Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

hey quick question for those in Chicago

The Purple and Brown lines of the EL list a stop at "merchandise mart" is this the shopping area known as magnificant mile where all the shops are. I'm staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and it looks like there is a stop on the loop for both of these lines and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to go walk around the shopping area.

Thanks.

(I've downloaded the line maps and an iphone app but it only gives me the names of the stops not what's close by.)

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
The Purple and Brown lines of the EL list a stop at "merchandise mart" is this the shopping area known as magnificant mile where all the shops are. I'm staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and it looks like there is a stop on the loop for both of these lines and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to go walk around the shopping area.

Thanks.

(I've downloaded the line maps and an iphone app but it only gives me the names of the stops not what's close by.)
No, Merchandise Mart is a separate building further west. You want the Chicago Ave stop - red line.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

The "Magnificent Mile" is just a section of Michigan Ave. between roughly the Hancock Building to the north and the Chicago river to the south. The Hard Rock Hotel is just south of the river on Michigan. You won't need public transportation - just walk north one block, cross the river at the Mich. Ave. bridge, and you'll be at the southern end of the MagMile. If you're at the north end and too tired or weighted down with bags to walk back, you'd be better off just using the buses on Michigan to get back vs taking the El.
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
bookgirl
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71 View Post
The "Magnificent Mile" is just a section of Michigan Ave. between roughly the Hancock Building to the north and the Chicago river to the south. The Hard Rock Hotel is just south of the river on Michigan. You won't need public transportation - just walk north one block, cross the river at the Mich. Ave. bridge, and you'll be at the southern end of the MagMile. If you're at the north end and too tired or weighted down with bags to walk back, you'd be better off just using the buses on Michigan to get back vs taking the El.
Oh that helps. Thanks.

From the map it was looking like it was further north but I have no problem walking a couple of blocks. I'm not a huge shopper but figured it would be fun to browse at some of the shops that we don't have here so I'm not antcipating lots of bags. Besides I like walking and seeing new stuff better than public transportation anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
bookgirl
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
No, Merchandise Mart is a separate building further west. You want the Chicago Ave stop - red line.
See that's why I had to ask, I figured it sounded like shopping but wasn't sure if it was the actual shopping area that everyone talks about.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
ariel is spot on Just have a hat or earcovering of some sort. While it isn't a lot of walking, the wind can make it feel twice as far. A cab won't be that $$ either, another option for your return to the Hard Rock *in case you make more purchases than you plan on
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
bookgirl
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
ariel is spot on Just have a hat or earcovering of some sort. While it isn't a lot of walking, the wind can make it feel twice as far. A cab won't be that $$ either, another option for your return to the Hard Rock *in case you make more purchases than you plan on
The wind is the one thing I'm not worried about.

"where the wind comes sweeping down the plains" is in that song for a reason. We are very windy.

My hair is short and headbands are easy to carry. I'm going to be there in June/July for a conference so while not cold I'm going to assume there is still wind in the windy city.

Do you guys get very muggy with the lake being right there. I know I was told it's not quite as hot that far north, but I do plan to walk around and being OCD in the travel department I have already started to think about packing lists.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

You'll want to look up the Merchandise Mart to make sure it's a place you want to go shopping -- it's been a number of years since I've been there, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly interior design and furniture stores (and we were taken around by a broker or wholesaler or something).

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
bookgirl
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
You'll want to look up the Merchandise Mart to make sure it's a place you want to go shopping -- it's been a number of years since I've been there, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly interior design and furniture stores (and we were taken around by a broker or wholesaler or something).
Haha um not what I was hoping to window shop for. Imagine trying to take that on the plane back home.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
The wind is the one thing I'm not worried about.

"where the wind comes sweeping down the plains" is in that song for a reason. We are very windy.

My hair is short and headbands are easy to carry. I'm going to be there in June/July for a conference so while not cold I'm going to assume there is still wind in the windy city.

Do you guys get very muggy with the lake being right there. I know I was told it's not quite as hot that far north, but I do plan to walk around and being OCD in the travel department I have already started to think about packing lists.
it can get a little muggy from time to time, but I think you will be ok. Have a great time!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

It can get hot and muggy in the summer, but if it is, you'll be close to the lakefront, which is actually more comfortable than further "inland" because of the moderating effects of the lake. There's usually a lake breeze.

I can't think of anything special you'll need here that you wouldn't want to have anywhere else in America during the summer (sunscreen, umbrella, etc). Comfortable walking shoes will be most important. There are tons of drugstores around if you forget anything. You're staying in a good location - close to a lot of sightseeing areas like the Magnificent Mile, Milennium Park (where "the bean" and the Art Institute are), Navy Pier, etc. My one recommendation that I make to tourists is to go on one of the Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tours on the river - amazing perspective and history of the city
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
bookgirl
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
It can get hot and muggy in the summer, but if it is, you'll be close to the lakefront, which is actually more comfortable than further "inland" because of the moderating effects of the lake. There's usually a lake breeze.

I can't think of anything special you'll need here that you wouldn't want to have anywhere else in America during the summer (sunscreen, umbrella, etc). Comfortable walking shoes will be most important. There are tons of drugstores around if you forget anything. You're staying in a good location - close to a lot of sightseeing areas like the Magnificent Mile, Milennium Park (where "the bean" and the Art Institute are), Navy Pier, etc. My one recommendation that I make to tourists is to go on one of the Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tours on the river - amazing perspective and history of the city
Boat Tour? Now that sounds cool. I'm ariving at Midway at 9:30 am but my conference doesn't offcially start till early eve so I figure to do some touristy things that day and a boat tour is something that is right up my alley. Thanks I'll look into that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: