Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #196
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

I feel for the poor crew on this ship. With so many people discussing things like tips etc... on this board who knows what will happen to the crew? I constantly see nothing but good glowing comments from people who were on the ship now surfacing in the news about the crew and how amazing they were. I really hope that Carnival really does something for the crew on the Triumph and just doesn't send them home because they no longer have jobs for them. They had to do unthinkable things and in addition they now run the risk of being unemployed. I hope they give them bonuses or something but that probably is far fetched.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #197
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Since the incident is over and not DCL related I am moving the thread to the Community Board where it can be followed there.

Thank you.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #198
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD
I feel for the poor crew on this ship. With so many people discussing things like tips etc... on this board who knows what will happen to the crew? I constantly see nothing but good glowing comments from people who were on the ship now surfacing in the news about the crew and how amazing they were. I really hope that Carnival really does something for the crew on the Triumph and just doesn't send them home because they no longer have jobs for them. They had to do unthinkable things and in addition they now run the risk of being unemployed. I hope they give them bonuses or something but that probably is far fetched.
With the Splendor the crew was put up in hotels nearby and I think that some were offered the op to go home for a few weeks. I would assume that this would be similar.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #199
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Have you received anything from Carnival about that cruise? Even if they go the refurb route, I would doubt it would be ready to sail in Sept?
I have not heard anything so far. September is several months away. I know sailings through mid-April have been cancelled.

They'll need time to fully access the damages and schedule repairs, I would think, before letting any people with reservations that far out know anything. After all, it did just dock, and the cause needs to be investigated before any major repairs can begin.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #200
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Since the incident is over and not DCL related I am moving the thread to the Community Board where it can be followed there.

Thank you.

MJ

Cool. Now that it is off the DCL board can we trash Carnival?! Just kidding. :-)
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #201
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD

Yes but you think they could have those dedicated toilets for emergencies have backups so they worked. In the event of a total outage yes there might be no way to do this but if they have limited power then you could have backup generators to run the pumps. Even if you had to use water pumped in from the sea for this purpose it could be done.

I am happy that the ship is docked! This is great news and that no lives were lost. I had a baby on our last cruise who was 3 months old and this would have been a nightmare. We wouldn't have had enough formula. Hmmm gets me thinking for our next cruise we'll take some extra supplies just in case.

I wish Mobile, AL would stop pointing fingers about Carnival's decisions in this case. Yes I have trouble believing that Carnival is not looking out for their best interest but without knowing what is going on in Carnival Corps meetings who knows why they made the decisions they did. They did manage to get emergency things in place for getting people home. That is all that matters. Restitution is another matter that can be dealt with after everyone is home safe and sound.
Something is not quite right in my mind withe whole power issue on the ship. There's supposed to be a redundancy but so far I have yet to see evidence that its working. For example theres supposed to be 2 main distribution panels so if any 1 engine or panel goes down for whatever reason power is not interrupted from the other engines and panel. This would avoid what were seeing.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #202
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Something is not quite right in my mind withe whole power issue on the ship. There's supposed to be a redundancy but so far I have yet to see evidence that its working. For example theres supposed to be 2 main distribution panels so if any 1 engine or panel goes down for whatever reason power is not interrupted from the other engines and panel. This would avoid what were seeing.
I agree with this idea, however, admittedly don't know a thing about mechanics myself. All I can think is that it must have involved both of them, or presumably, the ship was already running with only 1.....
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #203
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I have not heard anything so far. September is several months away. I know sailing through mid-April have been cancelled.

They'll need time to fully access the damages and schedule repairs, I would think, before letting any people with reservations that far out know anything. After all, it did just dock, and the cause needs to be investigated before any major repairs can begin.

Yeah, I can see that. I read the National Transportation Board is gonna do an investigation too...and that will take time being a government agency. :-)

My thought was the fire must have been pretty bad to take out the power distrobution system such that even backup generators could not power the sweage pumps.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #204
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Yeah, I can see that. I read the National Transportation Board is gonna do an investigation too...and that will take time being a government agency. :-)

My thought was the fire must have been pretty bad to take out the power distrobution system such that even backup generators could not power the sweage pumps.
Yes, and my traveling group are all from the San Antonio area, so we are all car pooling and driving about 3 hours to Galveston, no airlines tickets to change or worry with no matter if we sail or not.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #205
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Good morning to all!

Sorry I wasn't here last night I had my own little vessel issue on a bulker here up in Mass.

First and foremost, a moment of thanks to whatever faith you may follow that the vessel got in safe and sound.

Kudos to the vessels crew.I have not seen one report or comment that was not praised the actions and work of the crew to make the best of a bad situation.

Thanks to everyone who followed my request to keep this about the progress of the Triumph, and not a DCL Vs Carnival.

As to some posts.

!. Truck my friend, I thought all lifeboats had to have the ablity to be lowered/launched without needing power.....at least back, in my day and on the cargo vessels I mostly deal with now, that is the case........

2. Stacy, it was a good thing the extacy and the elation were handy, but that is not really a issue, any vessel in the area would come to the triumph or any other vessel to help and if needed to have food transfferred. As I remember, the Spendour had the USS Lincohn heloed food and supplies to her.

3. This keeps coming up about bringing another vessel alongside or using tenders/lifeboats...........sorry..NO!!!!!!!!!!!! it is not safe to try and jump/ step/ hop form one ship to another or into a tender in open water...Especialy people who are not exprienced/ elderly or disabaled . Its even a chancy thing for seamen who are expreinced in doing it.

Vessels move/shift randomly and do it unexpectantly..In fact the only people who I think would have the good safe chance would be the Kids.......they are all monkeys anyway..we all were back then!

4. The Concordia is still on her side, on the bottom. They don't expect to get her afloat for a number of months yet. The final decision has not been announced as yet, but the Las Vegas odds are strong she will be scrapped.

5. As to sailing out of Mobile vs New Orleans the big difference between the two would be a 2 hour ship channel trip in and out and a 12 hours river trip in and out of New Orleans.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #206
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, and my traveling group are all from the San Antonio area, so we are all car pooling and driving about 3 hours to Galveston, no airlines tickets to change or worry with no matter if we sail or not.
Chuck,

So if they do repair the ship you would sail or are you having second thoughts?

Oh and an off topic thing my in-laws live on the lake in Seguin near I-10 and 90.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #207
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
Chuck,

So if they do repair the ship you would sail or are you having second thoughts?

Oh and an off topic thing my in-laws live on the lake in Seguin near I-10 and 90.
As far as I know, everyone in our group of 9 travelers is still planning to sail, if the ship is ready. I probably live across the river/lake from your parents. It sounds like they live in/near the Lake Placid subdivision, I live in Placid Heights.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #208
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Tonka's Skipper,

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious to everyone who has ever cruised....it is not SAFE to transfer people ship to ship in the open ocean. Anyone suggesting it has obviously never tried to get on a tender when the waves are a little rocky (and that's with a ship that is anchored!).

You have been offering very helpful information which, if people were reading, would be answering a lot of the questions/accusations being made.

It's an awful situation and I'm not sure how I'm feeling about Carnival right now. This afternoon, I'm going to try to put together a statistical comparison of # of ships at sea vs. number of fires. That's the only way I can justify (to myself) whether or not this is a problem. Until then, I'm just glad everyone is back on dry land!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #209
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As far as I know, everyone in our group of 9 travelers is still planning to sail, if the ship is ready. I probably live across the river/lake from your parents. It sounds like they live in/near the Lake Placid subdivision, I live in Placid Heights.
It will definitely be interesting to see what Carnival does with the ship. My in-laws live in Pecan Cove.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #210
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Tonka's Skipper,

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious to everyone who has ever cruised....it is not SAFE to transfer people ship to ship in the open ocean. Anyone suggesting it has obviously never tried to get on a tender when the waves are a little rocky (and that's with a ship that is anchored!).

You have been offering very helpful information which, if people were reading, would be answering a lot of the questions/accusations being made.

It's an awful situation and I'm not sure how I'm feeling about Carnival right now. This afternoon, I'm going to try to put together a statistical comparison of # of ships at sea vs. number of fires. That's the only way I can justify (to myself) whether or not this is a problem. Until then, I'm just glad everyone is back on dry land!
I would think this could be an issue trying to transfer. I know when we were in Cabo in March getting on/off the tender made me uneasy and that was in controlled conditions. There was some bobbing of the tender. That is near shore but not in a bay or anything like that.

I would be interested in your conclusions. I am sure there are other fires that aren't even reported they keep hush hush.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: