Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

I have so many random questions... Help!

We are going on the z7 day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy- stops: Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Castaway Cay...

- do we tip when we drop off our bags before boarding the ship?
- how many are in the port adventure groups?
- do we give tips for port adventure guides?
- which port adventures are most popular?
- do we make a reservation for mini golf on the ship?
- I know about dinner rotations- what about breakfast and Lunch?
- is one dinner rotation more popular then another?
- room service- Food is free? we just tip? Order 24-7? Room service Breakfast castaway cay- how early should we order it for?
- should we get a water proof container for our cards and cash?
- spa villa worth it?
- is the daily rainforest spa pass worth it? Why?
- what are some MUST DO's on the ship or ports?
- I've seen "this spot is saved" for castaway cay beach on etsy.com - do people respect the signs or ignore? Does Disney allow saved seats?
- is a cd of all the pictures from shutters worth the price?
Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Hello! Sounds like a wonderful cruise. I am afraid I will only be able to help with a few of your questions.

1. I, for one, have always tipped when dropping off my bags at the cruise port.
3. I have read that it is recommended to tip for the outstanding service you are sure to have.
5. No reservations were necessary on the Dream in August 2011.
6. Some dining rooms and the buffet will be open for breakfast and lunch. The hours will be noted in the navigator (the little daily newspaper of events). Just show up during those hours and you will be seated and taken care of I never found them crowded.
7. Some people like to theme the restaurant to the 'night' for example, being in a specific restaurant on 'formal' night.
8. Tips are always recommended for Room service. Everything is free apart from alcohol, soda, pre-packaged snacks (someone please correct me if I am mistaken).
9. I had one, and it leaked anyway YMMV

As for the rest, I am afraid I have no experience to help you
Have a great cruise!

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Denise View Post
We are going on the z7 day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy- stops: Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Castaway Cay...

- do we tip when we drop off our bags before boarding the ship? Only if you want to see your bags again.
- how many are in the port adventure groups? Varies from adventure to adventure. some as small as 12; others are several bus loads.
- do we give tips for port adventure guides? If they're fabulous, and they usually are.
- is one dinner rotation more popular then another? No. But there are usually more people at the main (early) seating.
- what are some MUST DO's on the ship or ports? The Aqua Duck, and the shows in the Animator's Palate restaurant during dinner.
- I've seen "this spot is saved" for castaway cay beach on etsy.com - do people respect the signs or ignore? Usually respect unless you're gone all day without using the area.
Does Disney allow saved seats? No, but people save them anyway.
- is a cd of all the pictures from shutters worth the price? Nope.

Have a great cruise!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Princess Denise;47480498]We are going on the z7 day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy- stops: Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Castaway Cay...

- do we tip when we drop off our bags before boarding the ship?Yes, just like porters at the airport.
- how many are in the port adventure groups?Depends on the adventure, but usually 1 bus load full.
- do we give tips for port adventure guides?you don't have to, but if they're wonderful I usually do.
- I know about dinner rotations- what about breakfast and Lunch?don't know, usually ate b-fast in the buffet or room service.
- room service- Food is free? we just tip? Order 24-7? yup, free, just order and tip.

[QUOTE]

I answered the ones I could.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for helping with my random questions! You are all wonderful!!
Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="Princess Denise"]We are going on the z7 day Western Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy- stops: Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, & Castaway Cay...

1. Yes usually $1-2 per bag
2. The port adventure groups can be quiet large. Especially the ones for sting
Ray city. I felt bad for the 100+ people on the ships port adventure group since there was only 6 people in my privately booked sting ray city adventure
3. I think it is nice to tip the guides. Especially if they made your time extra special.
4. which port adventures are most popular? Not sure about this one.
5. No reservation needed for mini golf, but it does get quite busy with lines. We went after our excursion on grand cayman day & there was nobody up there.
6. There are no rotations for lunch. You can just check your daily navigator to see what options are available that day.
7. I have heard talk about certain rotations wing more popular, and I know that a lot of people prefer main dining at 545. We had ERAERRA 2nd dining and quite enjoyed that. I think we were in Royal Court for both formal & semi-formal night.
8. There are a few things that cost extra from room service that others have mentioned. Otherwise yep all you need is a tip.
9. Didn't use a water proof container.
10. Didn't go to spa, as there was so much other things to do on our first cruise.
11. I didn't use the rainforest pass for the same reason listed above. I do plan to buy the couples week pass for next cruise though. The private hot tub & heated loungers sound great!
12. Must Dos: sting ray city ( I would suggest a private tour though... Way more personal of experience) midship detective agency, aqua duck (although IMO it was super tame, but do it at least once), mini-golf, Aladdin show, & others I can't think of.
13. There is a no spot saving policy on the ship, so I probably wouldn't waste money on the sign although it does sound super cute. Also no spot saving on pool decks or in the theater.
14. Honestly I think the photo cd is worth it if you make a conscious decision to take advantage of all of the photo ops you can. There were many photos I had taken with my camera that weren't 1/2 as good as the ones they took. We kinda blew off the picture taking, but next time I am going to get a lot of pictures taken & buy the cd.

Congrats on booking your cruise! The Fantasy is amazing!! You will certainly enjoy regardless of what port adventures and activities you decide to do!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: