Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Flight inclusive package from WDW

So I'm still months away from even considering to book. We're planning our next visit aprox in november 2014 so we can se the Christmas stuff for a cheap price. Last time we went, we booked a flight inclusive package from WDW. Now because of that, I've no idea how much the flight and hotel cost separately. So does any of you have any experience in what is cheaper? Or isn't it a big difference?

WDW CM: Feb. 2006 - March 2007 and Aug. 2008 - May 2009 Previous trips: Feb. 2007 (Saratoga Springs), Sept. 2007 (Off-site), Sept. 2010 (POP), Sept. 2012 (POFQ) Next trip: Disneymoon Nov 13th - Dec 4th 2014
GirlDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDreamer View Post
So I'm still months away from even considering to book. We're planning our next visit aprox in november 2014 so we can se the Christmas stuff for a cheap price. Last time we went, we booked a flight inclusive package from WDW. Now because of that, I've no idea how much the flight and hotel cost separately. So does any of you have any experience in what is cheaper? Or isn't it a big difference?
I'd book everything by itself. If you book a big package like that with a lot of components you get into some tricky cancelation policies. You aren't saving any money by doing a package..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Really? I thought we got a good price for our previous package? It cost £3200 for two adults and included:

- Round trip flights
- Moderate resort for 14 nights
- Free dining
- $150 gift card
- 14 days of ultimate park tickets

WDW CM: Feb. 2006 - March 2007 and Aug. 2008 - May 2009 Previous trips: Feb. 2007 (Saratoga Springs), Sept. 2007 (Off-site), Sept. 2010 (POP), Sept. 2012 (POFQ) Next trip: Disneymoon Nov 13th - Dec 4th 2014
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
duffdo
Mouseketeer

Package Holiday vs DIY

I feel as though I am in a good position to help you here, as I am travelling to WDW in November 2013 on a flight inclusive package with Disney and have booked other trips, flights and hotel separately:

For my November 2013 trip, I booked the hotel/ticket element of my package very very early (May 2012). Ever since, I have been comparing prices both with WDW and other providers and found that by booking early I obtained the best discount possible and got free dining and a $200 gift card to boot. I was very happy with this and could not find a cheaper way.

Anyway, in December 2012 my direct flights were released. Disney allows you to upgrade to a package holiday when this happens with no amendment fee. Disney quoted me around £150 more per person for the direct flights than the cheapest provider (the airline themselves) could. This was where I could have saved myself a few quid. If I had chosen to fly indirectly (which I personally hate doing) I could have saved around £250 per person. As there are only 2 of us travelling, I decided to go for the convenience and security of having my booking all in one place.

To my dismay, I also later found out later one of the cashback sites offer cashback on holidays booked with WDW (around 3%) so that would have saved me even more!

The last time I booked my holiday separately was in June 2008. I booked this holiday really late (around 6 weeks prior to travel!) This time, I booked the hotel/tickets direct with Disney (they were the cheapest at the time) and managed to get flights to Sanford from Manchester (chartered) for £255 per person return! I never expect to get flights that cheap again!

Anyway, my point is, if you are clever with your booking (book early, use cashback site etc,) I think in terms of accommodation and tickets (assuming you want to stay on WDW, booking direct with them will always be your cheapest option. Flights on the other hand can vary in price so much. If you are prepared to fly indirect this is definitely the cheapest option (in my experience potentially to the tune of around £250 per person) or if you are also prepared to "DIY" this could result in further savings.

Personally, I would always book a flight inclusive package direct with WDW. I know it is more expensive, but it does give you peace of mind, such as full ATOL protection, as well as the ability to secure your holiday for only £300 (airlines want payment for flights upfront!)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope you get a deal with which you are happy!
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Yeah, my last one was flight inclusive, and I'm pretty sure I ended up with that because I figured it would be about the same price or cheaper as booking it separately. I don't mind indirect flights, as it saves a little cash. But what are those cash back sites you're talking about? I've never heard of those...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Really? I thought we got a good price for our previous package? It cost £3200 for two adults and included:

- Round trip flights
- Moderate resort for 14 nights
- Free dining
- $150 gift card
- 14 days of ultimate park tickets
When was that? Last year? I believe I paid around £3200 for 18 nights at POFQ last year with free dining and the $150 gift card for a September trip, just to give you an idea

It's not bad but you can do better most times by doing it DIY. Although I have been booking flights separately for a few years now, I still call WDTC and ask for a room & ticket quote. Then I ask them to run a flight inclusive quote. Subtract the R&T price from the Flight package price and you will see what the flights are costing. I was told 2 years ago that the price was 'good' when the CM ran the flight inclusive. I was dubious about this having already had an idea what I would be looking at and the great prices (for September not in school hols I should add) came out over £900 a head. Needless to say I booked the room and ticket with Disney and paid £402 each for flights myself lol. That's £1000 give or take, shaved off the price. There are good package deals but I just haven't found any to beat a DIY trip, even though I do keep an open mind and price up flight inclusive as well just in case
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Our holiday was last september as well. I guess the best thing to do, is look up how much the package is with and without flights and then check how much flights will cost separately. Unless I quit my job before I go, I guess I'll have too check how much it is through Thomas Cook as well, as I've currently got a discount there through my job. Because as far as I've understood it, you get the package with diningplan with the TA as well?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
2Tiggies

Quote:
Our holiday was last september as well. I guess the best thing to do, is look up how much the package is with and without flights and then check how much flights will cost separately. Unless I quit my job before I go, I guess I'll have too check how much it is through Thomas Cook as well, as I've currently got a discount there through my job. Because as far as I've understood it, you get the package with diningplan with the TA as well?
You do - not sure if they all offer it but the main ones like CO, Thomas Cook, Thomson and VH all participate in the Free Dining deals. Now it's a waiting game to see what and if they offer for next year .....

Don't dismiss any option when costing up holiday prices for comparison. I have not had a package beat a DIY for years, but there are folk who have had great deals and it all depends on the ifs, hows, wheres, whens and whats of your trip.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Disney Princesses LW
Mouseketeer

we plan to go September next year and above has answered alot of my questions too

I plan to book tickets & hotel PO through WDW direct then search for flights I did wonder if we could at a later date "add" flights to the booking So glad we can if a cheaper options doesnt come up

although I found some good package deals on Cosmos the other day too
Disneyland Paris Feb 2012, Oct 2012 and March 2013
just booked again
Walt Disney World September 2014

Disney Princesses LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
queendisney
DIS Veteran

We are going in November this year (18/11/13) DIY for 15 nights at POR with free dining, $100 gift card and unlimited tickets...we paid for our flights with VA airmiles but before we did that we priced it up with buying the flights and the whole thing came to £2945

I have forgotten exactly how much it was now priced as a package but it was a good £600 more expensive when I was looking! I think last year was the first time in a while we actually did do a package but we did get a good deal and it only came out £100 more expensive but normally we don't get anywhere close to beating DIY..but never say never as you just don't know what might come up

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
We are going in Oct 29 - Nov 12th this year. We are going for the same reason you mentioned, we get to see the Halloween stuff the first week and the second week we'll get to see the Christmas stuff! Also we will get to do both the MNSSHP and MVMCP all in one holiday.

The first thing I would say is BOOK EARLY! They release the 2014 holidays in April and as the poster below said, the best deal was between April and June last year but you couldn't book flights at that time. I also got the free $200 gift card and free full dining plan. Unlike the poster below, Disney couldn't get a decent price for flights to add on. They had huge problems with the 2 direct flight operators (VA & BA) and advised me not to add on flights to our existing package but to get flights elsewhere. We managed to get decent price flights with BA directly and made that booking a fly drive.

I think the best advice I can give is snag the good early bird deal for the hotel, tickets and dining and when flights are released (11 months out) get a quote from Disney and then see if you can get a better deal elsewhere. We always fly P.E. because we have some disabilities that make economy problematic, but the process is the same. You might save yourself a lot of money one way or the other depending on the price of flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdo View Post
I feel as though I am in a good position to help you here, as I am travelling to WDW in November 2013 on a flight inclusive package with Disney and have booked other trips, flights and hotel separately:

For my November 2013 trip, I booked the hotel/ticket element of my package very very early (May 2012). Ever since, I have been comparing prices both with WDW and other providers and found that by booking early I obtained the best discount possible and got free dining and a $200 gift card to boot. I was very happy with this and could not find a cheaper way.

Anyway, in December 2012 my direct flights were released. Disney allows you to upgrade to a package holiday when this happens with no amendment fee. Disney quoted me around £150 more per person for the direct flights than the cheapest provider (the airline themselves) could. This was where I could have saved myself a few quid. If I had chosen to fly indirectly (which I personally hate doing) I could have saved around £250 per person. As there are only 2 of us travelling, I decided to go for the convenience and security of having my booking all in one place.

To my dismay, I also later found out later one of the cashback sites offer cashback on holidays booked with WDW (around 3%) so that would have saved me even more!

The last time I booked my holiday separately was in June 2008. I booked this holiday really late (around 6 weeks prior to travel!) This time, I booked the hotel/tickets direct with Disney (they were the cheapest at the time) and managed to get flights to Sanford from Manchester (chartered) for £255 per person return! I never expect to get flights that cheap again!

Anyway, my point is, if you are clever with your booking (book early, use cashback site etc,) I think in terms of accommodation and tickets (assuming you want to stay on WDW, booking direct with them will always be your cheapest option. Flights on the other hand can vary in price so much. If you are prepared to fly indirect this is definitely the cheapest option (in my experience potentially to the tune of around £250 per person) or if you are also prepared to "DIY" this could result in further savings.

Personally, I would always book a flight inclusive package direct with WDW. I know it is more expensive, but it does give you peace of mind, such as full ATOL protection, as well as the ability to secure your holiday for only £300 (airlines want payment for flights upfront!)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope you get a deal with which you are happy!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of your advice guys And good to know that the flights won't be included that early, I was going to ask about that, but I've heard before that you can't book flights that early. I think we might book the package early then, because I'm set on staying at Disney property to save the parking fees at the parks. Now I just need to consider if getting the free dining is worth it or not... Can you add that at a later time as well?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
2Tiggies

Quote:
Now I just need to consider if getting the free dining is worth it or not... Can you add that at a later time as well?
No idea if you can add it later, but if you can, it would have to be added while the promotion of FD for those dates is still active. However I cannot see why you would not want the free dining. Unlike booking through the US where you pay 'rack rate' for your room if you get free dining, and usually have the option of a room discount if you don't, there is no benefit to not taking it when booking through Disney UK. You don't get a rebate or discount for forgoing the offer.

If you are not staying at a Disney hotel and are considering paying for your food out of pocket and getting a hotel for a cheaper rate, then you would need to do the math on the various scenarios as it can and does vary greatly from one family/party to the next.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Well, doing the maths quickly according to our eating paterns last time, it would be cheaper to stay at a value and not do the free dining. But, it is our honeymoon and I loved POFQ, so I think we might still do it. It was so nice being able to relax by the hot tub by the end of the night, so I don't want to miss out on that

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Thanks for all of your advice guys And good to know that the flights won't be included that early, I was going to ask about that, but I've heard before that you can't book flights that early. I think we might book the package early then, because I'm set on staying at Disney property to save the parking fees at the parks. Now I just need to consider if getting the free dining is worth it or not... Can you add that at a later time as well?
Why would free dining not be worth it? I don't understand...

For people in the US, free dining periods aren't always worth it because when they offer free dining, the room rates are high. In the UK, they pretty much offer free dining at any time (there are a few black out times) but the rates are fairly consistent.

If you book through Disney Travel Company, and buy tickets, you'll get the dining automatically I think. Perhaps you're questioning whether or not to upgrade your free dining? If so, IMHO, if they offer free quick service (which they have over the past few years for moderates) then I would seriously consider upgrading. We HATED the quick service plan for 2 reasons...

1. We like real food and eating fast food all the time was a drag
2. No character meals for our daughter

Hope that helps!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: