Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #46
bethwc101
Mouseketeer

I don't mind strollers as long as long as the people pushing them are considerate. I understand the hassle. What i do not appreciate are the giant two seaters that people try to push through little places. Last time we were walking and it was way crowded (right after Fantasmic) and this lady kept bumping into me with her double stroller. After the third time by the same lady I turned and said excuse me you are bumping into me. She replied by then walk faster. That was impossible, trust me if I could have gotten away from her I would have. Or when you have your family sitting down for a parade on the sidewalk and somebody decides to park one of those double strollers right in front of us, and doesn't even collapse it. Yes you have a bigger stroller but that only means you should be more aware and considerate.
bethwc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #47
bcla
DIS Veteran

I'd like to think that my fellow human being is kind, considerate, and thoughtful. I always approach someone I don't know with those sentiments. However, experience tells me that some people can be self-absorbed, rude, obnoxious, or even criminal. Nothing surprises me. Someone accidentally bumping a stroller or shopping cart into someone else can elicit a sharply worded response that itself can be uncalled for. Someone intentionally shoving a wheeled vehicle into another person enough to cause injury wouldn't surprise me. Some people are just this way.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamama View Post
I'm just having a hard time imagining a) how hard I would have to bump someone and b) what kind of stroller I would have to be using to cause someone to bleed. That's why this sounded highly unusual to me.
Well, it's happened to me twice. I was wearing tennis shoes with capris so I had on short socks so my ankles were exposed above my shoes, the lady kept hitting me and it stung, she was hitting me with the plastic runner thing at the bottom of the stroller, when I got to a place I could see I had numerous small cuts on my ankles, I went to Target and got Neosporin and bandaids, and that's why they are packed each trip. That was when we were leaving after fireworks and so was everyone else, I couldn't walk faster, I couldn't really get out of the way, I told DBF she kept hitting me and he put me in front of him (we were walking single file with the kids between us) and suddenly it stopped. There was another time I was walking in a straight line, someone pushing a stroller came from the other side and rammed right into me, she seriously came from nowhere and I couldn't stop, but she could see me. That resulted in a nasty bruise and another cut and quite honestly she made me fall into her stroller, I was happy there was no child in the stroller, she then tried to tell me it was my fault. She was coming from around the corner by the wishing well and we were walking into the Heraldry shop, I guess we were probably walking in a slight diagonal angle but she really just popped out and rammed right into me. That time the cut was actually on my arm because I hit something sharp as I landed, iirc it was a toy of some kind, nothing serious but I bled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandMmommy View Post
This is Disneyland we are talking about. This is a place designed for children's joy! I'm sure no one has ever deliberately attacked someone else with a stroller. Accidents happen! People ( with and without strollers) need to take 2 extra seconds to look around them. Be respectful of others and their space as much as you can with thousands of people elbow to elbow. There are going to be people ( like me) in the park with small children and a stroller is a must.
If you bump, say " I'm sorry" and like wise for people who stop dead in front of you without warning.

Now Jack, is this a true story or do I sense sarcasm in your post? I really can't tell...
Jack can be sarcastic when warranted but I remember that story well and I believe it was true based on my own experiences.
DLR isn't just for families, or kids, it's also for adults. I don't mind strollers at all (although I never used one at DLR) but I do mind when I'm run into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandMmommy View Post
Really? You are certain she she would have attacked her? So did she ram her with her shopping cart instead?

And I have 2 kids, and if I'm ever solo in the grocery store, I always let a mom with kids go in front. It's common courtesy.
And I'm really confused by how a child being raised in a prison contributed to OP's repeated ramming by a stroller?
I have been at the store numerous times with my kids, with no other person, just me and the girls and no one ever let me go in front. That's a common courtesy that I've never heard of. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwc101 View Post
I don't mind strollers as long as long as the people pushing them are considerate. I understand the hassle. What i do not appreciate are the giant two seaters that people try to push through little places. Last time we were walking and it was way crowded (right after Fantasmic) and this lady kept bumping into me with her double stroller. After the third time by the same lady I turned and said excuse me you are bumping into me. She replied by then walk faster. That was impossible, trust me if I could have gotten away from her I would have. Or when you have your family sitting down for a parade on the sidewalk and somebody decides to park one of those double strollers right in front of us, and doesn't even collapse it. Yes you have a bigger stroller but that only means you should be more aware and considerate.
Walk faster, when no one ahead of you can walk faster? LOL Ya, that's always doable. LOL

I'm glad I never did the parks with a stroller, DD13 was 6 our first trip, she refused to use a stroller and walked from 8-midnight with no problems.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Wow, this thread is definitely a .

If you don't like strollers, then don't go to an amusement park. Or don't ever leave the house because you might run across one at the grocery store, at the park, or even on a walk in your neighborhood.

Disneyland IS for children. But as we all know, children come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them are disguised as rude adults who never learned common courtesy. These are the same Children-Disguised-As-Adults who can be seen cutting in line, talking on their cell phones in a movie theater, or generally being total snots. These are also the same adults who cut you off on the freeway, flip you the middle finger on the road, and the same category of adults who don't leave a decent tip to their server at a restaurant. Many of them never learned how to behave in the real world because they were raised in a barn.

If you don't want to encounter a person under 18 at all at Disneyland, then you should probably just not go at all. Same thing for any of the Disneyworld parks.

If you are a super hero and can carry your 50-pound child all day and for miles on your back/shoulders/whatever, then that's great that you found something that works for you. Other people have to use strollers. Most stroller users are kind, courteous, and polite.

Accusing another poster here of flat out lying also doesn't seem to serve much purpose. If you think that somebody is lying, then report it to the moderators. Otherwise, it is more of this --> , which I have now also contributed to.

Sheesh, there isn't much Disney magic here today. Maybe the cold weather is getting to all of us. Time to plan another trip to the happiest place on earth because nobody seems to be on today, including me!
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #50
CandMmommy
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama

If you don't like strollers, then don't go to an amusement park. Or don't ever leave the house because you might run across one at the grocery store, at the park, or even on a walk in your neighborhood.

Disneyland IS for children. But as we all know, children come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them are disguised as rude adults who never learned common courtesy. These are the same Children-Disguised-As-Adults who can be seen cutting in line, talking on their cell phones in a movie theater, or generally being total snots. These are also the same adults who cut you off on the freeway, flip you the middle finger on the road, and the same category of adults who don't leave a decent tip to their server at a restaurant. Many of them never learned how to behave in the real world because they were raised in a barn.

If you don't want to encounter a person under 18 at all at Disneyland, then you should probably just not go at all. Same thing for any of the Disneyworld parks.

If you are a super hero and can carry your 50-pound child all day and for miles on your back/shoulders/whatever, then that's great that you found something that works for you. Other people have to use strollers. Most stroller users are kind, courteous, and polite.

Accusing another poster here of flat out lying also doesn't seem to serve much purpose. If you think that somebody is lying, then report it to the moderators. Otherwise, it is more of this --> , which I have now also contributed to.

Sheesh, there isn't much Disney magic here today. Maybe the cold weather is getting to all of us. Time to plan another trip to the happiest place on earth because nobody seems to be on today, including me!
I agree with this.

I hope you weren't thinking I was accusing Jack of lying, I took some of his posts as total sarcasm. After more of his posts I realized he was telling of 3 or 4 horrible events that actually happened.
CandMmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #51
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer

Wow....and I was just venting about my sore heels!
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
Aspoonfullofsugar
Mouseketeer

I was also at Disneyland over the weekend. I managed to get a humongous blister on my heel. My DH covered it with multiple overlapped band aids, I slapped on my flip flops and we returned to the park. We did have to stop when we ran into that congestion in Adventureland around Indiana Jones but it was very obvious that everyone was stopped. I was whacked and whacked really hard from behind on the heel by a woman with a stroller who didn't want to stop. I almost jumped through the roof. It hurt really badly. No apology from the woman. She swerved around and left.

We also had a time when my DD was about 12 and we were at the end of the line for a ride. A woman hit her just right in the back of her leg with a stroller so my daughter collapsed into the stroller right on top of the baby. Then she tried to yell at my daughter who was simply standing in line. A CM took the woman away.

That being said, I think 95% of the people in the park are simply trying to get around as carefully and safely as possible whether they have strollers or not. It's that 5% that care only about themselves that stand out.
Aspoonfullofsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #53
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBiskit
No....not really. I remember the days when I used one. (DS is 20 now)

But I was at the park this past weekend and on Saturday I was hit in back of my heels not once, not twice, not three times, but FIVE!!!

I had to keep telling myself..."The park is crowded. The park is crowded". However, it was the last time I was hit that really got to me.

So.... for those of you who do have strollers....I beg you! Please!!! Don't let your child who can barely see over the handlebars push the darn thing!!

Thanks....I'm done whining now!
Hey, just be grateful that DL got rid of the rentals that had the metal grate things (like shopping carts have) on the bottom. When they had those, I ALWAYS came home with bloody ankles, as I prefer sandals of some sort in the parks.

That being said, when a stroller does hit the back of my legs now, I will usually turn around and say something loudly, but politely. This usually has the effect of not only getting them to be more cautious but reminding others near by to be aware of their surroundings as well.

Then there's the time when I was at rope drop to get tickets for Candlelight when it was in the Fantasyland theater (so a long time ago) and a person on an ECV ran over my foot. It was her own personal ECV, so she must have known how to drive it. Luckily I was wearing tennis shows that day, but by the time I limped over to the theater the tickets were gone. Luckily someone later in the day heard what happened and had an extra ticket, but I mean that was absolutely uncalled for. Of course many people do cut in front of ECVs and strollers, which can't stop on a dime, then wonder why they got hit. In my case, I was in the same spot (in front of her) a good 5 minutes before she even got there. My point is there a rude people on any side of these things and we all need to be better aware of our surroundings.

Last edited by cmwade77; 02-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #54
bsbspaz
Earning My Ears

The problem isn't strollers, it's rude people. I love Disneyland, but people can be really rude. I had a lady with a stroller walking behind me through a narrow area in a store, and she bumped me with her stroller 3 times and never apologized. I've seen people pushing strollers who are looking off to the side while walking forward. I've seen stroller-less people doing that too, it's just a little scarier to me when there's a stroller involved. Really, everyone should be more aware, it's just when you're pushing a stroller or a wheelchair, you need to be extra aware/courteous/careful!
bsbspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
SilentFeline
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandVsmama View Post

The OP never said that they hated being around people that are under 18 at DL, they simply stated that they don't like it when parents allow their children to push strollers when they aren't tall enough to see over the top. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. It would be even worse to be bumped purposely, as so many have shared on this thread. I'm shocked by all of the stories. I guess I'm pretty lucky since I've never been bumped or bashed by a stroller. At least not yet...
SilentFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #56
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFeline View Post
The OP never said that they hated being around people that are under 18 at DL, they simply stated that they don't like it when parents allow their children to push strollers when they aren't tall enough to see over the top. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. It would be even worse to be bumped purposely, as so many have shared on this thread. I'm shocked by all of the stories. I guess I'm pretty lucky since I've never been bumped or bashed by a stroller. At least not yet...
Well - I've actually let my kid push around a stroller. My kid gets out of the stroller and insists on doing it. Even pushes away my hands from the stroller to indicate who's driving. It's actually rather cute and I've got pictures to prove it. We've got a toy shopping cart a home, and that's probably where this was learned.

I wouldn't allow it to happen where there are people in the potential path of the stroller. This has always happened where nobody was in the path of the stroller although once it was when someone was behind the stroller.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #57
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFeline View Post
I was responding to the other posters to this thread, not the OP.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #58
SilentFeline
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Well - I've actually let my kid push around a stroller. My kid gets out of the stroller and insists on doing it. Even pushes away my hands from the stroller to indicate who's driving. It's actually rather cute and I've got pictures to prove it. We've got a toy shopping cart a home, and that's probably where this was learned.

I wouldn't allow it to happen where there are people in the potential path of the stroller. This has always happened where nobody was in the path of the stroller although once it was when someone was behind the stroller.
Well, it sounds like you're being mindful of others, so !

Quote:
I was responding to the other posters to this thread, not the OP.
Sorry, my mistake.
SilentFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #59
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:

According to what I bolded I shouldn't go to DLR because I'm not a child. LOL Sorry, but I disagree. I never said I hated strollers, I never said I carried my child anywhere, we suggested a stroller, DD said NO and she chose to walk because those were the terms we gave her. We said "no stroller, fine, but we aren't carrying you." and we didn't, I did however offer to rent a stroller for her multiple times, every time she said "no thanks, I don't need it".
This thread wasn't directed towards the nice stroller users, the OP was venting about being rammed into, a few of us (myself included) chimed in with our own personal experiences about being rammed into. We were letting the OP she wasn't alone and it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post

To clarify, you are a nice stroller user. LOL Mine used to do that as well and like you I always let them if there was no one else around.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #60
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
According to what I bolded I shouldn't go to DLR because I'm not a child.
I think the PP was referring to the kid in all of us that loves DL, not that DL is only for people that are under 18 years of age.

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: