Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #151
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer

How many of those children are infants without severe special needs of which parental rights have been terminated? Seriously, it makes no sense why people would go through a private adoption agency and wait to be chosen by a birth mother if there were all these babies waiting to be adopted.
ALL of these children are AVAILABLE for adoption meaning ALL of the parents rights have been terminated. All 12,000 are UNDER 24 months old, roughly 6,000 are UNDER 12 months old. Most DO NOT have special needs. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't change the facts. The facts are thousands of INFANTS are just waiting to be adopted. I wish more people would contact their local social services and find out about adoption. You ask for sources but ignore facts they provide.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #152
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
ALL of these children are AVAILABLE for adoption meaning ALL of the parents rights have been terminated. All 12,000 are UNDER 24 months old, roughly 6,000 are UNDER 12 months old. Most DO NOT have special needs. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't change the facts. The facts are thousands of INFANTS are just waiting to be adopted. I wish more people would contact their local social services and find out about adoption. You ask for sources but ignore facts they provide.
Do you have any kind of source for this? It doesn't add up. There are thousands of people waiting to adopt infants. If there were all these healthy infants waiting to be adopted that wouldn't be the case.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #153
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is from the state of MN's adoption resource site:

http://www.mnadopt.org/howtoadopt.html

Every source I can find states that there are more than enough people waiting to adopt infants, and every site for waiting children only lists older children and those with severe special needs. There are actually 200 people waiting to adopt babies with Down Syndrome, so it's the more difficult disabilities.

And there are millions of people waiting to adopt:
Just because one state may not have many infants for adoption ( and you give no numbers so we don't know how many infants are available) doesn't mean the other 49 states don't have infants needing and waiting for homes. Those 3,000 infants are waiting somewhere.

As to your answerbag question, I don't place much weight in single answer of a free lance writer with no other qualifications who doesn't list sources. That's like going to yahoo questions , not the most reliable information to be found.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #154
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Do you have any kind of source for this? It doesn't add up. There are thousands of people waiting to adopt infants. If there were all these healthy infants waiting to be adopted that wouldn't be the case.
Um, I listed sources for you in my earlier post, three of them. You ask for sources but don't read them
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #155
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

You've given no evidence those "3,000" waiting babies even exist. Every state has birth parents waiting to adopt. That wouldn't be the case if there were all these babies waiting. I suggest you read the difficulty Nia Vardolos and Sandra Bullock had finding a baby or young child to adopt before you say it's for lack of trying. At least view some sources outside your own misconceptions. Here is a foster care site that contradicts your notions of waiting infants:

Quote:
Nearly all children in foster care have been removed from their families of origin because of alleged abuse or neglect. In general, the primary goal is to remediate the conditions that brought the child into care so that he may return home. Only after such efforts have failed are parental rights terminated. In most cases, once a child is freed for adoption, he’s adopted by relatives or by the non-relative foster parents who have been caring for him. Thus, if you’re able to foster before adopting, it is possible to adopt a baby. But infants who are in foster care are generally not available to be adopted by families who do not have an existing relationship with them.
http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=2129
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #156
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You've given no evidence those "3,000" waiting babies even exist. Every state has birth parents waiting to adopt. That wouldn't be the case if there were all these babies waiting. I suggest you read the difficulty Nia Vardolos and Sandra Bullock had finding a baby or young child to adopt before you say it's for lack of trying. At least view some sources outside your own misconceptions. Here is a foster care site that contradicts your notions of waiting infants:

Yes I did, look at the stats and graphs in the article, here is another one. Page 4 of the report On sept 30th 2011 there were 3,761 children UNDER 1 waiting to be adopted. There were 9,169 children 1 year old waiting to be adopted ,

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default...rsreport19.pdf
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #157
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Um, I listed sources for you in my earlier post, three of them. You ask for sources but don't read them
I did read them. No where did they state that there are 3,000 healthy infants waiting for adoption. One of them clearly shows that you have to foster to adopt and be open to a child of any age. That is a far cry from being able to adopt an infant who's parental rights have been terminated.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #158
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm not sure what misconceptions you are referring to, I am using government sources, those who are in charge of tracking this information, not some vague fluff article you keep using. These are the hard numbers. Where did I say lack of trying? I'm just saying there are babies put there that need homes and are waiting in foster care.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #159
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes I did, look at the stats and graphs in the article, here is another one. Page 4 of the report On sept 30th 2011 there were 3,761 children UNDER 1 waiting to be adopted. There were 9,169 children 1 year old waiting to be adopted ,

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default...rsreport19.pdf
No where does it state that these children don't have special needs. On every adoption site virtually all the kids under the age of one have severe special needs. Again, there literally thousands of people waiting to adopt healthy infants.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #160
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No where does it state that these children don't have special needs. On every adoption site virtually all the kids under the age of one have severe special needs. Again, there literally thousands of people waiting to adopt healthy infants.
Where does it say they DO have special needs?

Last edited by JessB320; 02-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #161
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Where does it they do have special needs?
It doesn't address that! That's the point. You've been saying there are thousands of healthy infants waiting to be adopted in foster care. It's illogical that there would be thousands of healthy infants waiting in foster care because there are far more people waiting to adopt. Safe Haven babies are immediately adopted because everyone wants healthy infants. The only thing that would be keeping these babies from being adopted is special needs.

I suggest you actually read some real life accounts on the realities of adopting through foster care. You'll see it's not as easy choosing from a bunch of infants:

Quote:
Years ago, my colleague adopted a baby from foster care, so I knew it was possible. I called our local foster care office, but I could not get even basic questions answered. I was transferred to several agencies and each person ratcheted up the age of the youngest child I could hope to be matched with. I was first told I might get a seven-year-old; then I was told, no, an eight-year-old was probably the youngest. The last woman I spoke with said no way would I get a child that young. Ten years old is about the youngest we see, she said. She explained that the goal was to reunite kids in foster care with their mothers or other relatives, and children were only available for adoption after every attempt at reunification failed.

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/34/375...#ixzz2KwbkcbU0
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #162
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

First you post that there are NO babies available in foster care, then you say there are only 8 children under 2 years available, after being shown you are incorrect you are now saying they must all be special needs. You keep jumping from one wrong assumption to another. It seems like instead of wanted to really know the facts you want to cling to your own misconceptions about children in the fostercare system.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #163
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It doesn't address that! That's the point. You've been saying there are thousands of healthy infants waiting to be adopted in foster care. It's illogical that there would be thousands of healthy infants waiting in foster care because there are far more people waiting to adopt. Safe Haven babies are immediately adopted because everyone wants healthy infants. The only thing that would be keeping these babies from being adopted is special needs.

I suggest you actually read some real life accounts on the realities of adopting through foster care. You'll see it's not as easy choosing from a bunch of infants:
Um, actually I have personal contact and experience with dozens of foster family's and their foster children. I currently provide respite care for several homes, there is a total of about 20-25 infants (children under 12 months) in these homes. Only 3 of those children are Special needs. I don't feel the need to read "real life " accounts when I experience it in real life.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #164
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
First you post that there are NO babies available in foster care, then you say there are only 8 children under 2 years available, after being shown you are incorrect you are now saying they must all be special needs. You keep jumping from one wrong assumption to another. It seems like instead of wanted to really know the facts you want to cling to your own misconceptions about children in the fostercare system.
I have stated all along that there are no HEALTHY INFANTS waiting for adoption. I even went to AdoptUSKids where there were only children under 2 with special needs. You've yet to post any sources to support that there are 3,000 infants without special needs available. Considering it makes no sense that there would(since there are far more people than that waiting to adopt such infants) you really don't have anything to stand on. Where are all these children? They seem to be pretty hidden considering even people such as Sandra Bullock and Nia Vardalos(who were desperate to adopt from anywhere) couldn't find them.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #165
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Um, actually I have personal contact and experience with dozens of foster family's and their foster children. I currently provide respite care for several homes, there is a total of about 20-25 infants (children under 12 months) in these homes. Only 3 of those children are Special needs. I don't feel the need to read "real life " accounts when I experience it in real life.
Your personal anecdote contradicts just about every foster care site, adoption agency, and personal adoption story in the media. If there are all these healthy infants waiting why can't you find a single source to contradict all of mine? There are thousands of profiles online for people who want adopt a healthy baby. Why isn't there any evidence of all these waiting infants when there are plenty for older children and babies with special needs?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: