Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

Help me decide!

DH and I have an adult only dinner night built into our next trip in August. We have a reservation at Simba's Clubhouse for the boya and ressies at Sanaa. I keep second guessing the ressie and can't make up my mind between Sanaa and Boma. The flavors at both seem similar with the main difference being buffet vs a la carte. Opinions please!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
DentalDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Boma and Sanaa are completely different!
Sanaa has much more of an Indian influence.
I do like Boma, but prefer Sanaa in general. Add to that the fact that Sanaa's atmosphere is MUCH more conducive to a romantic date night, and there is absolutely no question that you should keep your Sanaa reservation.
Be sure to ask for a window seat.

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT
Boma and Sanaa are completely different!
Sanaa has much more of an Indian influence.
I do like Boma, but prefer Sanaa in general. Add to that the fact that Sanaa's atmosphere is MUCH more conducive to a romantic date night, and there is absolutely no question that you should keep your Sanaa reservation.
Be sure to ask for a window seat.
I tend to lump Indian and African cuisine in similar categories (works in my mind, lol). That said, both menus are on par with our palates! Thanks for the date night and window seating recommendation!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We're not fans of Boma because we think its really over priced. We did Sanaa last month and really enjoyed the meal there. Its also nice to be able to watch the animals from your table (as long as you go before dark) at Sanaa.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

Not to throw a wrench into your choices, but did you look at Jiko? Great place especially for an adult only dinner. Saana and Boma are two different atmospheres besides buffet vs. a la carte.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

If you were going to have a date night at AKL, I would suggest Jiko in lieu of the other 2. I know that you didn't include that one, but it is wonderful. I know that everyone has different tastes, but Jiko was one of the best meals we had on our June 2011 trip.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

We are trying Sanaa for the first time this year, so I can't comment on that one yet. I would definitely agree with the PP and suggest Jiko. It is one of our favorite places to eat and is a must-do every year. It is totally different from Boma and definitely more romantic!!
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

I just looked at Jiko's menu and got sticker shock!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I love Boma but it's crazy loud and not the place I would pick to eat for an adult only meal! I loved Jiko but now I'm more of a Sanaa fan! If you're picking strictly from AKV, then Sanaa would be my pick! The food is lovely, we're big fans of the soups and the appetizers, and the entrees as well!

But if I wanted a buffet and lots of different tasty choices and didn't care so much about ambiance & noise, then I would pick Boma!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Jiko is a fantastic restaurant, but it's in a whole different category and price range from the other two.
If you have it in your budget, it will be a memorable meal.
But, for it's category and price range, you can't beat Sanaa. I eat there almost every trip (will be there again on Tuesday). I'd say rave reviews to people who didn't like it is a 20 to 1 ratio....

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

If I had a kid free night with my husband in the happiest place on earth- you can betcha I would figure out a way to go to Jiko. Romantic, beautiful, and an overall great experience. I'd be throwing a tag sale a month before I went to make the extra 60.00 that Jiko would end up costing- but that's just me. I know everyone travels differently- but hopefully you'll at least keep it on your 'maybe' list as I think it's one of Disney's top 5 restaurants personally.

Of the other two choices- definitely Sanaa. Much much much more relaxing. I can't picture doing a date night at a buffet.

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Both are great restaurants and have something unique to offer. Each restaurant has excellent food, but the atmosphere of the two is very different. For a date night, I would go with Sanaa. It has a more intimate setting, where Boma can be loud. You'll be served versus making repeated trips to the buffet. Plus, if your reservation is before sunset, you could possibly get a table near the windows to see the animals while eating. I vote for sticking with your first decision and keeping Sanaa.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at Boma several times and have always enjoyed it. That being said, we ate at Sanaa in December for the first time and LOVED it! Amazing food, service, and view! This would be a wonderful "date" night meal. DW and I are hoping to be heading back in Sept. for our 20th anniversary if things work out (AKA house sells) and this will be on our list!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
FairestOfThemAll37
Mouseketeer

I much preferred Sanaa. They are both good, but Sanaa's atmosphere was much more pleasant to me. Especially if you are sneaking away for some adult time. Boma can be very loud and because it's a buffet people are constantly milling about and it's very hectic. With Jiko right next door as well and being in an open area Boma tends to be very loud with the waiting area.

All that being said, I have to admit that I am not really a fan of buffets so that influences my opinion. Whichever you choose they are both yummy!
FairestOfThemAll37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: