Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

I saw a huge snake at pofq and that didnt bother me nearly as much as the alligator we saw sunning itself by a pond while on a bus leaving ak. Huge! But super cool.
Ugh i hate snakes.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

We went on a family trip to Mexico last April. The day we left, while we were waiting to leave for the airport, I was hanging out on the balcony to my brother's room and we spent about 15 minutes watching an alligator swim around in the pond right behind the hotel.

Thank God I didn't see it until the last day otherwise I doubt I would have left the room all week. On retrospect that may not have been a bad thing. I got a horrible sun burn that week.

Word to the wise people...never go to a tropical locale when you are on a photosensitive antibiotic combined with fair skin and freckles.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
mmmagic7754
Mouseketeer

Had a gator in the lagoon at Beach club villas near the pool and parking lot recently. Was there every day for our 7 day trip.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

WDW is in the middle of a huge swamp. Of course there are snakes and gators all over the place. There is a reason why they employ as many Animal Control officers as they do. I was told by a CM at POR, as we watched one juvenile gator in the River, that they monitor the gators and remove them if they are too close to guest areas and/or have reached a certain size. I've seen them on several occasions in the River at MK. Maybe that's one of the reasons that they stopped the canoe rides.

Snakes are ubiquitous. We've seen them at just about every resort we've ever stayed at. Keep your distance and you'll be fine.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Sammie
DIS Veteran

The snake we saw was near the edge of the lagoon on the far side of Sago Cay.

The gator was small and saw it when coming back from the Spa, guess he had been using the gym

We seem to attract them for some reason, and have seen numerous ones over the years at different locations.

Never felt bothered by it at all. It is Florida and every body of water has the potential for a gator.

Last edited by Sammie; 02-14-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

We did see a gator in the water last year while waiting at the boat dock at the GF. Have not seen a snake.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
deserrai
DIS Veteran

It is Florida...there are snakes.

It is Florida and there is water around...there are Gators.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
WDW is in the middle of a huge swamp. Of course there are snakes and gators all over the place. There is a reason why they employ as many Animal Control officers as they do. I was told by a CM at POR, as we watched one juvenile gator in the River, that they monitor the gators and remove them if they are too close to guest areas and/or have reached a certain size. I've seen them on several occasions in the River at MK. Maybe that's one of the reasons that they stopped the canoe rides.

Snakes are ubiquitous. We've seen them at just about every resort we've ever stayed at. Keep your distance and you'll be fine.

[I]sticks finger in ears and sticks tongue out[I] I can't hear you!!!!
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #24
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

While at the WL. Our usual resort.... We head on down to the rental boat pier to catch the EWP and the CM was there docking some of the power boats and while talking to him, he said watch this..... and scanned the far bank with his boat light and said all those eyes reflecting are......gators, Got our attention, being a hunter, fisherman and trapper from the north I could see what he meant .... Beware the swamps!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
cindym
Mouseketeer

Back when SOG was The Disney Inn we saw a large gator laying on the sidewalk by the golf course. We had planned to walk from the Inn to the Poly but decided we would ride the bus from then on!! I have also seen alot of snakes. I even chased one out of SAB.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
GS for life
Mouseketeer

We saw several alligators on the boat from Wilderness Lodge to MK. Our family has fun looking for wild life. So far, we have seen lizards, alligators, snakes, deer, rabbits (both in MK and Epcot!) but the best we're the turkeys underneath the monorail tracks.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC21 View Post
I heard there was a gator in the magic kingdo a few years back where Tom Sayers is also near pop in the lake. But I did find a cockroach in the shower at pop also
Yes there was, it was a small one and he was hanging out under the walkway and people were trying to feed him. But that was about 2-3 years ago. Once a gator gets a certain length Disney moves them off property.
We have lived in Florida for a long while and here is a simple rule, if its a body of water then there is a 99% chance a gator is in it.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #28
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

As a FL resident I am saying there are no snakes and gators in FL.

That is what I am convincing myself so I don't have to move... Lol
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

While my mom and I were taking the monorail to Magic Kingdom from the Poly one morning we saw a cottonmouth moccasin slither across one of the grounds at the GF. I thought it was a stick.

Last edited by Princess Katherine; 04-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

I have seen alligators and snakes at wdw and that is saying something since I am legally blind. We arrived and was walking from shades of green to ressies at grand f when we saw the first one, right in the waters going towards the poly from shades of green, so if there I will assume they are at the grand also since you can walk to it from shades of green. Two days later just a little further from the first one we saw, closer to the poly we saw another one. That night we saw two snakes walking back to shades from the poly, again very close to grand f so snakes would be there also. On our second to last day we saw another alligator again on shades of green property. For anyone who does not know where shades of green is it is across the street from poly, between two golf courses. We also saw a snake in Hollywood studios, I was walking with dd out of the bathroom near rocking roller coaster when two women started screaming, the cast members came running, my dd told me not to move, I guess I was inches from stepping on a snake, the janitor came by in like 15 seconds, scooped it up with a broom and a dustpan and away the snake went. I did here a CM state that it will go behind the seens where it can kept the mice in check. I know in Disneyland there is a mice problem, as a matter of fact, it has been told that there are more than 100 cats running free in Disneyland to keep the mice in check. I know my service dog has found a number of those cats. I am glad my service dog was taking a water break with my ex husband when we ran into the snake, I think it would have spooked him more than me.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: