Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #91
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Day 6 - At Sea

Well, you know the completely un-stellar way this day started the the whole laundry/FE delivery stress. Fortunately, it improved dramatically from there.

We had not yet tried a sit-down breakfast, so we elected to try Enchanted Garden, which was not a roaring success, largely due to a not-listening 4.5 year old (understandable, but not pleasant), and the fact it was basically just a buffet- I gather we might have had menu options at Royal Court? I was too tired to care, though, so I just ate, and made a bee-line for the rainforest room.

Rainforest room

I had my pass, and I had thought about using it earlier in the week, but I always ended up doing mysteries or something. At this point, I thought I deserved it after running all around the ship all morning, so today was the day. I was worried the place would be crowded on the last at-sea day, but nope!

Basically, you check in -you trade your KTTW for a fancy-dancy bracelet. There is a very nice change room with key-pad lockers (well - they're kind of too fancy to call lockers, but I don't know what else to call them), so you can lock up your stuff. You wrap yourself in a nice robe, grab a nice towel, (and in my case, my Kobo) and hop across the hall to the Rainforest room.

I didn't get any explanation, but I didn't really feel it was needed ... I could see the heated loungers, and I made a beeline there. I nabbed an end lounger and .... LOUNGED. (Well, I read my book, and snoozed, and it was good.) I did this for over an hour, which is an eternity back in my usual work-world.

Fear not! I was not a recliner hog - there were always 2 or 3 loungers free - in fact, by the end of my hour and a bit - I was the only one there. (Except for when I fell asleep, I paid attention, actually.)

At this point, I figured I was due for a change in scene - so I headed to the hot-tubs, also free. These tubs look out over the ocean, so it was amazing. I, well, lounged, for (ahem) more than the recommended time you're supposed to stay in there, but I felt grand.

After all that exertion, I needed to lounge on the loungers again, so I did.

Finally, at the 2.5 hour mark, I felt I was well and truly cooked. All FE silliness was but a distant memory. I floated off my recliner, and examined the showers.

So - I don't really get these - first, because I HATE cold showers with a passion - in fact, I hate everything except for verging on too hot showers. Fortunately, one of these fit the bill. I'm also mildly scent-sensitive, so the scents wafting about, while mild, didn't do anything for me. I abandoned shower (not ship), and headed to the sauna for my final baking.

I headed back to the change room for a lovely (hot) shower in a BIG SHOWER (yes, this was exciting), before getting myself geared up to head back into the real world.

They remind you that you can go back, but I felt I got my money's worth that morning - after 5 days of a whole lot of people, this introvert found this break with hardly anyone around totally amazing. There was also ... NO SCHEDULE.

The rest of the at-sea day until Palo

Meanwhile, back in man-land, they finished up breakfast and ... can you guess ... did another mystery. At this point, Dude knows most of the clues and keeps proving helpful (annoying?) tips to people who are only on their 2nd or 3rd caper.

I caught up with DH, who was lounging (good choice) on Deck 4, having engineered the mystery to end near the kid's club (no flies on DH most of the time). I joined DH in a lounger and we lattéd up - a necessary step for me, or I would have fallen back asleep again.

Eventually, we decided to lunch at Cabanas, so we extricated the boy and fed him. After lunch, DH needed a nap (his morning was far more strenuous than mine), so Conor and I ... DID ANOTHER MYSTERY. I set a personal goal to see how quickly we could do this one (heck, we were experts at this point) - I think it was less than 1 hour beginning to end - motivated in no small part on Conor's side by the promise of ice cream. (Please send the parent of the year awards to my home address...)

We woke up DH, and headed to Deck 11 for some swim time. I found I was (amazingly) lounged out, so I decided to head back to the room to pre-pack. I had a productive 90 minutes or so (well, OK, I had a productive 30 minutes, and then it seemed my Kobo needed to be read on the balcony for an hour).

Turns out, Conor was in the Mickey pool the whole time - playing with other kids, and watching the parts of the movies he could stand on the big screen. (This amounted to about 50% of any given Disney movie.)

Here he is, very carefully jumping in the pool - it was kid-soup, but not, as DH said, the kid-soup chowder .. more like kid-soup broth-based soup - less thick.

We reeled the fish in, and got him dried off and warmed up with the usual cuddles - best part of vacation.

He was also very excited to be getting room service for supper that night, in anticipation of his parents abandoning him to hit up Palo. Hey - whatever makes you happy, bud!

So, yes, next up - Palo.

Last edited by Conorama; 02-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Conorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #92
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Day 6 - Palo

Attentive readers will recall we had 2 bookings for adult dining- Palo on Thursday, Remy on Friday. In the end, we decided to cancel Remy since we didn't want Conor at the kids club too late on our last night, given that we would have an early start to a long day of traveling the next day.

So, this was our big night.

Conor enjoyed his personal dining experience in his stateroom, before heading to the club. We still weren't sure he would make it through the whole time, given that at 8:00 p.m. he tends to turn into an angry pumpkin, but we were hoping that he would be having enough fun that he would forget to transform.

(To be on the safe side, we told the CM who was checking him in that we were heading to Palo, and she said they would try not to call us. )

We had the unfashionably early reservation time of 6:00 p.m., and we arrived before 6:00 p.m. - yep, we're that cool. Milos was our waiter and he was fantastic.

***Warning - we have no food photos - we purposefully decided to just sit and enjoy the food, and that's what we did. We're old-school that way!***

Long story short, we had an AMAZING meal. Basically, I just ordered what Milos recommended, and this worked out really, really well.

After the stupendously yummy antipasto selection (I could marry the prosciutto, I think), we got down to the real eating...

I had:
  • Pesto marinated shrimp - awesome
  • Lobster ravioli (shared with DH - just to taste - HEAVEN on a plate)
  • Ahi Tuna with Black Truffle potato and artichoke - WOW. I was in love with the potatoes - ready to leave the prosciutto for spuds - who knew?

DH had:
  • The portobello mushroom appetizer - that was one happy mushroom
  • Shared Lobster ravioli with me
  • And, and humungous portion of osso bucco (the size of which they warned him about) - and he was a happy, happy man.

Somewhere around the Lobster ravioli part of things, Milos checked to see if we wanted the chocolate soufflé - and not being silly, we said yes. He also told us we needed another dessert - (chocolate something) to go with our incredible wine.

The wine ... was unbelievably good. It was $80 (we had decided to splurge due to cancelling Remy) - an amarone valpolicella, as recommended by Milos. WOW. I'm not good at explaining wine at all, except to say this just got better as we drank it (and not because of my infamous low tolerance) - I couldn't handle any of the chocolate dessert (too preoccupied with my soufflé, to be honest - and trying not to drool), but DH manned up and agreed that the combo of the two was an incredible experience.

Milos asked if they could try the new label removing process they had just heard about on our bottle - with fair warning that it might not work. Being nearly comatose with happiness, we agreed, and, happily, it worked - so we have a nice laminated label to remember Palo by. I'm not big on souvenirs, but this was perfect (and easy to pack).

We had been warned that it could take a very long time at Palo, but it didn't - maybe because we were the dorks who showed up at 5:50?

Anyhow - we were able to round up Conor at 8:30, so not too far into the transformation zone, and we got him back to our room, for the now familiar - bathroom, bath, books, bed - we are nothing if not stuck with our routine! This evening's variation was interrupted by an entirely predictable meltdown - probably over which PJs he was to wear, or the alignment of the planets, or the pattern on the carpet - really, at that point, it could take a speck of dust to set him off... which is why we don't have him stay up late very often at all!

DH and I collapsed shortly after that - vowing to not eat (much) the next day.

Next: Day 7 and Castaway Cay ... which means ... beach!
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #93
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Reflections on Day 5 (forgot!) and Day 6

Day 5 - San Juan Day

Overall, a very good day - the port adventure was good, but I would have preferred to hit the beach much earlier, and it was a bit disappointing that we only got a little bit of time on the beach, but fortunately, the pool-time helped a lot. We did get back in time for a mini-tour of San Juan, but we would have liked more.

Day 6 - At Sea Day

Although I would have preferred a much better start to this one, it was mostly self-inflicted, so I can only blame myself - no one forced me to FE!

We enjoyed the lack of schedule again, but we were definitely getting more sensitive to the constant crowds on at sea days.

Palo was truly amazing - we decided that since we had to give up one reservation, and we'd never been to either, there was no need to jump right up to Remy. As I said, it allowed us to really enjoy a great bottle of wine, and, heck, to recoup some of the wretched internet costs... Happily, Conor was happy at the club, so we could go - which we actually weren't counting on at all, which is why we booked so late in the week. We really take these vacations to spend time with him, so we weren't going to make him miserable so we could go out for supper once.

Which leads me to a Disney point - although we knew in advance, we were a bit disappointed at lack of in-room babysitting. We have done this a few times now on vacation - always near the end of the trip, and it works much better for us - Conor won't get over-tired as he can fall asleep even with the light on. Before anyone comments, note that we don't have family who can help with Conor, so we just plain have to pay for babysitting in general. And, we are actually willing to pay quite a bit for it. If we don't feel comfortable with the people who do it, we don't pay for it. Just a random thought.

Pillow Case

However, I'll end this on a happy Disney note - the pillow case came back a day early, and Conor was over-the-moon excited. Here it is, in all its glory.

Note- not a princess in sight. Just the classics, plus Jake. Conor's only objection is that Donald Duck wrote that he was #1, and Conor feels very strongly that Mickey is #1. We have convinced him (I hope) that Donald was just being silly...

If you're interested, I did benefit from Disboard wisdom here. A) Buy fabric markers, not Sharpies (unless there are fabric sharpies? We don't have them here in small town Ontario). What you see is a fully washed pillow case (granted, only 2 weeks old) B) Take out the yellow one, or any that have too light a colour.

DH just told them to avoid princesses, keep to the classics, but add Jake.

He sleeps on it every night (despite him telling us most nights about how Donald shouldn't have put #1...) , AND, it has achieved the impossible - convinced him to actually keep the pillow case on the pillow - a constant struggle around here.

And, with that ... good night!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #94
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3
Mouseketeer

Loving this report.. Excited to hear about CC! Lol... I am following cblack's report also. I also followed her PTR. Too funny. I also love the picture of Conor in the pool with his blue hoodie! That kid is seriously adorable!
PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #95
Ensusieasm
Earning My Ears

Smile Thank you!

Thank You so much for your response to all my questions about Isla Verde. It will help with our planning so much! Just 18 days till we fly to Orlando. We are staying at the Hyatt inside the airport and taking the Disney bus just like you did! Thanks for today's report... Cold showers sound really really bad....think I will avoid them! Can't wait for your next installment.... because we have two reservations for Palo...brunch and dinner.
Thanks again!
Ensusieasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #96
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON PARTY OF 3 View Post
Loving this report.. Excited to hear about CC! Lol... I am following cblack's report also. I also followed her PTR. Too funny. I also love the picture of Conor in the pool with his blue hoodie! That kid is seriously adorable!
Thanks! Yep - I learned a lot from cblack - and wise woman that she was, she didn't FE on this cruise having done it on her first ... I should have paid attention! Jayden is as spunky as she is cute. In fact, she was the recipient of many of my princess FE gifts, plus some we had brought for her, knowing they weren't doing the FE thing. (Cassie organized the FB group - it was my way of paying things forward!)

I love that photo too - it's so hard to get him not moving/not talking/not making a goofy smile anymore, so I really enjoy the ones we get. He is always happy in a pool, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensusieasm View Post
Thank You so much for your response to all my questions about Isla Verde. It will help with our planning so much! Just 18 days till we fly to Orlando. We are staying at the Hyatt inside the airport and taking the Disney bus just like you did! Thanks for today's report... Cold showers sound really really bad....think I will avoid them! Can't wait for your next installment.... because we have two reservations for Palo...brunch and dinner.
Thanks again!
You're welcome. The convenience of the Hyatt/Mickey bus combo is hard to beat. I should probably clarify that some of the showers were hot in the Rainforest room (might be unclear in my report) ... but it's more that I just don't get the cold/hot/cold thing.. just hot, hot, hot for me, in case that wasn't clear from my heated lounger obsession.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #97
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - Castaway Cay Day - but not Castaway Cay yet

I kept my usual morning tryst with Robert from Transylvania. At some point in the week, he mentioned that it was unusual for a wife to come and get coffee for her husband - it was usually the other way around.

I immediately reported this to DH, who appeared to fail to appreciate how wonderful I was, pointing out that a) I get up early anyway, and b) it's not like I make a special trip for him...

Hmph. I like Robert better.

An homage to my Kobo e-reader

May I briefly segue into a rave about my Kobo? Best technology ever for vacation, in my mind. Every year, about a month before vacation, I ask my FB friends/family (and I'm overwhelmed with friends and relatives with English and other language degrees and other friends who are just passionate about books) for reading recommendations. My requirements are simple:
  • Must have a reasonably happy ending (hey- I'm on vacation -who wants to be depressed)?
  • Must have a plot of reasonable quality (I may be on vacation, but there is no need to park my brain)
  • Must not be historic in nature unless it's REALLY good (again - my brain does not want to work too hard, and I find historic novels make me think too much on vacation)

Mysteries are good, usually. Canadian authors are preferred, but not essential (go Canada!) and funny is a huge bonus.

So far, my FB friends have not disappointed - I reciprocate by telling them what I've read in the last year in my vacation genre. Now that I am Kobo-ed up, it's even better - I can cram a whack of books on there, and it takes virtually no luggage space. It's not so expensive that I fret about taking it to the beach - so far, it has survived 18 months and many different episodes of me dropping it, sitting on it, losing it, and generally mistreating it. At this point, if it dies, it should be able to die happy, knowing how much joy it brought in my life. (Way better than the year I was reading the "The Girl Who" series - great vacation books, but MAN, a pain in the butt to pack!) It has saved my sanity on flights more that I can count.

Anyhow - every morning on the cruise, Kobo and I spent some quality time together. Heck - Kobo got compliments when we were in the Rainforest Room.

OK, I'll stop now.

Prepping for Castaway Cay

(I'm wiped after skating in freezing weather with Conor today, so I won't quite get us onto the beach tonight - sorry!)

We let Conor sleep in that day - we have our personal laws about traveling - unless unavoidable, NO ONE in the family should be traveling while sleep-deprived. (We'll just not discuss that this rule was invented after we dropped a 9-month-old Conor out of the stroller in February, in his sleeper, at 5:00 a.m., at our local airport. Fortunately, it wasn't a big drop, and he was too stunned at his parents' idiocy to complain. Thus - The Rule, that we are, of course, NOT discussing.)

We also had some discussions about what to wear- our trusty Navigator told us it might only be about 18-20 degrees, and when I was out on deck getting caffeine at 6:00 a.m., it was COLD - well, not Canada cold, but, you know, about 12 degrees or so, I think - I was definitely happy for my jacket.

Fortunately, frequent excursions on our balcony told us it was warming up - gotta love that keen-o Canadian weather sense, so we didn't bring a parka with us.

In fact, it was warm enough that we agreed to Conor's request that he go to Cabana's in his PJs - he had seen a number of kids doing this (he notices EVERYTHING - it's a problem) and he was keen to try. So, off he went in his PJs, pleased as punch, and pointing out said PJs to each CM who paused for 3 nanoseconds and allowed him to start talking.

After breakfast, DH announced he had found something VERY COOL, so, like lemmings, we followed. Since we were more that slightly afraid of the BBB, we had not ventured over to that part of Deck 5. DH had (I'm still sure he was lost) and found this:

Yes - it's magic pirate art, that you steer, apparently while pulling the undies out of your bum, at least, if you have insisted on wearing your PJs to breakfast.

In fact, it just caused Conor frustration, so we bailed quickly. Sorry DH - you are not as cool as you had hoped.

After getting Conor into real clothes, we hoped that the CC rush had cleared below, and we got the child out of his PJs, and into swim gear, and headed out.

'Till tomorrow!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #98
superme80
DIS Veteran

Love your report!!! Smetimes I wonder if MY son is on vacation with you! So many similarities. Can't wait for the rest.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #99
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am really enjoying your trip report!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #100
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
Love your report!!! Smetimes I wonder if MY son is on vacation with you! So many similarities. Can't wait for the rest.
Ah, yes, the 4 year old boy brain - it is, I will admit, a totally fascinating place to visit. I'm glad you're enjoying the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post. I am really enjoying your trip report!
You're welcome, and thanks for following along.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #101
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Day 7 - Castaway Cay - in which we are, by the end of the day, actually, looking forward to getting home

I think we finally got off at 10:15 a.m. - we would have aimed to be earlier, but since it was on the cold side, we thought we'd give things a bit of time to warm up, and we didn't want to rush.

We had decided to take the tram, largely since we didn't want to tire out Conor before even hitting the beach, plus ... it's a TRAM! Very exciting in boy-land.

We got off at the family beach, found 3 chairs centered around an umbrella or two, and claimed our spots. While I was still sorting through our stuff, I looked down and saw this:

It was instant. DH captured this moment of total happiness:

Really, I could (almost) stop the CC report here- that's our boy. He could (and did) do this most of the day. Trying to get him to stop playing in sand to pee is beyond difficult.

Meanwhile, I ensured my comfort on a lounger, with my buddy Kobo. DH, being the adventurous one, headed off to check out the water and find beverages.

He came back reporting that the water was fairly cold, and he didn't want to take Conor in. At this point, Conor could not have cared less.

So, for about 2 hours, we sat, lounged, read, and played in the sand.

Lunch

I had read lots of dire reviews about CC food, so they served their purpose in that we were pleasantly surprised - it was totally fine. (We went to Cookies 2, if that matters.) The biggest challenge was de-sanding Conor enough for him to eat - I just brought a plate full of food back to our chairs, and we all ate there. Conor was excited by the corn on the cob, but since I was raised such that I can't eat the stuff unless it was picked the same day in a certain 2 week period in August, I refrained.

Bikes!

We bike a lot at home in the summer, so we were keen to try this out. Conor was quite worried that they wouldn't have bikes with training wheels, but they do have lots. Initially, he tried to persuade DH that he should ride on the back of one of the bikes (they say those seats will take kids up to 40 lbs, actually) but sitting on the beach does not equal exercise, kiddo, so pick a bike already.

Oh my. This is not something that happens quickly in boy-land. First, you rule out all pink and purple bikes. Then you pick 3 other bikes in quick succession, only to reject them for some reason or other. Finally, we found a nifty blue and orange bike (his fav colours, in case you had missed that subtlety in all the photos I've posted), so we were good. Once we played "find the helmet that fits" game, we were on our way.

This is a truly lovely idea - points for Disney. There is a nice loop, that they've embellished with "plane wreck" stuff, which Conor found fascinating. As usual, when biking with a 4 year old, it's not a quick process, but, who cares?

Checking out the plane.

Here he is standing on something (see why we don't go fast), telling some convoluted story about why Donald's plane crashed.

Checking out more wreckage - note the awesome colour coordination between bike and swimwear:

So - 3 firm thumbs up! for the bike deal. It's very manageable with a 4 year old, so long as you're not in a rush and you bring water. We just put our valuables in our back pack, and hoped that our other stuff would be OK on our chairs, and it was all there when we returned (mostly towels, bag of clothes, and a few snacks).

Wrapping up CC

We explorers clearly needed some ice cream at this point, so we rallied sufficient energy to make our way back to Cookies 2. It was about 1:30 at this point.

Conor then went back to the sand. I went back to my Kobo. DH was a bit antsy, so he decided to head back to the ship to pack.

Conor went back to the sand, and I went back to my Kobo. See why we get along well?

By 2:15 or so, Conor was interested in swimming on the ship, so we walked back. He was pretty sure he would perish along the way, but I was working hard on my parent of the year award, so I made him walk. Turns out, grapes have super-powers, so as long as he was munching on those, and because we were walking SLOWLY, he survived.

We waited about 5 minutes for a group of adults to finish their photo ops at the Mount Rushmore thingy - Conor was actually quite patient. As they seemed to be leaving, he jumped in (and who wouldn't?) only to be told to get out of the way as they needed to do more photos. Thanks, guys- way to keep in mind what's important in life.

We got through this, and had our bit of time with Mickey, etc., and made our way back to the ship.

Pool and Slide - again, and again, and again

Conor wanted to go directly to the pool (I'm in my swimming trunks mom!) but I persuaded him we should really pick up DH in the room. After subsequent intense negotiations, we got him into clean swim-wear.

DH and Conor went off to the pools, while I cooled down in the room - when I arrived, DH asked if I could spell him off at the Mickey slide stating: "Can you just stand here and say 'Sure' when he asks if he can go again?" It seems he was at about 10 slides at that point. I OK'd another 5 or 6. DH and I co-approved another 5 while we determined that I would head back to the room to pack without any "help".

90 minutes later, they returned - my boy was nearly blue with cold. (DH had procured beverages while I was up there, so he was happy.) In the end - Conor had insisted on going on the slide *40* times, at least with no exaggeration. Much cuddling was required at this point, but soon he was dressed in dry clothes and ready for supper.

And, more later!

Last edited by Conorama; 02-24-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Conorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #102
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Loving the report and sad that its almost coming to an end.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #103
Ensusieasm
Earning My Ears

Cool Love your report!

I am so sad to see that you are running out of days to report on. Your trip report has been so very entertaining and informative! Conor sure does look happy in the sand. Love his colorful and sensible sun protective clothing....and he really looks great on the bike he chose
Ensusieasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #104
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I am so sad that this is coming to an end. Can you just report on you daily life??

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #105
KarenMP59
DVC Member

Lol yes!!

Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea February 2001Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2004Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2005Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2009Fantasy Eastern Caribbean May 2012Fantasy Eastern Caribbean April 2013Fantasy Western Caribbean March 2014Wonder Alaska September 2014Fantasy Eastern Caribbean February 2015

DVC 1997
Too many visits to WDW to count
KarenMP59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: