Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
IbeAbitGOOFY
Dis Dad #736
Half of it would end up on my face and hands

First-time Dad Question

Here’s a question for all dads (and moms, too) that took their children to Disney when they were very young. My DW is pregnant and due in early May with out first and only child, a son. We are planning a trip to Disney in mid-January when he will be about 8 months old. I fully understand that our schedules will be totally dictated by his schedule and we are okay with that. As for the resort and food, we’ll likely stay at WL and would like to do some evenings out (with him) at restaurants. We respect those around us and would not plan on going to somewhere like V&A, places like Boma or Jiko are not out of the question.

So the question is, is doing the parks a good idea or should we plan on waiting to go a couple years later? Also didn’t know if places like Boma and Jiko were conducive to infants. Of course we would exercise good parenting and he started screaming his head off, we would walk out until he calms down.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions for an expectant father would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

The first time my dd5 went to wdw she was 8 mo and one the best trips we have had. I nursed and it was very easy and no one even knew. Great baby stations in the parks. I had a baby sling and she was with me on all the rides (with no height restrictions) we were lucky the only time she even cried the entire trip was when she saw and sat on Santa's lap in Epcot. Dh and I would take turns holding her on some of the rides. She slept in my sling and in stroller and we enjoyed strolling the parks when she did. Before the trip I practice with sling on a few outings to get her used to it!

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
a742246
older than dirt

Most of January, should be good for you and your family (infant) to stroll around the parks. I think you will have a great time!
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
fortheloveofminnie
Earning My Ears

I have four kids and the youngest I've had with me on a trip is a 5mo old. Honestly, she was the easiest of the whole group! While my older three had opinions -- which rides to do first, which characters to see, etc -- she just went along for the ride. My husband and I used a baby bjorn A LOT. She loved to either nap in the bjorn or just look around. We took her on lots of rides as well. Great baby stations in every park. If you are the type of parents (and you'll find out soon!) who just take your kids with you everywhere from the time they are born it will just seem like second nature. Honestly -- a 3 year old is MUCH harder at a Disney park.
fortheloveofminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
DznyPrnces
Mouseketeer

My DD took her first trip to Disneyland when she was not quite 4 months old. She will turn 4 next week and she's been a total of 8 or 9 times. Each time just gets better, we've truly never had a bad trip. I'm taking my DS (5 months) to Disneyland for his first time next week. And I'm taking both kids to WDW for their first time in May. DD will be 4 and DS will be 8 months. I say go for it, take lots of pictures, and have a good time!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
MichaelH
DIS Veteran/Disney Fan

My DS went his first time when he was 8 months old. My DD was about 1 her first time. Most places you eat do not mind small children. I would not worry about it it is Disney, so lots of kids. Have a good time and just take a slow pace. Most kids we would see there, in there strollers, would be taking a nap. Not my DS. He was holding on to the front of his stroller looking around. He was afraid he would miss something.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
TourPixie
Earning My Ears

I was a Disneyland Cast Member when I had my first child so call me crazy but her first time to a disney park she was 5 days old. Granted that was to get out and for friends to see her but we did do some character pictures and such. By the time my son was born we had moved out of state so his first disney trip was at 4 months old, and my youngest daughter did a week at Disney at 10 months old. Honestly it is so fun at an age when they are curious about everything. I have the best picture of my daughter grabbing Mickeys Nose. I would say go to the parks but do not stricktly plan your days go with the flow.

Last year with my 10 month old I was still nursing, so I knew where all the baby centers were and was also able to comfortably stop wherever needed. We had no problem in restaurants, and honestly it was nice there were a few times when the kids slept through a meal so my husband and I enjoyed some quiet time together. I used a Moby wrap and was able to take my daughter wherever I went. Just be relaxed and have fun and the baby will be just fine.
TourPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Boma's would be fine there are many family's with kids. Jiko might be iffy. It more upscale with a dress code.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: