Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #31
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Does your camera shoot multiple sizes, or does the Eye-Fi create a smaller version when it sends it over? I'm thinking about shooting in RAW/jpeg mode with my dSLR and just transfer some of the jpegs onto my iPad.
For my DSLR cameras, I'm also shooting RAW + JPEG. I have the cameras set to create a full quality RAW file, but a lower quality JPEG. The Eye-Fi is configured to transfer only the JPEGs. I load the RAW files by connecting the camera directly to the laptop.

On my P&S camera, there is no option for RAW so the only option is to save the highest quality JPEGs. I don't take a whole lot of pictures with this camera, though. It's mostly just used at the pools and waterparks because it's waterproof. I'm hoping the photos from this camera won't fill the memory on the tablet too quickly.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 02-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #32
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
If you're robbed they may take all your hardware and you'd loose your on site backups as well. I stash a drive that's updated about once a month off site. It doesn't have to be a safety deposit box, a relatives house, at work, anyplace it's secure will work. I have one in my locker in the darkroom on campus, among other places.
Truth.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick

If you're robbed they may take all your hardware and you'd loose your on site backups as well. I stash a drive that's updated about once a month off site. It doesn't have to be a safety deposit box, a relatives house, at work, anyplace it's secure will work. I have one in my locker in the darkroom on campus, among other places.
My process is similar to yours. I work from home so the safety deposit box is more convenient and more importantly less than five minutes away. I drop off a backup of all my work files ever two or three weeks and store any new "personal" photos on those drives. Then every 3 months I take my personal offsite drive home, update it and drop it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser
I ahve plenty of redundant back up on my home system. 3 copies, 2 local, 1 off site accross multiple drives.

but on vacation, I risk it. Every picture goes onto my laptop. Then I reformat the cards.

For the most part. while on vacation, I am risking it with just a single copy and no back up.
In my case our last trip was my nieces first trip to WDW and they invited me along so the safety of those photos were even more important to me. I also figured their was a good chance that might have been my only visit to WDW! Of course two years latter we are returning (June 2013)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave
For my DSLR cameras, I'm also shooting RAW + JPEG. I have the cameras set to create a full quality RAW file, but a lower quality JPEG. The Eye-Fi is configured to transfer only the JPEGs. I load the RAW files by connecting the camera directly to the laptop.
I wish my canon t4i had the option of selecting a smaller sized jpeg, but the RAW/jpeg option only offers the full resolution. I've thought about getting an Eye-fi in the past, I may want to look into them again. I do like the fact that more and more cameras are offering built in wi-fi now.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
Jonasphill
Earning My Ears

Our Disney World/ Vacation procedure goes as follows.
Leave the park.....remove cards ( 32gb each camera) put fresh cards in( freshly formated)....Copy the cards to the laptop and import to lightroom..... Copy the laptop files and backup Lightroom catalog to an external hard drive......remove the hard drive and put it in the rear storage compartment of our SUV.....then we format the cards used for the previous day, getting it ready for the next rotation..... We normally have 3 camera's with us so we rotate 9 cards ( 3 for each camera)......... So far we have not lost any pictures, yet........knock on wood!

Also invest in a usb 3.0 card reader..... Super fast!!!!!

Last edited by Jonasphill; 03-08-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Jonasphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #35
wkrider
DVC home: Wilderness Lodge Villas

I take a laptop, 500 gig portable storage and a 1 tb portable storage. every night I back them up to both and on the laptop, 3 copies. When I get home I transfer them to a 1 tb internal drive that only my media goes on and an external 500 gig mybook. I then edit what I want to edit and upload all the "keepers" to my smugmug.

Pentax K 100D, Pentax K-7, a lot of Glass.
wkrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: