Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Getting the Best Rate at DLH?

I know I've read things here about calling and speaking to a CM to get a better rate than advertised. I remember reading that you have to ask direct questions because they won't offer up the information voluntarily. Right?

So, what questions should I ask? We're only looking to stay there one night, at the end of our trip (to get the EMH for Wed. and Thurs, and to end our trip with some extra Disney magic). Right now I can get the room for the night of March 7th (taxes and fees included) for $375 on Expedia using their 15% promo ($312 before taxes/fees). Do you think it's likely at all that I'll be able to beat that by speaking to a DLH CM on the phone? I'm fine booking with Expedia if I can't beat their rate, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Are there any other super secret ways to get rooms on-site for less? TIA!
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,435

Disney is offering up to 25% off on their rooms until March 15, that will be the lowest you will see on site and only for a short time.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
Disney is offering up to 25% off on their rooms until March 15, that will be the lowest you will see on site and only for a short time.

Jack
I'm pretty sure that is only for AP holders. Right?
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
8timesblessed
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 472

The standard rate doesn't show up on the AP rate calendar. The view rate says it's $294. Standard on the 6th shows $266. Did you check lastminutetravel.com for their rates?
__________________
DVC member VGC since 2010
Mommy to 3 Princesses and 5 Handsome Princes
Me(42) DH(48) DS(15) DD(14) DS(13) DS(11) DS(9) DD(8) DD(8) DS(7)
1st trip VGC May 2010, WDW with 2boys 3/11, WDW all of us 10/11, DH and I DL 12/11, surprise trip for our youngest coming up 2/29-3/3! 6th birthday on Route 66 June 20-23. DL 12/1-10/12. DL 10/29-11/7. First Cruise May 2014 and WDW for Star wars weekend.
8timesblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds
 
blackjackdelta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So. Eastern Washington
Posts: 8,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDisneyMama View Post
I'm pretty sure that is only for AP holders. Right?
You are correct.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8timesblessed View Post
The standard rate doesn't show up on the AP rate calendar. The view rate says it's $294. Standard on the 6th shows $266. Did you check lastminutetravel.com for their rates?
I'm not sure what you mean. On Disney's website the rate for that night is $368. $294 would be awesome, but how do I get it? I haven't ever seen the Disney hotels on LMT, but I did go and check (I'm a member of their club), and they were not listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
You are correct.

Jack
Thanks, but we are not AP holders, unfortunately (some day!), so that doesn't help us.
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
ParkHopper1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 479

You first ask "what is the best available rate"...let them look it up, then ask "are there any other seasonal or promotional rates available?"...I have almost always gotten a better rate that way then the rack rate or AP rate.
ParkHopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
You first ask "what is the best available rate"...let them look it up, then ask "are there any other seasonal or promotional rates available?"...I have almost always gotten a better rate that way then the rack rate or AP rate.
Thank you!! This was exactly the information I was looking for.
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
rainyday77
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDisneyMama View Post
I know I've read things here about calling and speaking to a CM to get a better rate than advertised. I remember reading that you have to ask direct questions because they won't offer up the information voluntarily. Right?

So, what questions should I ask? We're only looking to stay there one night, at the end of our trip (to get the EMH for Wed. and Thurs, and to end our trip with some extra Disney magic). Right now I can get the room for the night of March 7th (taxes and fees included) for $375 on Expedia using their 15% promo ($312 before taxes/fees). Do you think it's likely at all that I'll be able to beat that by speaking to a DLH CM on the phone? I'm fine booking with Expedia if I can't beat their rate, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Are there any other super secret ways to get rooms on-site for less? TIA!
How do you get 2 early mornings? Wouldn't you just get one the checkout day as you wouldn't have a key check in morning? Thanks
rainyday77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday77 View Post
How do you get 2 early mornings? Wouldn't you just get one the checkout day as you wouldn't have a key check in morning? Thanks
They allow you to check in early (as early as 7, I believe, possibly earlier), and leave your bags. They give you your room keys then, even though your room isn't ready, and then they text or call you later with your room number.
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo
 
papamouse1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carlsbad, NM
Posts: 1,282

Honestly, the best way to avoid this whole scenario is to work with a Disney Vacation Specialist at one of many reputable agencies you hear about on the disney boards.... like Dreams Unlimited right here on the boards. I am with FTJ, and they are just like all the others... the difference between an an Earmarked DVS and just calling direct is the call line folks are simply interested in getting people booked and move on... DVS agents are more focused on spending time with the client from the booking right up until the trip. They track all discounts and even update your booking with new discounts if they come available and you qualify.... most importantly they have access to EVERY discount the people on the phone do.

Save yourself the hassle of having to try and manipulate them to just do their jobs (they should offer you best discount right off the bat), just with a good DVS agent and get the best rate right off the top.
__________________

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Iceman93
Mouseketeer
 
Iceman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 419

With all due respect, papamouse, you're a bit biased in offering that advice. In this day and age I can't imagine using a travel agent, particularly for something as simple as a one-night hotel stay. And your statement about what each is focused on is flawed--Disney call center agents don't get any commission, and I've found them cheerful as all get-out to find me great rates. A travel agent DOES work on commission, so the more expensive a room they book, the more cash they pocket.

I'm not saying you're like that at all, and I suspect that most Disney-focused travel agents really do enjoy helping their clients get the best deals and have the best time they can. But I think Disney's own agents do that, too, and for a one-night stay at a hotel I just can't see the value to adding another middleman to the equation.
__________________
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/pleasureislandlovers
Iceman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
With all due respect, papamouse, you're a bit biased in offering that advice. In this day and age I can't imagine using a travel agent, particularly for something as simple as a one-night hotel stay. And your statement about what each is focused on is flawed--Disney call center agents don't get any commission, and I've found them cheerful as all get-out to find me great rates. A travel agent DOES work on commission, so the more expensive a room they book, the more cash they pocket.

I'm not saying you're like that at all, and I suspect that most Disney-focused travel agents really do enjoy helping their clients get the best deals and have the best time they can. But I think Disney's own agents do that, too, and for a one-night stay at a hotel I just can't see the value to adding another middleman to the equation.
I agree with this. I actually did contact a travel agent (one who specializes in Disneyland vacations) before I booked anything and I wasn't impressed with what they could offer me. I was able to get things much cheaper by doing it all separately. Maybe I was just dealing with an agency that wasn't as good as others, but it came highly recommended, so I don't know. And for this last little bit of our trip (one night) it just seems silly to include another party in the planning. I can call and speak with a CM and get it taken care of. Every call center CM I've ever dealt with has gone above and beyond in the customer care department (the most recent being a UPS shipment from the Disney Store getting messed up and having to get that all straightened out; the CM was wonderful!).
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
sunshine1974
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 85

Could you share the Expedia 15% off code please? I'm hoping to go in March for the first time and any help would be appreciated.
sunshine1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1974 View Post
Could you share the Expedia 15% off code please? I'm hoping to go in March for the first time and any help would be appreciated.
Sure I found it on Mousesavers.

Quote:
Book any of the Disneyland hotels (Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian) through Orbitz and get 15% off rack rates for stays through 4/15/13. Use code PREZ15. You must book by 2/17/13.
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.