Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
katpalen
Earning My Ears

Nikon D5100 or Canon T3???

Quick question. I have an old Nikon D40-wanting to get something a little "newer" before our cruise next week. Found a really good deal on the Canon online, but already have the Nikon lenses. Can get a Nikon body for about $100 more than the Canon with the kit lens. I am a casual photographer- just take kid and vacation pics. Would you go with the Canon kit or the more expensive Nikon body? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

The Nikon D5100 at $550 with kit lens or $450 body only is a very good deal.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran

I think the T3 is the most basic DSLr in Canon's lineup, the equivalent of the D3100. Now a T3i may be closer to a D5100, but I don't think its sensor can quite match the D7000 sensor that is in the D5100 at high ISO.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
havoc315
DIS Veteran

As stated, the Nikon may be the better camera. But even putting that aside, you need to factor lenses into the price. If you're already invested in lenses, then changing systems usually doesn't make sense.
havoc315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
hakepb
DIS Veteran

While the smapsort comparisons are useless in making a final determination about cameras, they are interesting and may bring up a spec that is more important to you:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon-D5100
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
As stated, the Nikon may be the better camera. But even putting that aside, you need to factor lenses into the price. If you're already invested in lenses, then changing systems usually doesn't make sense.
I agree if you have the lenses just stick in Nikon. They are both quality cameras I really don't think you will dislike either.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpalen View Post
Quick question. I have an old Nikon D40-wanting to get something a little "newer" before our cruise next week. Found a really good deal on the Canon online, but already have the Nikon lenses. Can get a Nikon body for about $100 more than the Canon with the kit lens. I am a casual photographer- just take kid and vacation pics. Would you go with the Canon kit or the more expensive Nikon body? Thanks for any help!
Canon T3 or T3i? There is a difference. The T3 is bare bones but the T3i uses a nearly identical sensor to Canon's 7D. If it's the T3, I'd go with the Nikon D5100. It's got a little more muscle to it. If it's the T3i I'd have to really weigh the investment already made in Nikon lenses. You will loose money in the switch, but if you really want to change lines it's better to do it when you only have a few entry level lenses and not a lot of high end glass.

A lot of this comes down to which camera you're more comfortable using as well. Which line feels better in your hands? Are you already really comfortable using your Nikon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I agree if you have the lenses just stick in Nikon. They are both quality cameras I really don't think you will dislike either.
I'm going to disagree here. Only because when you come back to what's comfortable in your hands some cameras just work better for some people than others. I don't like Nikons because they feel awkward in my hands. It's personal, but a person can totally dislike a camera based on that. Which is why it's so important I think to go play with them in the store. They're all good cameras, but that doesn't mean they're all the right fit for someone.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
katpalen
Earning My Ears

Thanks for everyone's input. Ordered the 5100 body today !
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpalen
Thanks for everyone's input. Ordered the 5100 body today !
For what it's worth, I purchased a D5100 and kit lens last year and I love it. I can't wait to take it to WDW!

Happy shooting!
lhermiston is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: