Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
nicole83
Mouseketeer

So I had my Amtrak reservation all booked, I will be leaving Providence, RI on March 15th, transferring in NY and we WERE to depart at the Kissimmee Amtrak Station on March 16th but apparently there will be track work being done and the furthest the train is going is Jacksonville, which is like TWO HOURS from WDW. I was planning on taking a Taxi from Kissimmee to my hotel CBR but there is no way I am taking a 2 hour taxi ride from JAX. I'm hoping things might change within the next 30 days but just in case I'm wondering if anyone can help me with suggestions on getting from JAX to CBR. We aren't renting a car because we plan on using the WDW buses. I will pay the money to have a car service pick us up but I'm clueless when it comes to these companies, I checked Mears and it would cost almost $400, that's more than I spent on the damn train. Pleaseeee if anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it What a dent this has put in my mood. Also when I spoke to Amtrak she claimed there were no buses running, I'm going to research this, ugh I pray things change but I don't want to chance it.

Thank you so much

Last edited by nicole83; 02-13-2013 at 10:52 AM.
nicole83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Another thing, does anyone know if the Jacksonville airport has ME as well?
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
NE2
Earning My Ears

This is all I can find on the Amtrak site:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251623366476

You may want to contact Amtrak again and verify that (a) the track work is taking place on March 15-16 and (b) if so, that they are not bustituting. Then ask why the service alerts on their website do not jibe.
NE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

If you want the lowest cost option to travel from Jacksonville to Disney, it will be a rental car. Both Taxi and Car Service will cost a lot, keep in mind, Jacksonville is about 2-2.5 hours away from Disney. You could also book a bus service (i.e. Greyhound or similar), but that would most likely be at your expense and not Amtrak and you'd have to find a way to get from the train station to the bus station (if it is not centralized - I'm not familar with Jacksonville's train station).

ME (Magical Express) is only operated between MCO (Orlando International Airport) and Disney resorts; it is a perk offered by Disney for their guests and is not offered at any other airport.

I just tried to do a mock booking using your travel dates and it appears the intinerary is cancelled, you may need to find all new transportation options:

Last edited by jlewisinsyr; 02-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.
jlewisinsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Normally, when segments of Amtrak routes cannot be operated due to track work, Amtrak uses motorcoaches to transport guests on those segments.

Do you already have Amtrak tickets? If so, Amtrak should still be able to get you to Kissimmee -- even if you'll be on a bus from Jacksonville to Kissimmee. If you don't already have tickets, then it may be too late to buy them if the buses are full.

Any livery service (chauffeured limo, sedan, or SUV) would cost a fortune between Jacksonville and Walt Disney World.

The only airport with Disney's Magical Express is Orlando International.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Normally, when segments of Amtrak routes cannot be operated due to track work, Amtrak uses motorcoaches to transport guests on those segments.

Do you already have Amtrak tickets? If so, Amtrak should still be able to get you to Kissimmee -- even if you'll be on a bus from Jacksonville to Kissimmee.

Any livery service (chauffeured limo, sedan, or SUV) would cost a fortune between Jacksonville and Walt Disney World.

The only airport with Disney's Magical Express is Orlando International.
I would agree, but it looks like they are only offering bus service to MIA from 91 and are cancelling those going to Orlando.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
HoosierDisneyDad
Mouseketeer

If you don't want to rent a car and Amtrak won't provide a bus, you could try taking Megabus. I just checked their website and they have tickets for the bus from Jacksonville to Orlando for $9 on March 16th.
HoosierDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
NE2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyDad View Post
If you don't want to rent a car and Amtrak won't provide a bus, you could try taking Megabus. I just checked their website and they have tickets for the bus from Jacksonville to Orlando for $9 on March 16th.
Looks like Megabus goes to downtown Jax, while Amtrak stops 5 miles away.
NE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Well it looks like I can take the Greyhound bus from Jacksonville to Orlando, then just grab a taxi to my hotel. I'll have to take a taxi to the Jacksonville Greyhound station as well. I'm going to price everything out and give my TA a call as well to see what she suggests. What a bummer! If I take the megabus we won't arrive in Disney until 4pm, greyhound arrives at 11am.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I still have a month to go so maybe things will change ::crossfingers::
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
chartle
DIS Veteran

I think you should rent a car for just that day and drop it off at one of the locations On Property. Its going to be the cheapest fastest and have the least amount of hassle. I can't see why you would even consider two taxi trips and a Greyhound bus.

Here is a link to Hertz which can pick you up at the station.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locati...sp&eoag=JAXX21
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran

Amtrak tickets are fully refundable! I'd cancel the train trip and fly Southwest down. Maybe shorten the trip by one day and use that money for your airfare. You can then use ME to and from the airport for free!

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 View Post
Amtrak tickets are fully refundable! I'd cancel the train trip and fly Southwest down. Maybe shorten the trip by one day and use that money for your airfare. You can then use ME to and from the airport for free!
I would but the reason we're going Amtrak is because my BF is terrified to fly LOL. I think we will end up renting a car, it seems the most practical
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post

I just tried to do a mock booking using your travel dates and it appears the intinerary is cancelled, you may need to find all new transportation options:

You did your mock booking for the wrong date. OP is leaving Providence on the 15th, not the 16th.

OP, if you do a search on amtrak.com for the date of March 15th, some of the PVD-KIS trains are canceled, but others are running. Those which are clearly show you will be bussed between Jacksonville and Kissimmee. Didn't you check their web site?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

The Amtrak site shows the runs that went directly to Kissimmee as cancelled. But, others are the exact same run but with a bus running from Jacksonville to Kissimmee. I have to think that you are on one of those runs. I would call Amtrak to see, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
The Amtrak site shows the runs that went directly to Kissimmee as cancelled. But, others are the exact same run but with a bus running from Jacksonville to Kissimmee. I have to think that you are on one of those runs. I would call Amtrak to see, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
No need to call Amtrak; OP simply needs to check the Amtrak website to see the status of her scheduled trip. I'm surprised she didn't do that in the first place.

OP, you really should edit your first post and remove your email address.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: