Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #1771
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Weird Question

Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated. Hubby said it depends on this. He will not partake in anything were he believes animals are being mistreated. For example we have never been on a horse and carriage ride in NYC because of the stories of mistreated horses. Thanks in advance.

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #1772
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB919
Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated. Hubby said it depends on this. He will not partake in anything were he believes animals are being mistreated. For example we have never been on a horse and carriage ride in NYC because of the stories of mistreated horses. Thanks in advance.
From what i have read.. Disney has been known for treating animal EXTREMELY well.. Much better the most zoo and other animal related venues..

In animal kingdom one of the animal handlers came out and was talking to us on our last trip..
She explained to us that animals at disney are treated like VIPs!
She elaborated on the enrichment program they have.. By rewarding the animals with treats hidden in secret areas..
This way the animal gets a treat, and the guests get to see the animals, They NEVER force the animals to do something they don't want to..
Other then vet checks, or if they feel an animal is unwell...

I'm sure disney has rules and guideline in place for all its animals.... And I'm sure the horses are given their cut (in carrots) ;-) at the end of the day..

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #1773
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzati
We are staying at POR at the end of April...can anyone tell me if any type of floatie or life jackets are available for young children at the pools? Thank you.
Life jackets in different sizes are available for sign out at the marina window. You can sign out for your entire stay and keep the jackets at your room. There is obviously a charge if they are not returned at the end of your stay.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #1774
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Here is the pic of the carriage we had in August.
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012

Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #1775
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB919 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
From what i have read.. Disney has been known for treating animal EXTREMELY well.. Much better the most zoo and other animal related venues..

In animal kingdom one of the animal handlers came out and was talking to us on our last trip..
She elaborated on the enrichment program they have.. By rewarding the animals with treats hidden in secret areas..
This way the animal gets a treat, and the guests get to see the animals, They NEVER force the animals to do something they don't want to..

I'm sure disney has rules and guideline in place for all its animals.... And I'm sure the horses are given their cut (in carrots) ;-) at the end of the day..
The carriage rides are operated by Disney's Animal Programs division, which oversees all animals on property. Yes, they are treated very well indeed. In fact, they make sure the horses don't do the same thing all the time, so they don't get bored.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #1776
loganjared
Mouseketeer

Do you have to book in advance. If we will be there May 18-29 what is the likelihood we could just walk up and have availability to take a carriage ride?

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #1777
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
Do you have to book in advance. If we will be there May 18-29 what is the likelihood we could just walk up and have availability to take a carriage ride?
Quoted from http://portorleans.org/recreation.php:

"•Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance on 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529). A credit card is required to confirm but this will only be charged for no-shows or cancellations at less than 24-hours notice.
•Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there is no pre-booked reservation for that time slot."
Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #1778
Megsmachine
I love Minnie!

We received our ME packet in the mail yesterday!!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #1779
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post

I have to agree with this.. having taken the AK Backstage tour and the Dolphins in Depth tour, Disney treats it's animals with the utmost care.

For example, when training the dolphins, there's 3 levels of rewards. In dinner terms, it would be appetizer, main course, and dessert. All are positive rewards, but main course is better than appetizer and dessert is best of all.

If the dolphin doesn't want to do something/or gets an exercise wrong, they get an appetizer. If they don't want to do it, they're not forced to do it. However, normally, they'll want to try again because if they get it right, they get the main course. If they get it right on the first try, they get the dessert. Everything is positive reinforcement, never negative.

I also love the story about WDW using Doves. They stopped using doves in all of their shows/parades/etc because the hawks nearby learned when the doves would be released and knew when to feed. Disney stopped using doves to save their lives.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #1780
michi-gan
Earning My Ears

Riverside to Animal Kingdom Lodge??? Bus available? Best way when using Disney transportation? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #1781
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi-gan
Riverside to Animal Kingdom Lodge??? Bus available? Best way when using Disney transportation? Thanks.
No direct buses from resort to resort. You can take a bus or water taxi to Downtown Disney from Riverside and catch a bus to AKL from there. It would be quicker to get a cab. Prices are pretty reasonable.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #1782
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
The carriage ride wasn't $45 per person, must be a typo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webstah View Post
You are incorrect, it is a total of $45 plus tip for the trip, not per person. The Carriage ride won't cost you $180.
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult). You should arrive at the marina area no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time and wait for the carriage to collect you. The service may be cancelled in cases of inclement weather.
I knew I wasn't crazy. Look at this link. Roll your mouse over the little blue "i" next to the price $45. This is the official Disney web site.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...arriage-rides/
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 11
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #1783
loganjared
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post

Quoted from http://portorleans.org/recreation.php:

"•Reservations are recommended and can be made up to 180 days in advance on 1-407-WDW-PLAY (1-407-939-7529). A credit card is required to confirm but this will only be charged for no-shows or cancellations at less than 24-hours notice.
•Guests wishing to check on same-day availability may call 1-407-824-2832, and walk-up guests will be accepted at the departure location if there is no pre-booked reservation for that time slot."
Thank you

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #1784
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post

I knew I wasn't crazy. Look at this link. Roll your mouse over the little blue "i" next to the price $45. This is the official Disney web site.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...arriage-rides/
I just looked and you are right. Every site I have seen says its $45 for the ride regardless of how many ( up to 4). So I am assuming the Disney site is wrong.
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #1785
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyzmom View Post
But, if you take a closer look, it's $45 PER PERSON!!!
Erm, how do you work that out from:
The cost is $45 including tax for the 25-minute ride and the carriage can hold up to four adults, or three adults and two small children (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult).
To clarify (which I didn't think needed doing) it is $45 per carriage ride, not per person.

Edit: Just seen your later message. I can't currently get to that page on the WDW website at moment (or indeed any of the pages on the US site at all) as the international forced-redirect is totally messed up and they don't seem terribly interested in fixing it just now. However it wouldn't be the first time that something was wrong on the Disney site; I've been saying for many years that the Colonel's Cotton Mill nomenclature went away along with Dixie Landings in 2001, but even according to the new website, when I could see it, the main building is still called that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB919 View Post
Going back to the horse and carriage ride. I really would like to book one but was wondering if anyone knows of or where to find information about the horses and how they're kept/treated.
As has already been said, Disney treats their animals very well. The horses only work during the cooler times of the day (around 6pm-9pm at POR) and they even get a half-hour break in the middle of that slot. The route is a very gentle amble for a horse of that size, and the drivers appear to care a great deal for their charges. I wouldn't worry about any New York style mistreatment.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 03-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: