Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cceandme View Post
My kids loved pin trading. We have never had problems getting pins on eBay. We always check thier reviews first. If they are selling fakes usually someone will notice and give that person a bad review.

Are you driving or flying?
We will be flying got incredible ticket prices
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean1968

We will be flying got incredible ticket prices
Be sure to check the Transportation board for car rental discount codes and discount sites. I used carrentalmomma.com for our last rental and was able to combine an Alamo Insider perk for a free additional driver. Will you be driving to the Parks or does your off-site location have a shuttle?
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Be sure to check the Transportation board for car rental discount codes and discount sites. I used carrentalmomma.com for our last rental and was able to combine an Alamo Insider perk for a free additional driver. Will you be driving to the Parks or does your off-site location have a shuttle?
Being offsite I plan to drive to the parks. I would not want to chance the trips fun and timing on the hotels schedule.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
hcipi
Earning My Ears

I try to make something special for the kids from "Mickey" (in the past it has been buzz and woody, lilo and stitch etc.

Before I go- I get those shopping bags at the disney store (about 1 dollar each). I pick up a t-shirt for each kid w/ their newest fav. character or a souvenier/beach towel or stuffed animal and some disney snacks too etc.

I buy some pins and lanyard on ebay-with their fav. character theme.

I get the autograph books and pens cheap at one of the online disney outlets.

I get disney gift cards from my local CVS and load some money that they can use to buy their own souveniers...they don't bug me because they are in charge of their own $$. Good lessons learned too

Then I pack the bags in the luggage at home, hide them.

When we arrive we either go get food or go to the pool and I pretend to forget something, run back to the room and put out the bags for when we return. You can do this trick however works for you. they are so excited and think the items were delivered to the room!!

That way....they have the lanyards and some pins to start trading right away (save big bucks that way!), have a t-shirt to wear and have a stuffed something or towel for the pool. I find they don't bug me right away for souvieners because they think the stuff came "from disney".

I started doing this when I checked online to have a florist/gift company do the exact same thing. I did it once, it was expensive and frankly I was dissappointed with the gifts-I do a much better job for less than half!!!

Hope that helps!! have fun!! Plus the easter baskets are a good place to put spray fans and other disney items too!!!

hcipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcipi View Post
I try to make something special for the kids from "Mickey" (in the past it has been buzz and woody, lilo and stitch etc.

Before I go- I get those shopping bags at the disney store (about 1 dollar each). I pick up a t-shirt for each kid w/ their newest fav. character or a souvenier/beach towel or stuffed animal and some disney snacks too etc.

I buy some pins and lanyard on ebay-with their fav. character theme.

I get the autograph books and pens cheap at one of the online disney outlets.

I get disney gift cards from my local CVS and load some money that they can use to buy their own souveniers...they don't bug me because they are in charge of their own $$. Good lessons learned too

Then I pack the bags in the luggage at home, hide them.

When we arrive we either go get food or go to the pool and I pretend to forget something, run back to the room and put out the bags for when we return. You can do this trick however works for you. they are so excited and think the items were delivered to the room!!

That way....they have the lanyards and some pins to start trading right away (save big bucks that way!), have a t-shirt to wear and have a stuffed something or towel for the pool. I find they don't bug me right away for souvieners because they think the stuff came "from disney".

I started doing this when I checked online to have a florist/gift company do the exact same thing. I did it once, it was expensive and frankly I was dissappointed with the gifts-I do a much better job for less than half!!!

Hope that helps!! have fun!! Plus the easter baskets are a good place to put spray fans and other disney items too!!!

Excellent tips
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

So much fun stuff!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
jkc0325
Mouseketeer

I'd recommend going with an autograph book for your 2yo. It's a great ice breaker for approaching the characters and much cheaper than buying pins for trading.

I hope you have a magical trip!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc0325
I'd recommend going with an autograph book for your 2yo.
I hope you have a magical trip!!!!
To expand on this, for a lasting memory for your family, what if you also had an autograph book and on the opposite page of each autograph, you add your favorite character memory? Say, opposite of Mickey's autograph you can jot down your memories of when your 17 year old and your two year old met Mickey for the first time. Or, how you felt when you first met Mickey. I know our older DD, who is now 27, enjoys it when we recount how she acted when she met Mickey for the first time! This would be a very treasured memento of your trip.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean

Last edited by Itinkso; 02-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
emelee1053
Earning My Ears

autograph books

If you pm me your email address I have a bunch of 4 x 6 autograph cards I made up that can be printed off and put in an album with pictures taken with the characters. We also have a salvage store locally where we bought Disney pens and sunglasses for $1 - maybe last season 's but the kids would never know. Putting bring your own snacks in Disney - design sandwich or party bags make the kids happy. And don't forget some of the resorts do campfires and movies that are free. Our kids loved the ones at Ft. Wilderness. You can bring your own s 'more fixings. Boardwalk has a satellite parking lot that's free if there is space available and you can walk from there to the resort bus stop or take the boat to Hollywood studios or the walkway to Epcot international gateway. Best wishes for a trip to remember!
emelee1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

I too am researching budget ideas for our trip on April. As a Costco member, they had the best car rental price. For park tickets, some sites have "buy 3 days, get 2 free." Undercovertourist has good prices but I found Orbitz doesn't appear to charge tax or fees, which sometimes can be $20/person.
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention, if you have a Target credit card, you get 5% off Disney gift cards.
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliobear View Post
I forgot to mention, if you have a Target credit card, you get 5% off Disney gift cards.
I second this. The red card gets you 5% off AND you can pre-buy gift cards throughout the year so the cost doesn't fall all at once. I'm in Milwaukee and they sell them in the local Target here.

If you are considering photopass there is a Facebook photopass share group. I just joined a share and am paying only around $20 for photopass.

If your airline charges for checked luggage try to pack everything in carryon's. Since your youngest is 2 I assume you had to buy them a ticket so don't forget they get thier own carry on as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
spicycrab
Mouseketeer

Since you might opt out of pin trading what about another family activity like a photo scavenger hunt? You could pre plan the list ahead of time and put obvious things on it like "picture with Mickey" but you could also add things that you are hoping to get out of the trip like "surprised face" or "happy family". It would be free and you could make a great photobook on shutterfly or other site when you got home.
spicycrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

we don't stay off site so I can't help you there but most our trips I try to save as much money as possible but don't want to completely skip out on things.

I save $ by getting to tickets from undercovertourist(tax is included in price you see buy with discount secret discount)

If there is a holiday or b-day coming up I give my kids a Disney GC , or I ask a grandparent to this gives them there own spending $ and they don't ask me for $. We are leaving day after Easter this year so I will have someting in there baskets that can use on the trip

We always bring re-fillable water bottles in park (yes I know you can get free from cs and we do) I have ones that easly attach to back pack and or stroller and we fill them throughout day I added this up one year that we spent around $50 just in drinks in one day, so I decided to use that money elsewhere.

I share a cs meal with my dh or my dd5 for lunch and dinner. Depending on where we eat, we usually have so much food left over if we each get a meal that we have found sharing to be plenty of food for us (except for DS15 he out eats us all) there have been some places where we all got th kids meal and was plenty for us.

We bring in snacks to tied us between meals but we do have a few of our favorites in the parks we have to have I usually plan $15 a day for snacks for all of us.

I dont buy gifts in advance from Target, Disney Store, etc. I know this might be cheaper but I have found that if I do that then they have that stuff andthen with there $ buy more and we just don't need that much stuff so with there spending money they get plenty. If I purchase anything in advance it will be snacks, small activity book for dd for the lines or car ride, disney gc, a bathing suit and a disney shirts for trip (for Easter basket or b-day)

We eat in our hotel room for breakfast this save alot of time and $. Even if I stayed off site I still would probably eat at the parks I dont find there prices to be too terribly expensive we live in a tourist area so we are use to it I guess. Plus I wouldn't want to give up park time to leave and go go eat to save a few dollars. Our sharing and food choices usually help us save alot if we don't do any sit down dinners we can eat for under $400 for a week snacks included.

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

All amazing tips, very glad I posted for help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: