Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know which ruins are better?

Costa Maya or Cozumel? My grandchildren are studying their culture right now and are excited to actually see them at the end of April.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

Highly recommend the ones in Costa Maya. The Tulum (from Cozumel have to do a ferry and long bus ride) ones come in second because of the travel involved. In my opinion, the ones on the island of Cozumel can be skipped entirely (they were "beautify-ing" the ruins when we were there several years ago. When we asked our guide what it meant, he reluctantly explained that they dig up random stones -- and it was day laborers digging, not professionals trying to find pieces of old ruins and piece them together --and build things that might have existed in the times the Mayan ruins were built.)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

x2 for the Costa Maya
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

second the ruins of Costa Maya.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

I vote the Costa Maya ruins. We've been to both the ones at Costa Maya and the ruins on Cozumel. The ruins on Cozumel are very different from what you think of as Mayan ruins, there are no big temple structures on Cozumel. The ruins on Costa Maya have the temples.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

By Cozumel, I presume you mean the Tulum ruins that are on the mainland but accessible by tour from Cozumel. (The San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel proper are not worth your time.)

The one "pro" in favor of Tulum is that the ruins are more picturesque, being located on seaside cliffs. That being said, here are all the reasons why you should see the ruins close to Costa Maya (Chacchoben) instead.

1. There is nothing--at all--to do in Costa Maya. Unless you like buying kitschy knickknacks, this is the port where you need to 'do something'.

2. It takes a lot longer to get to Tulum from Cozumel than it does to get to the ruins from Costa Maya. Sitting around waiting for a bus...then a ferry...then riding on another bus...and then doing it all again is a dreary way to spend your very limited port time.

3. You can climb on many of the Chacchoben ruins, but really can't do that at Tulum.

4. The Tulum site is very exposed to the elements, and it is frequently quite hot.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Thanks to you all for the confirmation. That is what my daughter chose, she is going and taking her older kids, I get to keep the 2 year old on the ship. I think I got the best part because I am not the least bit interested. Her girls are though since they are studying Mayan culture right now. I just wanted to be sure they were doing the best and it sounds like they are!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Costa Maya!

We did the Fantasy last year with kids age 8 and 10. They loved the Costa Maya ruins - we found it to be VERY educational. The tour guide was wonderful - if you go in the summer, be aware, however that it is their rainy season so consider this. It poured on us (still fun though)

Cozumel just seemed so much more fun and lively and so many more things to do, so I wouldn't spend the cozumel time doing ruins. We did the Fury Catamaran sail and it was awesome! Best excursion from the trip - the kids snorkeled and they took us to a private beach, and we had a dance party on the way back. The kids still talk about that excursion as well.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Costa Maya Tequila Shop!

1. There is nothing--at all--to do in Costa Maya. Unless you like buying kitschy knickknacks, this is the port where you need to 'do something'.

[/QUOTE]

There is a pool there, but personally I don't want to get of a ship just to swim in a pool? You are right about the kitschy souvenirs - However, when we were there they did have a demonstration of Mayan dance/music that I found fascinating.

The other thing I HIGHLY recommend is the flavored Tequila! There is a small tequila store (that gives out free samples - just sayin) and we picked up a bottle of Vanilla Tequila, Mango Tequila and Pomegranate Tequila - needless to say, these things have been quite the hit and discussion piece after getting home and sharing photos and stories with our neighbors. HIGHLY recommend looking for that small Tequila shop and trying some yourself!

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

both are pretty run down - doesn't look like anyone has put any money into them in 5-600 years!
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: