Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
and a third at the bank in a safe deposit box.
My photos are definitely not that valuable I really wish they were though
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies

My photos are definitely not that valuable I really wish they were though
Mine are not either , but the safe deposit is for work and it has the room for another drive.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
hakepb
DIS Veteran

If my home was destroyed, I would obviously be most concernd with people and pets, but after living things would be memories like photos.
You can buy replacements for stuff, but not older photos.

I'm not sure i would start a safe deposit box for photos, as some form of off-site storage should be good enough.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
mrcricket
DIS Veteran

I back them up to my Ipad.

My Smugmug Photo Site: http://jriceco.smugmug.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket View Post
I back them up to my Ipad.
If mine had more than 32gb I'd agree, but I'm not sure a 64gb would even be enough for me? Now if you could attach an external drive to an ipad...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
If my home was destroyed, I would obviously be most concernd with people and pets, but after living things would be memories like photos.
You can buy replacements for stuff, but not older photos.

I'm not sure i would start a safe deposit box for photos, as some form of off-site storage should be good enough.
If you're robbed they may take all your hardware and you'd loose your on site backups as well. I stash a drive that's updated about once a month off site. It doesn't have to be a safety deposit box, a relatives house, at work, anyplace it's secure will work. I have one in my locker in the darkroom on campus, among other places.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
mrcricket
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
If you're robbed they may take all your hardware and you'd loose your on site backups as well. I stash a drive that's updated about once a month off site. It doesn't have to be a safety deposit box, a relatives house, at work, anyplace it's secure will work. I have one in my locker in the darkroom on campus, among other places.
I use CrashPlan for offsite backup. It's awesome. And I can access the files anywhere, even my iPad.

My Smugmug Photo Site: http://jriceco.smugmug.com/
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
TC09
Hidden Mickey?

The hotel we stay in usually has a computer that guests can use. I bring two portable hard drives with me on our trips and back up my photos to those drives every night and reformat the memory cards when I'm ready to start shooting again.

When we get home I back them up to a third hard drive, but after reading this thread, I may start having the third hard drive offsite somewhere. Also thinking about picking up a netbook so I'm able to the backups in the hotel room.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09 View Post
The hotel we stay in usually has a computer that guests can use. I bring two portable hard drives with me on our trips and back up my photos to those drives every night and reformat the memory cards when I'm ready to start shooting again.

When we get home I back them up to a third hard drive, but after reading this thread, I may start having the third hard drive offsite somewhere. Also thinking about picking up a netbook so I'm able to the backups in the hotel room.
FWIW, in a cyber-security presentation, the speaker loves to run a virus/key logger scan on hotel provided computers. He says he's rarely disapointed, and generally finds a scary amount of computer bugs/Trojans... Never type your password or any personal information on one of those computers, someone will be saving every keystroke.
(If you must use a public computer, there are programs "Neo Safe Keys" that let you copy and paste every letter, so usually a bad guy is only recording a useless "click, click...")
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
klmall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Nothing fancy or high-tech here. I usually don't even bring a computer along. I just have a LOT of cards. I shoot RAW, and I like to shoot without concern for running out of memory. I keep 2 card wallets physically attached to my backpack by a rope lanyard (but kept inside one of the zippered backpack compartments). One is for empty cards, one is for full cards. Since my cash and equipment is in that backpack, it never leaves my side.

Once I get home I put them on my computer, but keep them on my cards as long into the year as I can before our next trip. By then, I have edited and backed up the photos to a second hard drive.
Ditto here but sometimes I bring my laptop also as a backup device.

For those of us who use RAW and take hundreds of shots per day uploading to a site isn't an option at WDW. First of all, RAW is huge in amount and
second, many photo hosting sites won't allow RAW uploading and third, Disney's internet speed is atrocious and too slow for me to use for anything but email and reference.

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmall View Post

For those of us who use RAW and take hundreds of shots per day uploading to a site isn't an option at WDW. First of all, RAW is huge in amount and
second, many photo hosting sites won't allow RAW uploading and third, Disney's internet speed is atrocious and too slow for me to use for anything but email and reference.
How true about the Internet speed.
Free WiFi ruined Disney Internet 10x faster than Free Dining ruined the restaurants
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmall View Post

I only upload jpegs and I use my 4G hotspot which has been for me a ton faster than WDW wifi.

Good point on the RAW upload to a photo hosting sites. It should also be noted that nearly all photo hosting sites change your files in the name of "optimization". That's why you're better off using a file upload site if you want to try and keep the original file unchanged or if you want to store RAW files.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I have an older laptop that stays in our Owner's Locker so I don't have to pack one for WDW trips. I have Lightroom installed on that laptop. At the beginning of a trip, I clear the catalog and delete all photos from previous trips. (The hard drive isn't very large.) Each day, I import photos from all cameras. During the imports, Lightroom is set to put one copy of the photos on the hard drive and a duplicate copy on one of the external drives. I then format and reuse the memory cards.

On the last day, I export the Lightroom Catalog onto the second external hard drive. I set the option to copy image files in addition to the catalog itself. This is what I'll import into Lightroom when I get home. If this fails, I have the second drive with the unedited photo files. All I'd loose is any edits I made while at Disney.

One external hard drive travels in my camera bag, the second goes in a different carry-on. If by some chance both external drives are lost or damaged in transit, I always have the knowledge that the pictures are still on the laptop in storage.

Something new I'll try on my next trip is a backup of an S2 JPEG file to my tablet. I have Eye-Fi cards that are set to direct connect to the tablet and automatically transfer these lower-resolution versions of the photos. This is primarily so we can look through the photos on the tablet during the trip and on the flight home, but it does also serve as a secondary backup plan. The S2 files are small enough to transfer quickly, yet have plenty of resolution for viewing on a screen. If my tablet is able to get enough bandwidth while in the room, I have the Eye-Fi app also set to send copies of the photos to PhotoBucket. That would be yet another backup.

At home, I have a three-tier backup. I have Norton 360 set up to perform a backup of each of our computers nightly. This is done to an on-site networked disk tower. This tower is hidden away in a closet, and wouldn't be immediately found by a burglar. I then have CrashPlan loaded on each computer, which creates a continuous backup to the cloud. I also have CrashPlan set up to create a back up of each machine to an external hard drive once a month. I keep this in my car. (Yeah, not the best place to keep it, but at least it's out of the house if there's a fire.)

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 02-13-2013 at 10:28 AM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
On the last day, I export the Lightroom Catalog onto the second external hard drive. I set the option to copy image files in addition to the catalog itself. This is what I'll import into Lightroom when I get home. If this fails, I have the second drive with the unedited photo files. All I'd loose is any edits I made while at Disney.

One external hard drive travels in my camera bag, the second goes in a different carry-on. If by some chance both external drives are lost or damaged in transit, I always have the knowledge that the pictures are still on the laptop in storage.
My parents will also be with us part of our trip, 2 days later, so my dad may bring his macbook air with him which would work out better than the netbook. It would also let me use lightroom also, much faster and display photos much better than the netbook. I could probably borrow his air, but I don't want to be responsible, if he brings it he's responsible.

The second portable drive is interesting though. If I do that I could probably leave one with them to bring back since they leave two days later. In the past I have kept my SD cards and drives packed in different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Something new I'll try on my next trip is a backup of an S2 JPEG file to my tablet. I have Eye-Fi cards that are set to direct connect to the tablet and automatically transfer these lower-resolution versions of the photos. This is primarily so we can look through the photos on the tablet during the trip and on the flight home, but it does also serve as a secondary backup plan. The S2 files are small enough to transfer quickly, yet have plenty of resolution for viewing on a screen. If my tablet is able to get enough bandwidth while in the room, I have the Eye-Fi app also set to send copies of the photos to PhotoBucket. That would be yet another backup.
Does your camera shoot multiple sizes, or does the Eye-Fi create a smaller version when it sends it over? I'm thinking about shooting in RAW/jpeg mode with my dSLR and just transfer some of the jpegs onto my iPad.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

I ahve plenty of redundant back up on my home system. 3 copies, 2 local, 1 off site accross multiple drives.

but on vacation, I risk it. Every picture goes onto my laptop. Then I reformat the cards.

For the most part. while on vacation, I am risking it with just a single copy and no back up.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2