Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #211
truck1
Growing older but not up.

[QUOTE="Tonka's Skipper"]Good morning to all!

Sorry I wasn't here last night I had my own little vessel issue on a bulker here up in Mass.

First and foremost, a moment of thanks to whatever faith you may follow that the vessel got in safe and sound.

Kudos to the vessels crew.I have not seen one report or comment that was not praised the actions and work of the crew to make the best of a bad situation.

Thanks to everyone who followed my request to keep this about the progress of the Triumph, and not a DCL Vs Carnival.

As to some posts.

!. Truck my friend, I thought all lifeboats had to have the ablity to be lowered/launched without needing power.....at least back, in my day and on the cargo vessels I mostly deal with now, that is the case........

4. The Concordia is still on her side, on the bottom. They don't expect to get her afloat for a number of months yet. The final decision has not been announced as yet, but the Las Vegas odds are strong she will be scrapped.

AKK[/QUOTE
It was announced on the salvage site Concordia is being scrapped once she's floated. I'm in class at the moment and dont have access to the site. As far as lifeboat launching power I am under the same thought that there is a manual gravity deployment in the event of total power failure.
. This differs from the new changes that affect oil rigs at sea and is being confused/used interchangeably with cruise ships. I'll try and look when I get home if my mind isn't totally numb from this class I'm taking.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #212
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Tonka's Skipper,

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious to everyone who has ever cruised....it is not SAFE to transfer people ship to ship in the open ocean. Anyone suggesting it has obviously never tried to get on a tender when the waves are a little rocky (and that's with a ship that is anchored!).

You have been offering very helpful information which, if people were reading, would be answering a lot of the questions/accusations being made.

It's an awful situation and I'm not sure how I'm feeling about Carnival right now. This afternoon, I'm going to try to put together a statistical comparison of # of ships at sea vs. number of fires. That's the only way I can justify (to myself) whether or not this is a problem. Until then, I'm just glad everyone is back on dry land!

Your most welcome.........
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #213
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

An interesting note John Heald received from a Triumph passenger:

John Heald

The fact that this lady has taken the time to write this the day after she disembarked the Carnival Triumph is simply brilliant and I wanted to share her story with you all and her words of praise for one very special crew member

Georgette Bedford Ford posted toJohn Heald
5 minutes ago near New Orleans, LA via mobile.Just got off Triumph last night and I would like to ask you to give a giant kudos to Loreto from Phillipines who was our room steward on 6221 Triumph! He was amazing, he disinfected our rooms every couple of hours, sprayed the halls with a room spray, got us ice and was always there for us smiling and laughing. He hardly slept and when he did he slept in the hallway in case we needed him. I think my experience would have been different had we not had Loreto with us! This was not the way I planned to enjoy my platinum voyage but it definitely wasn't for me anything like I just watched on tv last night !
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #214
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
An interesting note John Heald received from a Triumph passenger:

John Heald

The fact that this lady has taken the time to write this the day after she disembarked the Carnival Triumph is simply brilliant and I wanted to share her story with you all and her words of praise for one very special crew member

Georgette Bedford Ford posted toJohn Heald
5 minutes ago near New Orleans, LA via mobile.Just got off Triumph last night and I would like to ask you to give a giant kudos to Loreto from Phillipines who was our room steward on 6221 Triumph! He was amazing, he disinfected our rooms every couple of hours, sprayed the halls with a room spray, got us ice and was always there for us smiling and laughing. He hardly slept and when he did he slept in the hallway in case we needed him. I think my experience would have been different had we not had Loreto with us! This was not the way I planned to enjoy my platinum voyage but it definitely wasn't for me anything like I just watched on tv last night !
Kudos! to this Crewman. This is why the people that wine about the tips gets my blood boiling.

Whatever line it is.........these folks work hard to give us a great cruise and even under the terrible conditions and what was surely many extra hours this crew member was looking after his passengers!

That is professionalism and Duty.....!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #215
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

http://www.usatoday.com/story/home/2...rices/1922915/

"Social media could play a much bigger role this time..."

I hadn't thought about this. You know everybody with a cellphone was getting pictures and video of the conditions on board and will soon be posting them on FB and and emailing them to friends and family.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #216
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Kudos! to this gal. This is why the people that wine about the tips gets my blood boiling.

Whatever line it is.........these folks work hard to give us a great cruise and even under the terrible conditions and what was surely many extra hours this crew member was looking after her passigners!

That is professionalism.....!

AKK
I agree!! In ALL of our cruises, I think we've only had TWO hosts who really went above and beyond. Our beloved friend Rodolfo on Disney, and one on another line. We've done the "butler" thing on NCL.....no real memories at all of them. Must not have made much of an impression.
But Rodolfo......THAT'S a good worker, and a good man.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #217
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Great Crew!!

I am most impressed with the stories about the crew. Everyone, regardless of the good or bad they have to say about this cruise/experience, has said the crew went above and beyond to make them safe and as comfortable as possible.

This is why I "bristle" at the occasional insults toward Carnival service (both here and on CC). On EVERY line I've been on, the crew has been, for the most part, great. They may not be chummy and knitting me socks, but they have, for the most part, done a very good job. This is a great testament to the fact that most of them on ANY cruise line would rise to the occasion and take special care of the guests in their charge.

GO CREW!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #218
justmestace

The first lawsuit has already been filed. That didn't take long at all.

It was for physical and emotional harm, due to anxiety, nervousness and loss of enjoyment of life.

Not saying that this isn't true in this case....but what's to stop other people who went on, say for example, a Norwegian cruise, and everything was fine with the ship, but someone still suffered from nervousness and anxiety, etc? I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem to take anything TRULY physical to file a lawsuit. Okay, that sounds dumb....maybe I don't know what I'm trying to say.

Or, for example, I WAS injured on a ship....medical records to prove it. I didn't sue, even though they admitted they were at fault. I was told to contact someone shoreside, and when I did, I was told I didn't have a leg to stand on, wasn't offered any compensation, and nothing else came of it. I didn't sue.....didn't think I stood a chance against tons of corporate lawyers.
So.....under these well-documented circumstances, what do you think this lady's chances are?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #219
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Too many possibilities to even guess what will happen in court. If this woman was really injured, I could see compensation for medical expenses and so on.

But, if they're going to grant judgments for plain old fashioned anxiety, heck, I could file because I'm booked on that ship for September, and that is causing me anxiety as to whether she'll be able to sail. LOL

There is no guarantee of an anxiety free cruise, or an anxiety free life for that matter. Anything can go wrong when you travel, things beyond the expected, and beyond anyone's control. Plus you sign waivers, so we'll see what happens.

I'm sure it was not a pleasant experience and certainly not at all what people expected, but it could have been much, much worse.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #220
Embel
Mouseketeer

"Loss of enjoyment of life"

That's a thing??

A thing you can sue for?
Embel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #221
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

ANYONE can sue for any reason.. THey have to "Prove" cause and effect.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #222
2Kds2K9
DIS Veteran

So thankful everyone got off the ship safely. And so glad to hear that passengers are singing the praises of the crew. I'm sure the crew all worked very hard to make the best out of a very bad situation and that they took the brunt of all the complaints as well.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day and she also questioned why not transfer everyone another ship. I relayed the story of our last cruise where a family missed the ship in Belize. They were told that if they could hire a boat, they could meet the ship out by the pilot house before the ship hit open water. An hour later, we all witnessed this family of 5 transfere from the pilot boat to the ship It was not pretty as they put life vests on the family and had them take a risky step over to the ship. (I was also secretly thanking God that I did not go to that last gift shop and possibly miss the ship!!!) I'm sure this is not an option at all in open waters.

Good luck and safe travels to all!
2Kds2K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #223
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
ANYONE can sue for any reason.. THey have to "Prove" cause and effect.
Reminds me of one of my favourite Phil Hartman characters from Saturday Night Live. He did a spoof of a commercial for a law firm specializing in frivolous claims. One of the "actors" would say " I always wanted to sue someone, but thought I needed a reason" and Hartman's character would answer "Not So!".

It was hilarious!
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #224
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embel
"Loss of enjoyment of life"

That's a thing??

A thing you can sue for?
Among other things yes. Unfortunately in our sue happy world you can sue for just about anything. Remember the McDonalds hot coffee? Another one I've heard of is loss of intimacy to put it mildly.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #225
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

In ALL of our cruises, I think we've only had TWO hosts who really went above and beyond. Our beloved friend Rodolfo on Disney, and one on another line. . .
Rodolfo was our steward on the Magic twice. He has a great attitude and personality -- simply outstanding.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: