Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyBiskit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 405

I hate stollers!

No....not really. I remember the days when I used one. (DS is 20 now)

But I was at the park this past weekend and on Saturday I was hit in back of my heels not once, not twice, not three times, but FIVE!!!

I had to keep telling myself..."The park is crowded. The park is crowded". However, it was the last time I was hit that really got to me.

So.... for those of you who do have strollers....I beg you! Please!!! Don't let your child who can barely see over the handlebars push the darn thing!!

Thanks....I'm done whining now!
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Ljbadfan
table #71
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 220

I agree with you. I hate being ran over by a stroller also. Sometimes I wanna tell people where they can stick their strollers, but I don't with too many kids running around
__________________
Ljbadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
kangamama
Mouseketeer
 
kangamama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 379

Yeeesh -- it's Disneyland! There are going to be strollers and there are going to be kids! If someone is running you down with a stroller, there's no harm in pointing it out to the person pushing the stroller and asking if they could be more careful. I think most of us who push strollers through the parks do tend to be very careful -- I know I always try to respect other people's personal space.
kangamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom
 
Carolynleanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamama View Post
Yeeesh -- it's Disneyland! There are going to be strollers and there are going to be kids! If someone is running you down with a stroller, there's no harm in pointing it out to the person pushing the stroller and asking if they could be more careful. I think most of us who push strollers through the parks do tend to be very careful -- I know I always try to respect other people's personal space.
Amen! And on that note... It's also frustrating when people constantly cross in front of your stroller when you are trying to avoid bumping into anyone haha.
__________________
Carolyn Leanne

Next trip: December 2015
May 2014 Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
January 2010 - DisneyWorld
March 2007 - Disneyland
September 2004 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland
September 1997 - Disneyland
October 1992 - Disneyland
-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

http://www.momentsinmommyland.com/
Carolynleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Geemo
DIS Veteran
 
Geemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: pacific nw
Posts: 1,654

I've had both strollers and scooters come from behind and get me even when the parks aren't crowded.

I'd rather be nicked by a stroller than one of the motorized scooters zipping around. Those things hurt!!!

Geemo
__________________
Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place
 
Rubygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,407

And how about kids holding balloons while riding in strollers? Ballons are lovely, but not so lovely when they're wapping you in the face as a stroller rushes past you.

Hoping to do a stroller free trip this summer with DD6 and DS3.5. Will bring one for the airport, but hoping not to need it much in the parks.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
MouseMadness
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBiskit View Post
No....not really. I remember the days when I used one. (DS is 20 now)

But I was at the park this past weekend and on Saturday I was hit in back of my heels not once, not twice, not three times, but FIVE!!!

I had to keep telling myself..."The park is crowded. The park is crowded". However, it was the last time I was hit that really got to me.

So.... for those of you who do have strollers....I beg you! Please!!! Don't let your child who can barely see over the handlebars push the darn thing!!

Thanks....I'm done whining now!
I think *maybe* the OP was talking about the smaller people pushing the strollers that can actually fit in the stroller? If so, I agree. A crowded theme park probably isn't the best place to let the little ones push the stroller around...some of those 2 and 3 year olds can be pretty erratic drivers
__________________
Monica

DH Myself DS8 DD5


MouseMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
tdhickey
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 518

I have brought a stroller every time and I can totally sympathize with you, here are a few of my personal experiences as to why this happens...

1) People cut off strollers quite often, usually we are trying to go to an open space.

2) If we don't "drive" in an assertive manner in crowds, we won't get anywhere as people won't leave any space at all.

3) People stop frequently in front of strollers (and people without strollers equally). I hate this a lot, if you are going to stop mid stride please do it off to the side, otherwise people may bump into you.

That being said if we are not being cut off, nor stopped in front of, we owe everyone the courtesy of not running them over or bumping into them with our monster strollers. Anyone who willfully lets a little kid drive one of those in a crowded park needs to smarten up.

However, if you are a frequent stopper in the middle of the streets...well lets just say it's not just the strollers who have an issue
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
larina
DIS Veteran
 
larina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubygoose
And how about kids holding balloons while riding in strollers? Ballons are lovely, but not so lovely when they're wapping you in the face as a stroller rushes past you.

Hoping to do a stroller free trip this summer with DD6 and DS3.5. Will bring one for the airport, but hoping not to need it much in the parks.
At 3 1/2 you might to bring the stroller, just in case. My 9 year old asked yesterday if we could bring a stroller for her, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey
I have brought a stroller every time and I can totally sympathize with you, here are a few of my personal experiences as to why this happens...

1) People cut off strollers quite often, usually we are trying to go to an open space.

2) If we don't "drive" in an assertive manner in crowds, we won't get anywhere as people won't leave any space at all.

3) People stop frequently in front of strollers (and people without strollers equally). I hate this a lot, if you are going to stop mid stride please do it off to the side, otherwise people may bump into you.

That being said if we are not being cut off, nor stopped in front of, we owe everyone the courtesy of not running them over or bumping into them with our monster strollers. Anyone who willfully lets a little kid drive one of those in a crowded park needs to smarten up.

However, if you are a frequent stopper in the middle of the streets...well lets just say it's not just the strollers who have an issue
Yes yes yes. And those frequent stoppers who then turn to give you a dirty look, what is that about. Thousands of people are walking down Main Street and you are going to dead stop in front of me with no warning? I'm a fast mover, I'm likely to run you over whether I have a stroller or not. Not on purpose, not to be mean, but because I'm in motion. You. Know what they say about a body in motion...
__________________
~Life's just better when you're planning a trip!~
DL(/CA): Spring '79 Summer '86 May '93 Christmas '98 - offsite May '11 - PPH Christmas '11 - PPH June '13 - offsite Christmas '13 - DLH
Now planning September '14 - off-site and Christmas 2015 at PPH
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...
 
Jaina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMadness View Post
A crowded theme park probably isn't the best place to let the little ones push the stroller around...some of those 2 and 3 year olds can be pretty erratic drivers
The 5- and 6-year-olds also aren't very good at steering, even if they're taller. I know, as I have both of those! This will be my first time going to the park with a stroller (or kids) so I hope I don't accidentally run over anyone!!
__________________

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
squirrel
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Posts: 10,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post
I have brought a stroller every time and I can totally sympathize with you, here are a few of my personal experiences as to why this happens...

1) People cut off strollers quite often, usually we are trying to go to an open space.

2) If we don't "drive" in an assertive manner in crowds, we won't get anywhere as people won't leave any space at all.

3) People stop frequently in front of strollers (and people without strollers equally). I hate this a lot, if you are going to stop mid stride please do it off to the side, otherwise people may bump into you.

That being said if we are not being cut off, nor stopped in front of, we owe everyone the courtesy of not running them over or bumping into them with our monster strollers. Anyone who willfully lets a little kid drive one of those in a crowded park needs to smarten up.

However, if you are a frequent stopper in the middle of the streets...well lets just say it's not just the strollers who have an issue
Love this and totally agree! I've had people walk right in front of the stroller cutting me off! Sorry but it's much harder to stop when you are pushing a stroller.

So far I haven't been hit by a stroller! I don't cut in front, don't stop suddenly and avoid children pushing strollers.
__________________
All Star Movies September 1999
PO + DCL November+December 2000
DLR (BWPPI) September 2007
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyBiskit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 405

Let me be clear. I normally have no problem with strollers at all. And I understand getting nicked or bumped every once in awhile. It happens. However, it is unusual to get hit 5 times in one day. I was just being sarcastic when I originally posted.
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer
 
SGDisneyFam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post
I have brought a stroller every time and I can totally sympathize with you, here are a few of my personal experiences as to why this happens...

1) People cut off strollers quite often, usually we are trying to go to an open space.

2) If we don't "drive" in an assertive manner in crowds, we won't get anywhere as people won't leave any space at all.

3) People stop frequently in front of strollers (and people without strollers equally). I hate this a lot, if you are going to stop mid stride please do it off to the side, otherwise people may bump into you.

That being said if we are not being cut off, nor stopped in front of, we owe everyone the courtesy of not running them over or bumping into them with our monster strollers. Anyone who willfully lets a little kid drive one of those in a crowded park needs to smarten up.

However, if you are a frequent stopper in the middle of the streets...well lets just say it's not just the strollers who have an issue
Agree 100 Percent.


Also like to add

The times i've accidentally bumped someone with the stroller it is usually because they couldn't be bothered to get their nose out of their damn smartphone, and unknowingly stepped into an open space that I was headed to. SHOULDER CHECK PEOPLE !!! it's not just for driving a car.
__________________
-Brian & Tanya




SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,450

Stroller Nazi's, my favorite subject. Over the last few years we have hadto take at least one child to ER for stitches. These people don't care, they only see where they want to go and will get there no matter what and as quickly as possible. One family was not so sorry, the hit was intentional to get my daughter to move fast...in the end security removed the family from the park. They did not know when to shut up.
Hopefully this year without the kids along my wife or I wont get bashed....

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
aristocat65
DIS Veteran
 
aristocat65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 851

Ok with my flame suit on, I'll admit that I too, am a stroller hater. We never took our our son to Disneyland until he was 5, so I never used one there myself. The strollers these days are so large too, with their drink holders, etc, more like a baby bus than a stroller. It can be very hard to get around these at times.

It is interesting that when you see old photos or movies of Disneyland,or even photos from my childhood visits, there are almost no strollers in sight.
__________________
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.