Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
ckrisie
Mouseketeer

Question Monorail worth it?

My DF and I are going to be honeymooning in disney, we are looking to rent DVC points and we are trying to decide between BLT and BWV. it is about $500 more for BLT for a studio standard room in each property.
He has never been to Disney before and is very excited.
I think he might like HS and EPCOT better than MK because he is kinda a foodie and love Star Wars, but we think seeing Wishes would be cool.
I think that for the room we would get at BLT we would not be able to see the fireworks from our room.

Do you think it is worth the extra $$ for BLT and the Monorail?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

I'm the biggest monorail fan on the planet, and staying on the monorail is SO WORTH IT for my family!

That said...for you I'd recommend saving the money and stay near Epcot, especially if you believe your DH will prefer Epcot/DHS. You can always stay at a monorail resort at another time...like...if you travel with kids?

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrisie View Post
My DF and I are going to be honeymooning in disney, we are looking to rent DVC points and we are trying to decide between BLT and BWV. it is about $500 more for BLT for a studio standard room in each property.
He has never been to Disney before and is very excited.
I think he might like HS and EPCOT better than MK because he is kinda a foodie and love Star Wars, but we think seeing Wishes would be cool.
I think that for the room we would get at BLT we would not be able to see the fireworks from our room.

Do you think it is worth the extra $$ for BLT and the Monorail?
No! If you were a couple with young kids, I would say BLT. But for a honeymoon, I think BWV is the way to go! Especially if your DF is a foodie! There are so many fantastic dining options in the EP area and it is so romantic to just stroll around the Boardwalk, stroll through WS at night, take the boat to DHS. For a honeymoon - BWV hands down! If you want to see Wishes, simply go to MK one night, but stay BWV! And use the extra $$ for some wonderful, romantic dinners!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

From what it sounds like, you would probably be better staying at an Epcot resort so that you're within walking distance to Epcot and HS.

For me, I love the monorail resorts... we first stayed at the GF when our DD was 4 1/2. So for us, staying on the monorail was awesome because it was a quick trip back to the room for a nap. We also spend alot more time in the MK than we do at the other parks. (Epcot would probably be our 2nd favorite) My DH is now completely a monorail snob and wants to be on the monorail when we go. He absolutely loved it. We were going to stay at BC, which I think would be amazing, but I lost that battle. (you have to understand, he's a little bit re-living the childhood he never had when we go to Disney! ) You have to decide if it's worth it for you or are you going to be staying there then hopping the monorail to go over to Epcot and HS more?

If you're going to spend most of your time over in Epcot or HS, I think staying over there would be alot more fun and alot less travel time to the parks. Plus, you have the Boardwalk restaurants and activities for at night. You can always plan a dinner at California Grill for around the time when Wishes will be going off... then you get the view of wishes plus a great meal !!

No matter where you stay, it'll be a wonderful time!! Have a very happy honeymoon!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I vote for an Epcot resort too. You can even monorail via Epcot to MK so still have the monorail.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

My thoughts

Your touring sounds like Epcot & HS are the focus, so stay at an Epcot area resort. We stayed at the Beach Club and it was very nice with easy access to EP, HS and with a 15 min walk to the front of EP, the monorail. Check out www.easywdw.com for a comparison of the WDW deluxe options.

If you need a special moment for Wishes, I agree with the OPs and have dinner at the Grand Floridian (Citricos, Narcoosee’s or Victoria & Albert’s), Contemporary (California Grill) or Poly (‘Ohana) and watch from the resort. The Poly beach is our favorite place to watch Wishes. You could also book the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party or a special Wishes Cruise…the options are many for a special Wishes celebration. Don’t exclude the simple magic of seeing Wishes from Main Street too!

A bit off topic, but a recommendation…
If you want a fantastic meal with the personal touch of wine parings and personally created courses I’d suggest booking the Flying Fish Chef’s Tasting Wine Dinner. It is hands down the best meal we’ve had at WDW (and we’ve eaten at many of the signatures including V&A’s). While not as intimate or romantic as V&As it would be downstairs or a short walk for you if you stay at the BWI, BC or YC.

See everyone in April (12-18) and Dream Cruise (18-21)!!

Mike DW DS (5 ) DMIL

First visit 1976, Pre-2010 too many off sites to remember, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

We stayed at BLT (MK view) and at BWV on our honeymoon (split stay with a stay on the Dream in between) and we enjoyed BWV and being close to epcot so much more! If we knew how much we'd love the Boardwalk, I would have stayed there on the back end (and saved tons of points).
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
ckrisie
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I think we will go with the Boardwalk it seems like the best fit for what we want to do on this trip. I was a little nervous to go to kiddie with him and I want to make sure he will want to come back. Before kids and after

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Your touring sounds like Epcot & HS are the focus, so stay at an Epcot area resort. We stayed at the Beach Club and it was very nice with easy access to EP, HS and with a 15 min walk to the front of EP, the monorail. Check out www.easywdw.com for a comparison of the WDW deluxe options.

If you need a special moment for Wishes, I agree with the OPs and have dinner at the Grand Floridian (Citricos, Narcoosee’s or Victoria & Albert’s), Contemporary (California Grill) or Poly (‘Ohana) and watch from the resort. The Poly beach is our favorite place to watch Wishes. You could also book the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party or a special Wishes Cruise…the options are many for a special Wishes celebration. Don’t exclude the simple magic of seeing Wishes from Main Street too!

A bit off topic, but a recommendation…
If you want a fantastic meal with the personal touch of wine parings and personally created courses I’d suggest booking the Flying Fish Chef’s Tasting Wine Dinner. It is hands down the best meal we’ve had at WDW (and we’ve eaten at many of the signatures including V&A’s). While not as intimate or romantic as V&As it would be downstairs or a short walk for you if you stay at the BWI, BC or YC.
Thanks for the suggestions, he wants to eat at the Flying Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
I vote for an Epcot resort too. You can even monorail via Epcot to MK so still have the monorail.
Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
From what it sounds like, you would probably be better staying at an Epcot resort so that you're within walking distance to Epcot and HS.

For me, I love the monorail resorts... we first stayed at the GF when our DD was 4 1/2. So for us, staying on the monorail was awesome because it was a quick trip back to the room for a nap. We also spend alot more time in the MK than we do at the other parks. (Epcot would probably be our 2nd favorite) My DH is now completely a monorail snob and wants to be on the monorail when we go. He absolutely loved it. We were going to stay at BC, which I think would be amazing, but I lost that battle. (you have to understand, he's a little bit re-living the childhood he never had when we go to Disney! ) You have to decide if it's worth it for you or are you going to be staying there then hopping the monorail to go over to Epcot and HS more?

If you're going to spend most of your time over in Epcot or HS, I think staying over there would be alot more fun and alot less travel time to the parks. Plus, you have the Boardwalk restaurants and activities for at night. You can always plan a dinner at California Grill for around the time when Wishes will be going off... then you get the view of wishes plus a great meal !!

No matter where you stay, it'll be a wonderful time!! Have a very happy honeymoon!!
Thank you for your help! I am super excited to be going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
No! If you were a couple with young kids, I would say BLT. But for a honeymoon, I think BWV is the way to go! Especially if your DF is a foodie! There are so many fantastic dining options in the EP area and it is so romantic to just stroll around the Boardwalk, stroll through WS at night, take the boat to DHS. For a honeymoon - BWV hands down! If you want to see Wishes, simply go to MK one night, but stay BWV! And use the extra $$ for some wonderful, romantic dinners!
We will def. see wishes! Maybe a couple of time, in the park and at the poly or GF. The choices seem endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
I'm the biggest monorail fan on the planet, and staying on the monorail is SO WORTH IT for my family!

That said...for you I'd recommend saving the money and stay near Epcot, especially if you believe your DH will prefer Epcot/DHS. You can always stay at a monorail resort at another time...like...if you travel with kids?
I like the way you think.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I own DVC contracts at both BWV and BLT and I'm going with the PPs and saying you should stay at BWV. You could even splurge and go for a Boardwalk view studio!

BW is just beautiful! And so much fun at night! When you're planning your dining, don't forget the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin, they're amazing. And plan to spend a night at Jellyrolls, the dueling piano bar at BW, it's SO MUCH FUN!

Congrats on the wedding!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

I agree on doing the Boardwalk for your honeymoon.

For Wishes book a meal at the California Grill and watch from there.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you want a BWview studio or a BLT standard studio, you need to be booking those now if your honeymoon is 327 days out. That is less than 11 months out and both those booking categories go quickly at 11 months out.

Otherwise, you might even consider a SSR villa (and I'd go with the one bedroom vs the studio - the one bedroom has a king bed and a jacuzzi tub). The spa at SSR will be reopened by then and you can easily walk over to DTD.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Peanut
DIS Veteran

BWV! No competition!! It's where my husband and I had most our honeymoon!!! We stayed at GF for the wedding but moved over to BWV after that. We had a studio and it was the best choice for newlyweds!
Pop Oct '04, CBR Oct '06, CSR Dec '07, POR Nov '08, ASMu Mar '13, POFQ Dec '14
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Well...since it will be your honeymoon, I happen to have a very special place in my heart for weddings and the BW.

Having stayed there and one of the monorail resorts, I have to admit...we hardly used the monorail. We used the ferry as it seemed much more convenient for us to go to MK. For Epcot, we walked over to the TTC from the Poly and rode the monorail there. Everything else we used the bus. So, to me, no, the monorail isn't worth it. However, there are many OTHER advantages to staying at a "monorail" resort.

But...can't beat the BW for a honeymoon...

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
mommyarewegoingback
DIS Veteran

BLT is nice, but it gets old after a day or two. We love the Epcot area. We did Beach Club for our honeymoon. It is a beautiful walk around the lake with adult restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. The swing on the sand in front of Beach Club is my happy place. (Sorry that was extra commentary huh).
-Virginai
WDW 4/97, 4/99, 5/00, 10/02, 2/03, 5/03, 10/03, 12/04, 1/05, 4/05, 7/05, 10/05, 5/06, 7/06, 11/06, 4/07, 11/07, 12/08, 7/09, 11/09 (& DCL Magic), 5/10, 8/10, 12/10, 5/11 (& DCL Dream), 12/11, 5/12, 8/12, 11/12, 4/13, 5/13, 11/13, 4/14, 7/14, 5/14, 12/14
mommyarewegoingback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
ckrisie
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your help. It was my idea to do BLT but then I listened to a podcast about the charms of BWV and I told my DF what about BWV???

He said he was going to suggest it first but then I said I wanted BLT.

I should have asked him his opinion first...... that's what marriage is about right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I own DVC contracts at both BWV and BLT and I'm going with the PPs and saying you should stay at BWV. You could even splurge and go for a Boardwalk view studio!

BW is just beautiful! And so much fun at night! When you're planning your dining, don't forget the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin, they're amazing. And plan to spend a night at Jellyrolls, the dueling piano bar at BW, it's SO MUCH FUN!

Congrats on the wedding!
Thank you for the suggestion, I was planning on JellyRolls Which resturant at the swan or dolphin do you think is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
I agree on doing the Boardwalk for your honeymoon.

For Wishes book a meal at the California Grill and watch from there.
We are hoping to make ressies at the 180 day for cali grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If you want a BWview studio or a BLT standard studio, you need to be booking those now if your honeymoon is 327 days out. That is less than 11 months out and both those booking categories go quickly at 11 months out.

Otherwise, you might even consider a SSR villa (and I'd go with the one bedroom vs the studio - the one bedroom has a king bed and a jacuzzi tub). The spa at SSR will be reopened by then and you can easily walk over to DTD.
We just but in our request for the points hopefully we are able to get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
BWV! No competition!! It's where my husband and I had most our honeymoon!!! We stayed at GF for the wedding but moved over to BWV after that. We had a studio and it was the best choice for newlyweds!
Awesome! thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
Well...since it will be your honeymoon, I happen to have a very special place in my heart for weddings and the BW.

Having stayed there and one of the monorail resorts, I have to admit...we hardly used the monorail. We used the ferry as it seemed much more convenient for us to go to MK. For Epcot, we walked over to the TTC from the Poly and rode the monorail there. Everything else we used the bus. So, to me, no, the monorail isn't worth it. However, there are many OTHER advantages to staying at a "monorail" resort.

But...can't beat the BW for a honeymoon...
Thanks! We are going to do BWV or at least try

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyarewegoingback View Post
BLT is nice, but it gets old after a day or two. We love the Epcot area. We did Beach Club for our honeymoon. It is a beautiful walk around the lake with adult restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. The swing on the sand in front of Beach Club is my happy place. (Sorry that was extra commentary huh).
-Virginai
We will def. check out the bench. YAY for happy places@

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: