Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Palendat
DIS Veteran

Should Apple buy Disney?

Should Apple buy Disney? Discuss! I think they should. It would, in my opinion, create a lot of synergy and positive spin offs.
Palendat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palendat
Should Apple buy Disney? Discuss! I think they should. It would, in my opinion, create a lot of synergy and positive spin offs.
Wouldn't it be the other way around... Should Disney buy apple? Disney as a business is way larger than apple
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Palendat
DIS Veteran

Disney's market cap is about 95 billion. Apple has $137 billion just sitting there in cash. No borrowing, no issuing new shares. Easy, right! Except for the shenanigans a company can do to stop things.
Palendat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I would think that would ge a bit of a train wreck myself. Should Apple invest in a Disney resort or ride....oh yeah. Should they combine and become a single company...no no no
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Wouldn't it be the other way around... Should Disney buy apple? Disney as a business is way larger than apple
yeah...you're backwards on that one.

its not how many parks, employees, or horrible announcers on ESPN you have...

it's how much cash you have or what you could be bought for...that's where you're power comes from
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

An interesting way for Apple to spend their $138 Billion war chest. They would have about $38 B after all is said and done.

But, I don't think the Disney board would ever approve an all cash deal.

The compelling part is that both Google and Apple have their eye's set on the next logical progression of TV: Via the Web. Content providers are expected to be the logical winners in the years to come. ABC, the Dis Channel and ESPN would be a very big weapon for one of the two to control. But, perhaps the Disney Board may believe they can do better remaining independent?

Some things that I think make this unlikely:
  • Seems to me there is little synergy other then the "TV of the future" thing.
  • I also wonder about the public's reaction to Disney no longer being a independent company?
  • Would other Media Companies revolt and withhold content from the I-Store?
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl
I would think that would ge a bit of a train wreck myself. Should Apple invest in a Disney resort or ride....oh yeah. Should they combine and become a single company...no no no
They should sponsor a ride in Epcot and call it a day. Or maybe Mae innoventions relevant
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
bgraham34
Wilderness Lodger

If anything you would want Disney to become private. Wont ever happen but if it did that is when you would see real magic happen. A better Disney would come out focusing more on the old Disney values.

bgraham34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palendat View Post
I'm not sure what synergies you are thinking about, unless you are thinking the RFID technology. Disney is an entertainment/vacation destination service provider. The television networks provide diversification to a point. How does a consumer level smart phone/computer designer compare. Neither has a strong knowledge of the other and most of the benefits (reduced costs/product line extensions) do not match up.

They each could license technology/rights to content and be much better off without the difficulties that come with an acquisition. That would be a win-win and allow both to make more bottom line. Besides, do you really want an Apple store in MK?

Just my opinion.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

I really don't think this would or could happen. The two need eachother as separate entities. Economically, they each function well on their own turf and their pseudo partnership currently in place helps that even more. Combining these companies would cause more problems to arise than benefits.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I think there was a similar thread a couple of months ago.

I'd still say that the answer is no. They are two different businesses in two different market segments. I don't see any significant overlap so no opportunities to wring costs out of the combined organization.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Boy...somedays i think they should just shutdown the "rumors and news" board and replace it with "hypothetical without theoretical extrapolation"

Just kinda ruminating on something that has never been proposed. Apple shall not buy Disney nor shall Disney buy apple. It wouldn't make any sense from multiple angles until the FCC rules regarding content and how its delivered evolve/change to allow for more direct outleting (i.e. the ruthless execution of Comcast).

If only disney followed their old, boring "build something a year" plan that was pretty much normal from 1955 to 1998..then perhaps we'd keep our feet on the ground
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
That's not true.

The Walt Disney Company (DIS) has a market cap (total value for the company's shares) of $99.15 billion

Apple Inc. (AAPL) has a market cap of $441.42 billion.

Also, as Palendat correctly noted, Apple is sitting on a pile of "cash" that's now around $137 billion. And Apple has no long-term debt. So Apple could buy Disney. If Apple offered significantly more than Disney's current market cap, Disney's board would have little choice but to put it to a shareholder vote.

But it's not going to happen.

The opportunities for synergy between the two companies are limited. Yes, digital delivery and playback of creative content from the "cloud" will continue to gain in importance, but the two companies are fundamentally in different businesses.

The investment community rewards "pure play" companies that do one thing very well, whether it's energy, pharmaceuticals, technology, or media. The heyday of conglomerates is over. Diversified companies have sold off business segments or have broken up into several more focused companies. Chances are that a combined Apple-Disney would have a lower market cap than the two companies separately; that's not what stockholders want.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
DIS Veteran

I can see it now:

Orlando Sentinel reports Breaking News: "Disney buses, working on their first day for new Apple supplied managers, full of anxious to get to the parks guests found themselves getting off the bus at the Kirkman Rd. entrance to Universal Studios this morning". "They told us they would not let us in. There must be some glitch in our Magic Band iOS that made them unreadable there", responded one of the wayward guests.

Don't know what the problem was said one bus driver, we were just following Apple Maps on our new Company issued iPhones and we ended up here. Apple CEO Tim Cook had no comment for the Sentinel reporter, but a spokesman for Walt Disney World did confirm that a call has been made to Google to see about using their map and direction Applications in the future.

In other Park news, it has been reported that Prince Charming was none too happy this morning when he found out he would now have to wear a black turtleneck in the Florida summer heat and humidity. In addition, it has been announced that "until further notice, all 2nd performances of the Main St. Electrical Parade have been cancelled until further notice". It seems that the upgrade to iOS 6.1 has shortened battery life and a second parade is not feasible as the floats had to be converted to "non-replaceable batteries" and sufficient capacity is not available to have 2 performances.

Stay tuned for further updates on these and other news items.

Last edited by 11290; 02-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
caisland
Mouseketeer

And then you have the point that the recently widowed Mrs. Jobs is the LARGEST shareholder in Disney.
August 2009 Pop Century
August 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
March 2014 All Star Sports
caisland is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: