Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #2116
Suelala
Mouseketeer

We didn't ask for extras, like the first poster, Disney just sent extras. I realize they don't care how many suitcases a person brings...
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #2117
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWNext View Post
I saw this on another thread about POR...

"If you wanted a moderate we really liked POR also. The worst thing about them was the buses--not that we had long waits but they were really congested and no line to speak of so people would just walk in front of you even if you had been waiting."

Is this true ? I just want to be prepared !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail View Post
Well, its kind of true. There are covered areas with benches along the back. If it isn't crowded, people will take a seat on a bench. So, then there isn't much of a line. Enter a bus...people walking up will go right to the pickup area, bypassing the benches. They might get on first.

If you are a glass half-full kind of person, you would think, well, they can't know which bus the people on the benches were waiting for, they just saw the bus they wanted and hopped on. Which could be true. Each bus area goes to several destinations. If you are a glass half-empty person, you might think, "hey, those yahoos jumped right in front me!"

When its more crowded, people did kind of line up, which makes things easier. At least that was my experience in November.
Yes, this happens......a lot! The values are the only place we haven't seen it happen because they have actual roped off lines. All other resorts we've stayed at just had benches and a standing area. We are hyper sensitive and always pay attention to who was there before us and make sure to make a point of letting them on before us. However, I would say MOST people aren't like us. I am not a glass half empty person, at all, but it was a little frustrating to have been standing there for 20 minutes and have someone walk up as a bus was arriving and just push up to the front without any regard for people already there (especially when the bus arriving was almost full and we knew their pushing to the front meant we'd be waiting 20 more minutes for another bus )
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)

Last edited by SRUAlmn; 04-03-2013 at 07:15 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #2118
jmqidoc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinggirl View Post
Are there any rooms that have hot tubs in them anywhere inside Disney?
I stayed at Old Key West ... they had a wonderful Jetted tub in the master room. It was really more like a jaccuzzi. After a long day at the parks myself and the dd's sat there, myself inside the girls with their feet in. It was heavenly
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #2119
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
So, for a Thursday arrival (June 20), would you fax your request on the Friday before or the Monday before? Thanks.
Friday or Saturday morning would be fine. It's not a science or a military operation though, don't overthink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Yes, this happens......a lot! The values are the only place we haven't see it happen because they have actual roped off lines. All other resorts we've stayed at just had benches and a standing area.
I guess the trick is to stay near the kerbside where the bus will pull up. If you decide to take the weight off your feet (very tempting!) and sit on the benches, people will naturally get in front of you.

It's like waiting for a Disney parade - if you want to be at the front, you have to sit right there on the kerbside, not on the benches a few yards back, because people will fill in all the gaps.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #2120
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Are they 2 adults and 2 kids? maybe 2 per adult 1 per child?
We are 2 adult/2 child and just got 4 hard tags. You guys were just lucky I guess

Me DH
DD10 DS8
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2121
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We are hyper sensitive and always pay attention to who was there before us and make sure to make a point of letting them on before us. However, I would say MOST people aren't like us. I am not a glass half empty person, at all, but it was a little frustrating to have been standing there for 20 minutes and have someone walk up as a bus was arriving and just push up to the front without any regard for people already there (especially when the bus arriving was almost full and we knew their pushing to the front meant we'd be waiting 20 more minutes for another bus )
We are the same way, and people are quite often surprised when we let people who were there before us get on before us. But thats how it can be if there is a horizontal line of people, or just a kinda weird group, depending where the bus stops and where its doors are especially.

Glad there are other people like us out there

I guess we just don't care all that much though, we are still going to get there, and I would rather not add the stress of worrying whether we will get a "good spot" on the bus .... meh.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #2122
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post

I guess the trick is to stay near the kerbside where the bus will pull up. If you decide to take the weight off your feet (very tempting!) and sit on the benches, people will naturally get in front of you.

It's like waiting for a Disney parade - if you want to be at the front, you have to sit right there on the kerbside, not on the benches a few yards back, because people will fill in all the gaps.

Andre
Oh, trust me, we don't sit on the benches, but it's still a tricky situation. Example: We walk up and there are people sitting on the benches, so we hang back, not wanting to stand on the curb and cut in front of them. We wait a while and then a bus pulls up. People walk right up, past us, past the people on the benches, and get on the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
We are the same way, and people are quite often surprised when we let people who were there before us get on before us. But thats how it can be if there is a horizontal line of people, or just a kinda weird group, depending where the bus stops and where its doors are especially.

Glad there are other people like us out there

I guess we just don't care all that much though, we are still going to get there, and I would rather not add the stress of worrying whether we will get a "good spot" on the bus .... meh.
Aw, Yay! I'm so glad to know there are other caring people out there like us! We don't really let it get to us too much and actually prefer to stand on the bus, but when it's happened SO many times and there have been some really rude incidents it creates that negative connotation when someone brings it up, you know?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #2123
headedtoWDW
Earning My Ears

So excited to have my first disboards post!

My daughter and I are leaving in 2 weeks for POR, and have booked a royal room. I have a room request question, and hope someone can help me out.

We've booked a standard view room, but I'm going to try and request a quiet room away from the stairs (my daughter is the world's lightest sleeper) - does anyone have any specific room or location suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #2124
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headedtoWDW View Post

My daughter and I are leaving in 2 weeks for POR, and have booked a royal room. I have a room request question, and hope someone can help me out.

We've booked a standard view room, but I'm going to try and request a quiet room away from the stairs (my daughter is the world's lightest sleeper) - does anyone have any specific room or location suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Welcome to DIS Boards

I am a little jealous I still have a month to wait !!!

If you head to portorleans.org they have full maps it room numbers and stair locations I think !!!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2125
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Friday or Saturday morning would be fine. It's not a science or a military operation though, don't overthink it

Andre
You don't know me!! LOL I'm type A and I overthink and over plan like crazy!! Thanks! I'll send it Saturday. I appreciate all of your great advice!
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2126
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

Is there a place to get ice at POR? We are bringing a small cooler.
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #2127
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
Is there a place to get ice at POR? We are bringing a small cooler.
All resorts have ice machines. Check out the maps here and click on each individual building and you'll be able to see where the machines are located.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #2128
stephyarcouette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
But stephyarcouette got 6 hard tags for a group of 4, which isn't 2 tags per person.
I think I understand what happened...my kids' ages were mixed up so when I called to inquire about something I had them change the mix up, but now my info on my Mickey Mail says I have 4 kids!! On my online reservation it still says 2 adults 2 kids so I should be ok right?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #2129
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headedtoWDW View Post

Thanks so much!
Very exciting! We go to POR for our first time in 3 weeks! I just wanted to add that my son is also a very light sleeper as am I and last year at Wilderness Lodge I just requested a room in a quiet location for naps and early bedtimes. We got the perfect quiet room there! It might be best to request a quiet room and maybe top floor so no one is above you......the POR experts might have better advice with more specifics though!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #2130
stephyarcouette
Earning My Ears

Did I see somewhere here that someone mentioned Wal Mart will deliver groceries??
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: