Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
countryblonde314
Disney Princess

Be Our Guest Issues

On my recent trip to Disney World, my family and I decided to eat Be Our Guest for lunch. I can not walk the parks or stand for a period of time due to my knee condition, so while waiting in line I stayed in my scooter. When we got up to the front of the line to enter we saw a wheelchair off to the side, it wasn't anyones just there if someone needed it. I asked the gentleman working at the front of the line if I need to transfer or even have my mother bring the scooter outside while we ate. The castermember said that I could take the scooter and just put it out of the way once at the table. After ordering and going to the table near the back wall I placed it along the back wall so that it would be out of the way so they could bring the carts out with peoples food. Another castmember approached me to tell me that I need to move the scooter that they were not allowed in the building I should've walked in. After explaining that I couldn't and was told that I was told it was ok to park it out of the way, she seemed to get rude and explain its not ok to bring them into the dining area under any situation. I simply moved it by the wall near the bathroom after that. I was wondering if anyone might have had issues at Be Our Guest with this, you would think some people would be understanding.

countryblonde314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Nanajo1
DIS Veteran

I have often taken my ECV into a restaurant. I can not walk. I am interested in other ECV users experiences at BOG.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Offsite 5/78,CR 11/85,BWV 3/99,OKW 11/99, BWV 3/01,OKW 11/01, BWV 3/02, BWV 1/03, OKW 11/03, BWV 2/04, BWV 11/04, BWV 2/05, OKW 11/05, BWV 2/06, AKL 11/06, BWV 11/06, BWV 02/07,OKW 11/07, BWV 02/08, BWV 11/08, BWV 02/09, BWV 11/09,VWL 01/10,OKW 02/10,BWV 11/10, AKV 11/10,BLT 03/11,OKW 03/11,BWV 11/11,AKL 02/12,BWV 03/12, BWV 11/12,OKW 02/13,AKL 03/13, BWV 11/13,OKW 11/13, OKW 02/14,AKLK 03/14, OKW 10/14,BWV 10/14
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/1l5laeked1k6rb
Nanajo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I've encountered similar issues at other buildings, where all the CM's aren't on the same page about what's allowed in the building and what isn't. Of course there are exceptions based on different people's physical limitations and whether or not they have someone with them who can assist, but it seems to me like the majority of us can probably cope if we all just know in advance what policy is and if it's consistently applied by every single CM.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I could write a book about our visit to Be our Guest. We were there at the end of May so I figured all of the issues we had were because they were still new. My wife and I both had scooters the only table we could find had a tray of dirty dishes on it but it was along the wall so there was plenty of room to put our scooters out of the way. A very unpleasant guy named Ryan told us in a very rude condescending way that we couldn't sit there because of the dirty dishes. (It was a single tray the table was clean it looked like someone at the next table put the tray there to get it out of the way). We moved and had a hard time finding a table anywhere that we could put the scooters when we did find a table we left the scooters at the end of the row we were told we had to move them I am not able to walk far so my wife had to move both of them and get them after we ate. I complained to guest services and was told it shouldn't have happened and wouldn't happen again so mush for guest services. Ryan the rude one was supposedly in training

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
GranJan
Mouseketeer

I Just Want To Stay Out Of The Way

I use a scooter & I'm unable to walk. I always feel like I'm in the way bringing my scooter into a restaurant. My husband always parks it outside. I think the policy should be that if you're able to walk, you should park it outside. If you can't walk & have someone with you then let them park it outside after you're seated. If neither of these options is possible then you should be allowed to bring it inside or they should provide a wheelchair & take you inside. I'm always baffled at how many CMs just assume that you can just hop off your scooter & walk unassisted. I guess they see so many that can they just assume that's the case for everyone. If I could do that I wouldn't be riding a scooter. I can do short distances with a walker & ordered a contraption for my scooter to hold a walker. It was just a bunch of long straps with Velcro...totally useless. I've seen one that's metal but its pretty costly & looks like it would just be in the way in crowded spaces having a walker attached to the back of your scooter. My scooter is very small but I still wish there was a way to avoid bringing it into restaurants & bathrooms regardless of what the policy is. I'd feel even worse if I was using one of those huge park rentals. I just like to stay out the way. I understand your frustration of being told conflicting things by different CMs though. Even if scooters weren't allowed they shouldn't be rude. I do think they should only be brought in if absolutely necessary though.
GranJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

We went to BOG for dinner last March and had no problems whatsoever. I was told when we checked in that I could ride my scooter inside but then would have to move it out of the way but when we went inside our table ended up being in a location that our server said I could keep my scooter with me if I wanted. So, I had a choice of remaining on my scooter or transferring to a chair and having my husband ride it to a location out of the way and coming back.

Most restaurants I've been to at Disney are too small to keep the scooter inside. They usually tell you that you can ride it in but that it will have to be moved once you're inside. Most of the time the server offers to move it for me and bring back my key. Sometimes my husband moves it for me and walks back to the table.

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
GadgetTheInventor
Mouseketeer

I have been there twice: once for lunch and the second time for dinner.

We kept the scooter with us both times without trouble. We were near the front of the line during lunch and were able to choose a table with plenty of room to keep the scooter at the table and for dinner we waited until a seat was available that offered plenty of room. We clearly stated both times that we were basically using the scooter as a wheelchair, which is allowed by the ADA since it meets the size regulations.

I think it would help in crowded restaurant situations if scooter users looked at the big picture when deciding whether to take their scooters inside. Scooter use has increased exponentially in recent years and there just isn't enough room to accommodate all the scooters inside. The question everyone should ask is "If there was an emergency evacuation of the facility, would you die if you didn't have your scooter to help get you out?" Most people would not need their scooter in this situation and should take the extra time to have someone in their party park the vehicle outside even if it is a little more inconvenient.
GadgetTheInventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
countryblonde314
Disney Princess

We normally eat at Columbia Habor House which they have a section roped off just for handicap which never seems to have any conflict. I think that all counter service places should have this because it makes it so easier for us and our families.

countryblonde314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: