Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I am glad to hear a breakdown of all the information from that thread. Unfortunately I still think it all sounds awfull. I am really really hoping that I am completely wrong and Disney blows me away. But I don't want to plan that extensively...and I enjoy my husband putting his phone away while on vacation and not taking it out all the time, I would go bonkers if the cell phone had to butt it's way back into our vacation time

I hope this is WAY better that it sounds. Crossing my fingers!

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I agree! Same concerns. It was a fun show, and I enjoyed hearing their perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
Careful where you leave off a "P"
Best laugh of today! I read it but my mind automatically corrected it, so I didn't catch it.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
SamSam

DIS Veteran

One thing I'm concerned with (other than having to plan things I normally don't plan ahead), is that we are AP holders but live far away so some of our trips are extended (2-3 weeks), being limited to a certain number of FP's per quarter just doesn't seem fair for the way we vacation. I would rather have a cerain number per year, or so many per day - regardless of whether you are an AP holder or not.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest Restaurant to begin another round of testing FASTPASS+

Quote:
Be Our Guest Restaurant to begin another round of testing FASTPASS+
Feb 22, 2013 | 10:12am EST

The hugely popular 'Be Our Guest Restaurant' in the Magic Kingdom's New Fantasyland is carrying out another round of FASTPASS+ testing during the next few days. Guests have been preselected from those staying at select resorts, and will be invited to try the FASTPASS+ reservation system for lunch. You can read more about this from the December test.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I will add it to the list. The information is trickling.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #21
ougrad86
OU Sooners Football Fan!

I was reading a trip report the other day, and there is a frequent poster on many of the same ones I read who is a castmember. She said the current timetable was for itbto go live Feb-Mar. Since Feb is almost over...but I was a little behind, so things might haved changed, but tht is the latest I heard.

We won't be able to make it to WDW until spring 2014, so hoping I'll be able to get up to speed bt that time.

Disneyland off site 1973;WDW off site 1974 (band trip); WDW off site 1985; WDW SOG March 2006; WDW SOG Nov 2009 with friends; WDW AKL Oct/Nov 2010 with friends; Universal/WDW HRH Spring Break 2012 with friends; WDW AKL Nov 2012 with friends; WDW Coronado/Uni Portofino Spring Break 2014 with friends ! No New Ticker - college and Grand Canyon planning
Disney: so far into our heads, hopes and dreams that it is legendarily the Mouse that built the better people trap...
ougrad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I hate to say this...but 15 minutes into the podcast and reading the threads, it seems like there is still a lot of speculation.

My biggest concern for all of this: When I go to the parks now, I currently typically get 6-8 Fastpasses per day. Now admittedly some of the morning ones probably don't save me much (if any) time, but Disney is now expecting me to drop down to 3 FP+ a day and calling that an "improvement"? Not sure it is.

I also want to chime in about all the people complaining about how you can't use it for hopping. While it doesn't work well for spontaneous hopping, I can see where the FP+ give a HUGE advantage for PLANNED hopping.

Example: I decide to spend the morning @ MK and the afternoon @ Epcot. I plan my FP+ so that I have an afternoon FP+ for Soarin', M:S and then a seat for Illuminations.

OR: I spend the morning at AK, and evening @ DHS. I have my FP+ for TSMM, and a reserved seat for Indiana Jones and Fantasmic.

SO, funnily enough I feel MORE likely to want to hop with FP+.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I hate to say this...but 15 minutes into the podcast and reading the threads, it seems like there is still a lot of speculation.

My biggest concern for all of this: When I go to the parks now, I currently typically get 6-8 Fastpasses per day. Now admittedly some of the morning ones probably don't save me much (if any) time, but Disney is now expecting me to drop down to 3 FP+ a day and calling that an "improvement"? Not sure it is.

I also want to chime in about all the people complaining about how you can't use it for hopping. While it doesn't work well for spontaneous hopping, I can see where the FP+ give a HUGE advantage for PLANNED hopping.

Example: I decide to spend the morning @ MK and the afternoon @ Epcot. I plan my FP+ so that I have an afternoon FP+ for Soarin', M:S and then a seat for Illuminations.

OR: I spend the morning at AK, and evening @ DHS. I have my FP+ for TSMM, and a reserved seat for Indiana Jones and Fantasmic.

SO, funnily enough I feel MORE likely to want to hop with FP+.
Yes, there is a HUGE amount of speculation still, because Disney still hasn't tested real-world use of FP+, or provided anything other info other than you can book three in advance.

And you are right, it does work GREAT for planned park hopping - in the later park - and assuming you can get late FP+ for that park. We don't know yet how hard it will be to get them, and I have a feeling people will want later FP+ more so than early FP+, making them harder to get... *

But you can't also get FP+ (in advance) in the early park, which is where it seems limiting. I'm also not sure if that would drive me to hop more or less.

* I have a feeling this will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because people will say you'll need to book your FP+ 60 days in advance in order to get what you want, you WILL need to book them 60 days in advance - because everyone else will...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
But you can't also get FP+ (in advance) in the early park, which is where it seems limiting. I'm also not sure if that would drive me to hop more or less.

* I have a feeling this will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because people will say you'll need to book your FP+ 60 days in advance in order to get what you want, you WILL need to book them 60 days in advance - because everyone else will...
Since we go at slow times of the year, I would rarely if ever want to get FP+ for the mornings anyways.

As far as the booking 60 days in advance, I think it will take a while before that really happens, if ever. A restaurant like CRT might have 300 seatings for a party of 6 the entire day, whereas Space Mountain will probably have 5,000 FPs available to pre-book, as will other rides. I think if anything has an issue with booking up fast, it will be reserved seating for things like Illuminations and Wishes. But early on, when there is only going to be a few thousand people each day using this service (because not everyone will be using it) I don't think even that will be an issue.

Until the ACTUALLY announce what it is, I can't devote much time to worrying about it. (Just enough to write this post.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #25
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Since we go at slow times of the year, I would rarely if ever want to get FP+ for the mornings anyways.

As far as the booking 60 days in advance, I think it will take a while before that really happens, if ever. A restaurant like CRT might have 300 seatings for a party of 6 the entire day, whereas Space Mountain will probably have 5,000 FPs available to pre-book, as will other rides. I think if anything has an issue with booking up fast, it will be reserved seating for things like Illuminations and Wishes. But early on, when there is only going to be a few thousand people each day using this service (because not everyone will be using it) I don't think even that will be an issue.
It depends on how many slots they allocate to FP+ vs. FP vs. the percentage of those eligible (and using) FP+ as they roll it out. But I agree, what we'll see during rollout could vary WILDLY from how it will work in full production.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

I read on another site later that the "selected resorts" where this would be tested include: Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian. Dates are supposedly Feb 25-28, so has anyone heard about this going on now?

AllEars.net: FastPass+ Test for Lunch at Be Our Guest

Quote:
FastPass+ Test for Lunch at Be Our Guest
February 23, 2013

MyMagic+ continues to be tested in a variety of ways at Walt Disney World. The latest test is for FastPass+ Dining! Randomly selected guests at the Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian will receive a FastPass+ card with a specified arrival time for lunch (counter service) at the Be Our Guest restaurant in the new Fantasyland. Upon arriving at Be Our Guest during the specified arrival window, the guest will receive expedited service for lunch. FastPass+ dates for this trial are February 25-28th. As with all things Disney, subject to change without notice and theme park admission is required.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: