Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #106
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer

Are you suggesting that just because they are infertile they have a special responsibility and ability to raise troubled teens and children with severe special needs?
I doubt it but neither does a fertile couple or individual that would like to have a family without going thru pregnancy.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #107
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
Ever source I can find suggests that it's virtually impossible to adopt a healthy infant from foster care. This is sums it up pretty well though:


http://voices.yahoo.com/adopting-chi...89.html?cat=25
My neighbors just did. They got a healthy, happy 1 week old caucasian baby a few months ago.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #108
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Yes as in not a healthy infant. An infertile couple could adopt an infant, healthy or otherwise. They also have the choice of adopting a child, healthy or otherwise. A fertile couple has the same choices as well.

ETA, I'm not talking about foster kids, I'm talking about in general.
Infertile couples don't have the same choices though. Adoption is the only way most can have an infant. While domestic infant adoption is first and foremost about providing a good home for babies, it secondarily is about giving couples who would otherwise couldn't the gift of a baby. The question is if it really should also be a way to help women to avoid the tolls of pregnancy, even if it would dilute the other secondary purpose.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #109
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
Infertile couples don't have the same choices though. Adoption is the only way most can have an infant. While domestic infant adoption is first and foremost about providing a good home for babies, it secondarily is about giving couples who would otherwise couldn't the gift of a baby. The question is if it really should also be a way to help women to avoid the tolls of pregnancy, even if it would dilute the other secondary purpose.
The question is, who will provide a safe loving home and family for an infant or a child who needs one. I personally don't think it matters whether one woman can't get pregnant, or whether one woman won't. I don't believe that being infertile gives you some extra privilege over an equally qualified fertile family. Having said that, a private adoption agency should be able to set whatever criteria they see fit for their purpose.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #110
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
My neighbors just did. They got a healthy, happy 1 week old caucasian baby a few months ago.
I'm sure some people luck out, though I doubt this was a short process for your neighbors, but the point is that there aren't just a bunch of healthy infants in need of adoptive parents. If your neighbors didn't adopt this baby, many other people would've been happy to.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #111
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
The question is, who will provide a safe loving home and family for an infant or a child who needs one.
The thing is there are plenty of infertile people already who will provide a safe and loving home for an infant.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #112
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
The thing is there are plenty of infertile people already who will provide a safe and loving home for an infant.
So what, there are plenty of fertile people too. I get it, you don't think they should be sticking their names in the hat. Well, unless there is a law that says otherwise, they can do whatever they like. Luckily though for those infertile couples there are agencies out there to help them.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #113
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
So what, there are plenty of fertile people too. I get it, you don't think they should be sticking their names in the hat. Well, unless there is a law that says otherwise, they can do whatever they like. Luckily though for those infertile couples there are agencies out there to help them.
I'm not saying there should be any type of law. I just don't think there is anything particularly noble about a fertile person adopting a baby hundreds or thousands of other people want, and I can understand why adoption agencies limit their services to couples who are either infertile or have other medical reasons for avoiding pregnancy. I also think this whole pregnancy "ruining" the body thing is shallow and stupid, and I'm extremely vain, so that's saying something. lol
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #114
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
I'm not saying there should be any type of law. I just don't think there is anything particularly noble about a fertile person adopting a baby hundreds or thousands of other people want, and I can understand why adoption agencies limit their services to couples who are either infertile or have other medical reasons for avoiding pregnancy. I also think this whole pregnancy "ruining" the body thing is shallow and stupid, and I'm extremely vain, so that's saying something. lol
I think people have their own personal reasons, and while I may not agree with them, the important part IMO is that a child is placed with a loving family. Not just making sure someone gets a chance to have an infant that they otherwise wouldn't get.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #115
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401

I can absolutely see how any of my 3 kids might choose to adopt in the future, regardless of whether someone else thinks they should have that opportunity.

After all, adoption helped form our family. I can absolutely see how they would choose to have it help form their own, regardless of whether or not fertility is an issue.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #116
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I think people have their own personal reasons, and while I may not agree with them, the important part IMO is that a child is placed with a loving family. Not just making sure someone gets a chance to have an infant that they otherwise wouldn't get.
I think finding the child a loving family has to be the #1 priority. However, if all else is equal I don't see the problem in giving preference to who are infertile. I don't see what is wrong an adoption agency's #2 priority being to help infertile couples as long as they a qualified.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #117
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I don't mind seeing remarks, I just think your remarks on this thread are offensive to women who want to be mothers without going through pregnancy. I also think you have some "issues" of your own, but since you aren't really worth the points, I wont bother to point them out in this thread.
Thank you for being so concerned about any imaginary issues you feel I might have, especially since I'm only a name LOL.

Since you're being so thoughtful, I'll also not point out what some of your posts have sounded like to me, and to others that are commenting on them.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #118
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl
 
Offsides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
I think finding the child a loving family has to be the #1 priority. However, if all else is equal I don't see the problem in giving preference to who are infertile. I don't see what is wrong an adoption agency's #2 priority being to help infertile couples as long as they a qualified.
If that is their policy, then that is what they should do. I believe a particular agency should be able to have and enforce their own policies. I think, though, that the child should go to the best suited family, period. There should be something about THAT family that leads those placing to believe the child will have the best life. Fertility or infertility doesn't even need to be a factor.
__________________
Offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #119
Mel522
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Great then adopt a "child" leave the babies for those you can't have them. Or go to another country where there are babies waiting. Here there is too long of a list for people to just decide they don't want to distort their body to have a baby. If you don't "want" to be pregnant, then you don't get a "baby" Sorry, that sounds cold., but too many couples with real infertility issues want babies, those babies should be left for them, not those who just don't "want" to be pregnant.
I'm totally fine with adopting children as opposed to babies. I think anyone who only wants a baby is missing the point of being a parent. Babies are only babies for a very short time, and although it is an important time, it is not the only thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
I'm not saying there should be any type of law. I just don't think there is anything particularly noble about a fertile person adopting a baby hundreds or thousands of other people want, and I can understand why adoption agencies limit their services to couples who are either infertile or have other medical reasons for avoiding pregnancy. I also think this whole pregnancy "ruining" the body thing is shallow and stupid, and I'm extremely vain, so that's saying something. lol
Just because someone is infertile doesn't mean they will be better parents or are more deserving of the responsibility.

I do agree that private adoption agencies have a right to limit their service. I also believe the parent putting the child up for adoption have a right to say if they have a preference. Since they are the ones giving the gift of parenthood, they should have a choice in who can and cannot get the child.

FYI, not wanting to get pregnant because of what it could do to your figure is different than not wanting to get pregnant for what it could do to your body. It's has nothing to do with vanity.
__________________
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #120
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer
 
LuvinLucifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
Just because someone is infertile doesn't mean they will be better parents or are more deserving of the responsibility.
I never said infertile people make better parents. There are equally qualified infertile and fertile couples. That's why I don't see the problem with giving a preference to infertile people when all else is equal. Not only would this provide a loving home for the babies, it would give the chance at parenthood to someone who otherwise wouldn't have it.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.