Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
holcomb-mania
DIS Veteran

Running during our summer CA trip

I want to add CA to my list of states that I've run in and get in a few 5-10mi runs. Any and all advice is welcome! Except for not running at all while there....

San Francicso: staying in Nob Hill area. Any parks nearby or streets ok?
Anaheim: staying at VGC. Is running in the area around DL advisable or too congested?
Yosemite: any trails or can I run on Northside and Southside Dr's safely?

Thanks!
holcomb-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holcomb-mania View Post
I want to add CA to my list of states that I've run in and get in a few 5-10mi runs. Any and all advice is welcome! Except for not running at all while there....

San Francicso: staying in Nob Hill area. Any parks nearby or streets ok?
Anaheim: staying at VGC. Is running in the area around DL advisable or too congested?
Yosemite: any trails or can I run on Northside and Southside Dr's safely?

Thanks!
Don't know about Anaheim. San Francisco is way too hilly around Nob Hill. you can do it, but all that going downhill is painful on the hips/knees. I'd recommend maybe driving to Fort Mason and going out on a run along the Marina Green and Presidio. The Crissy Field area is great with relatively flat and smooth dirt surface that's easier on the joints than pavement. It's really nice out there. You could probably run to Fort Point and back to Fort Mason, or pick a route for your desired length.

There are plenty of bicycle trails, and they're actually open to anyone. The biggest issue is that there can be lots of people, including some with heavy packs. If you really want something challenging, why not an a real trail like Upper Yosemite Fall Trail or the Mist Trail?
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

Most hotels will have pre mapped routes for guests, but for a longer (10 miler) or so, head downhill on California St. to the Embarcadero and run along there to Fisherman's Wharf. Not too hard to find your way to Van Ness, then back on California St. back to Nob Hill. Remember, in running, hills are your friend.

Do a couple miles for me while you're at it.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
rms123
Mouseketeer

In SF there are some nice paths through golden gate park and along ocean beach. I've connected the two before but it may have been a longer run - it was some time ago.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
holcomb-mania
DIS Veteran

Thanks, guys. Any running will be in addition to hiking, I'm just not sure how strenuous a hike I can talk my wife and kids into doing.

The Presidio and across the GGB to the park sounds interesting.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
lizziegirl450
Earning My Ears

For Anaheim, I don't know how congested it'd be (probably fine), but I recommend not straying too far from the resort area. Anaheim can be a super sketchy and dangerous city, so be constantly aware of your surroundings.
My dad and I were driving between the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Anaheim train station (a couple of miles away) and I saw several gang bangers, and a raid going down at a motel all on the same street. Maybe running towards the north would be better.
Have a great vacation! (:
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
holcomb-mania
DIS Veteran

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I don't really like city-running anyway with all the starting and stopping. Looks like it may be the treadmill in Anaheim.

As for Yosemite, it recently dawned on me that the altitude may be a huge obstacle. We live at an elevation of around 1,000ft, while Yosemite Valley is at 4,000ft and the hikes I really wanna do are around 8,000-9,500ft. Should be a blast!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: