Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
maurihart
Mouseketeer

Families of five or more...

This baffles me in a lot of ways. What are "big" families to do at disney? We booked POR for October for our family of five. Working the online booking is very hard when you have more than 4 in your family. What are the other options? What happens when DS5 gets too big for the Murphy bed? Are we just forced into getting two rooms? We go to other hotels all the time and have roll away bed options. Is this something WDW just doesn't do? And what deluxe resorts are suited for families of five? And what in the world do people with more than 3 kids do???

ME! 38 DH 43

DS (13) DD (10) DS (6)
maurihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

There's the family suites, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas, and the Ft. Wilderness cabins. Some of the deluxes have 2 queens and a day bed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
amytech
Mouseketeer

I hear ya... I can tell you what this family of 6 (4 children) do...

We have stayed onsite once with all six of us and yes, we had to get two rooms. We stayed in All Star Music and the rate wasn't bad but what killed us was the FOOD! We did not go during free dining but went off season during March. We could not believe how much food cost us!!!

Now what we do is rent a house nearby for our 6 plus my mom. Way cheaper We miss the "full Disney experience" but since two of my kids really love their down time on vacations and need quiet, it works for us. We cook wonderful dinners at the house, take sandwiches into the parks and supplement with snacks in the parks which is a treat and eat the normal breakfasts we would at home. We love having a private pool so it really works for us. And we have saved a ton of money...

That said, this year we are staying at BC since DS2 is a CP and he has a lovely discount for us at hotels DH isn't big on Disney in August so it is me and the 4 kids so we can fit in a room for 5 and with the huge discount we can afford the BC for a few nights

Having a large family is what stopped us from staying onsite for so many years. We LOVE Disney and come most years. But it isn't set up for large families on our budget at this point. Renting off site has worked well for us...
'05 All Star Music,
'07-'12 offsite trips,
May '13-POFQ, Aug. '13 BC
May '14- BC
amytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

I hear you, it's tough for a family of 5. Disney is actually pretty good, because there are decent options, albeit a bit more pricey. We stayed in the AoA suites last year and had a fantastic time. We loved the resort and felt the room was spacious and comfortable for us. This year we're trying out the Beach Club. They have rooms with two queens and a twin sized day bed. So do the Yacht Club, BWI, Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian. The Wilderness Lodge has deluxe rooms that fit 6, but they are pricier due to being on the club level. The WL and AKL standard rooms only fit 4.

The moderates don't appeal to me much right now, but other families love them. The POR looks like a great resort, but with the ages of my kids I think we'd be too cramped. I think if you had 3 younger children it's a good choice. The Fort Wilderness cabins have more space, but I'm not an outdoorsy sort of person. I can see folks who love camping and nature would have a blast there. It looks beautiful.

I think all the Disney resorts provide a wonderful experience, no matter the level.

I've looked at other vacation possibilities (the Bahamas, Hawaii, Europe), and I've found the lack of room options to be a big problem. Either the maximum package is for 4 people, or you have to pay double the cost for that second room.

When the kids are older we'll consider two rooms, but right now with so few hotels guaranteeing connecting rooms we're staying away from that for now. The last thing I'd want is to have my husband and I have to split up with kids.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
JaimeA
Mouseketeer

I have three kids, we started in the values when the youngest was under three. Then we stayed in POR. That was too tight so we started to stay in deluxes. As the kids grew those became tight so we bough DVC. Now we stay in a two bedroom villa.

I have heard that the cabins are great for a family with more than 2 kids but we never stayed there. You can also rent points from a member and stay in a villa for a good price.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

That of course depends on your budget. I will tell you that we are renting points instead of booking straight through Disney. We have 6 adults and an infant. Instead of booking several rooms, we are renting a 2 BR villa that will fit everyone perfectly. What was nice was that with splitting the cost of the room, adding park hopper tickets for 7 days, and adding the dining plan, we come out just a bit more expensive than putting 4 in one room and 3 in another in a Moderate.

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

We are a family of five and one of our children is an infant so in theory we could still fit in one room but are choosing connecting rooms. One room is just too tight for us all to relax at the end of a long day.
2009CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

We have a family of 5 and it seems the options are as follows:

1) Deluxe resorts that sleep 5 (CR, Poly, GF, BC/YC, BW, AKL)
2) Deluxe villa 1BR (BLT or AKL and maybe one other???) either rent points or pay big $$$
3) Family suites (all star music or art of animation) while they are value resorts, still a little pricey
4) Cabins at FW
5) POR Alligator Bayou (but only if the 5th person is small!)
6) 2 rooms at any resort

Hope this helps!
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

You know when Disney redid their website they took away the link for the "families of 5 or more". I sure can't seem to find that page/link again.

But to answer your question- yes, I guess you do start looking elsewhere. There are many other options but they are pricier.

The least expensive suite options are ASMusic family suites. The AoA also (though perhaps better for those with younger kids).

The Villas are good options, don't overlook them. Old Key West you can do a 1 BR Villa that sleeps 5. Most of the deluxe rooms do sleep 5. Both Kidani and Jambo have 1 BR villas that sleep 5. Bay Lake Tower villas also sleep 5.

There's also the Cabins that sleep 6. These are not actually much more than two rooms at the values.

The Deluxes of course: Poly, Grand, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Beach, Yacht. (not regular rooms though at Wilderness or AKL)

Very pricey options are Beach and Boardwalk deluxe rooms (Boardwalk rooms sleep 6, two queens and a queen sofa bed, just stayed in one, very nice, like a mini suite)
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
The Fort Wilderness cabins have more space, but I'm not an outdoorsy sort of person. I can see folks who love camping and nature would have a blast there. It looks beautiful.
Believe it or not, I've never camped with my family and we stayed in the Cabins and we loved it. It really wasn't at all like camping. It was totally clean, and almost zero bugs (in Jan/Feb I couldn't vouch for non winter months).
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

The issue we are finding besides being possibly 5 next year, is not only the if 5 are allowed, but we really want two baths ( at least 2 toilets).

It would be DH, DD, DS and my mom. My mom is insisting on her own, private bathroom. Plus probably doesnt want my husband seeing her in her night gown and my DH also sleeps in his whities. so that is an issue.

It's just so expensive getting that extra room for one person. We normally stay at moderates, but AoA family suite is looking like a good thing at the moment.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

The PPs have provided great information on what is available. As a family of five, I actually feel there are many options easily available. I used to have a much harder time planning non-Disney vacations.

In the end of 2010, after 10 nights at the BC in one room, where the year before we fit just fine, we started doing the connecting rooms. One room/one bathroom just became too tight for the five of us as the boys got older (and BIG). We travel often for various reasons and have only once not had our connecting room request honored. This was a few months ago at a hockey tournament. The whole floor was filled with families we knew, so I wasn't concerned about the boys being next door.

For a few reasons we are doing a BC/Poly split stay this summer and will have two, hopefully, connecting rooms at each. Going forward though my disney plan is to rent points for a 2br villa.

Last edited by momto3gr8boys; 06-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.
momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

In what I'm pretty sure is increasing price:

1. That Murphy bed room at POR. Not an option for us, since my only son is way too tall.
2. Hopefully connecting rooms at a Value.
3. Family suite at ASMusic
4. AoA Suite
5. Cabins at Fort Wilderness
6. Deluxe room with a daybed.(Note: Standard rooms at WL and AKL do NOT have daybeds). The cheapest is usually a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary, followed by a standard room at BC, YC or BWI. Then comes the Poly, followed by the GF.
7. DVC. For many of them, you'll need a 2 bedroom.

Something else you may want to consider: a Deluxe Alcove room at the Dolphin, particularly if you qualify for the teacher, nurse or government employee discounts. That was my backup plan last year in the event that we didn't get a PIN or discount. http://www.swandolphin.com/accommoda...xe_alcove.html

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
The issue we are finding besides being possibly 5 next year, is not only the if 5 are allowed, but we really want two baths ( at least 2 toilets).

It would be DH, DD, DS and my mom. My mom is insisting on her own, private bathroom. Plus probably doesnt want my husband seeing her in her night gown and my DH also sleeps in his whities. so that is an issue.

It's just so expensive getting that extra room for one person. We normally stay at moderates, but AoA family suite is looking like a good thing at the moment.
You should consider renting dvc points and staying at Kidani in a 2 bedroom villa. That way, you and your DH would have a room with your own private bathroom, your Mom would have a room with her own bathroom and the kids would have their own bathroom. Lots of privacy for everyone.

It is surprisingly an affordable option. We are renting a 1 bedroom as that fits our needs. It's costing us approx. $2400 for 9 nights. The same dates at AoA is $3252. You have to do your homework and make sure there is a trust with the owner, but it can be a fantastic way to vacation.
thr33boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Mollymum
Earning My Ears

Re: POR murphy bed - stayed there last week for 5 days and my 14 year old daughter slept on the murphy bed! She is 5'4" and her feet were right at the end of the bed. Our family of 5 was fine there - we enjoyed it. Another year we did family suite at ASMu and that was a little more roomy, but more expensive than POR. Your 5 yr-old won't outgrow the murphy bed for a few years at least.

Mollymum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: