switch rooms, but there was nothing else available. I don't know if they ever spoke to the family beside us, but it never really subsided
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #2675
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Port Orleans Pirate cruise

Has anyone sent their kids on the pirate adventure cruise from POR? My 7 year old is very interested in doing this. I am a little wary of sending my child off on a boat without any family with him. My oldest is 15 so he is too old to go with him. So if you have done this; 1) Did your child enjoy the adventure? 2) did you feel comfortable letting them go? 3) Would you do it again?

thanks in advance.
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #2676
zabache
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post
Has anyone sent their kids on the pirate adventure cruise from POR? My 7 year old is very interested in doing this. I am a little wary of sending my child off on a boat without any family with him. My oldest is 15 so he is too old to go with him. So if you have done this; 1) Did your child enjoy the adventure? 2) did you feel comfortable letting them go? 3) Would you do it again?

thanks in advance.
I'm interested in hearing others experiences as well. My dd wants to go, she's 9, and I'm also the type of parent that doesn't let her be alone with strangers but she's excited about going.
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a Royal Room!Pics of Trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
December 18-23, 2014 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #2677
zabache
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
Call and see if you can get a complimentary seven day hold on a room reservation. I've done this.
I did it. I called and reserved the room. They didn't have any standard rooms left so I got a garden view.
Thanks again
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a Royal Room!Pics of Trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
December 18-23, 2014 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #2678
DisneyFans222
There's a Mouse in our House :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post

I'm interested in hearing others experiences as well. My dd wants to go, she's 9, and I'm also the type of parent that doesn't let her be alone with strangers but she's excited about going.
My DS had an amazing time on his 1st pirate cruise at POR when he was 7. He came back with amazing stories of his adventure and lots of pirate booty...I found that I was worried for nothing...and as such, I wasted 2 precious hours to myself that would not come again soon ... Sigh

March 2014 SSR - Spring Break and EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival
Oct 2013 POP - MNSSHP and Food & Wine - Double Header!!!
Aug 2013 POR
June 2013 BWI
March 2013 Fantasy
More than 40 trips to WDW (Being a Florida resident has its perks)
Most Recent: 12/2012 BWI; 9/2012 BWI; 7/2012 SSR; 6/2012 BWI; 11/2011 YC; 7/2011 YC; 02/2011 Poly; 03/2011, etc ...

First Trip 09/1977
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #2679
elfling8
Mouseketeer

We just got home from a great week at Disney! I still have Dramamine brain from the flight, and will try to do a trip report in the next week, but just wanted to post a few things tonight.

We booked a River view room, and 7 days out sent a fax to request AB 2nd floor. We got that plus a corner to boot in building 38 . The room was great. Nice and clean. Our mousekeeper left us towel animals three separate times. The kids LOVED them and even left her a note telling her the animals names. They hung out with their stuffed animals the whole week. Room was quiet. Only heard neighbors when they flushed the toilet, and once in a great while heard people walking by the room. Very quiet at night. Beds/pillows were reasonably comfortable.

No real problems to speak of with the buses. We were at the bus stop (sometimes North, sometimes South) pretty early every day. Usually by 7 or 7:30, last day 8:30. Never waited more than 5 minutes in the morning. The evenings heading toward/coming home from MK were a bit more crowded and iffy. We took the boat from DTD once, and a taxi once (after our Kouzinna ADR - didn't want to fight two different bus stops at 8:30pm). Magic Express was great both ways.

Food court was good, pool fun, ride lines short. We had our share of whininess because of the heat, but we did go from 40 degrees to 90 in a day Everyone who is on your way soon, hope you enjoy the resort as much as we did!

Me DH
DD10 DS8
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #2680
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post

thanks in advance.
Mine haven't done the POR river cruise, but in 08 did the Albatross cruise from the BC/YC, and my then 6 year old DD LOVED it! Still talks about it when we mention WDW. Besides the CM driving the boat, there were 2 CMs for the ten or so children who were there. I would definitely send them again, if time permitted.
The reason we chose the Beach Club was because part of that adventure is getting to "sneak" into world Showcase before it opened for the day.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #2681
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFans222 View Post
My DS had an amazing time on his 1st pirate cruise at POR when he was 7. He came back with amazing stories of his adventure and lots of pirate booty...I found that I was worried for nothing...and as such, I wasted 2 precious hours to myself that would not come again soon ... Sigh
thank you so much, that makes me feel better!
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #2682
kimlrodg
Earning My Ears

some questions about our stay at POR

Hi all,

I know I'm probably thinking about this very early but any ideas for requests for rooms at POR? Our group has booked 3 standard rooms. Don't mind whether we end up in manor buildings or Alligator Bayou (but happy to hear opinions on both!)

Are we likely to get all three rooms close together without asking? Or should this be a request? Which buildings would you recommend? We like walking and are all quite fit and able, so that doesn't really make a difference to us.

Any tips to score a garden view room without upgrading?

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #2683
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post

Call ME at this number and request more: 1-866-599-0951
Thanks Venom so much for the information.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #2684
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDolacki2003 View Post
Thanks Venom so much for the information.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Yeah no problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #2685
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

How do the safes work? Are they the kind with a credit card closure? I can't remember.
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: